Mario says "we have got to change everything" !

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by nunusguy, Aug 22, 2007.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

"We have got to change everything as far as how I come out here and do things," Williams said. "We're looking at how I was coming off the ball and my point of attack and things like that. ... I'm going to change that up a little bit as far as how I'm coming out there on opposing tackles."
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5073885.html
    In the latest Chron article, looks like they are going back to the drawing Board.

2. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

I want to see Mario make big mistakes... the kid is thinking too damn much...
    don't be afraid of mistakes, make BIG ones, and the plays will come...

3. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Funny part is who he is going up against in the picture. Ben Steele - TE.

[​IMG]

4. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

So, after reading that article, can we finally put this 'motivation' angle to rest? Can we finally now accept that he is, afterall, trying his best, that he's not just going through the motions, or dogging it, or whatever?

And if you accept that, does it make you feel better, or worse?

5. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I think he'll be ok. Sometimes you have to tell the brain to shut it and just react. There is no questioning his physical attributes.

6. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Megan Manful wrote that article in such a way as to make Mario look and sound like an i.d.i.o.t.?

7. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

The faithful fan in me wants to accept that article and get that warm & fuzzy feeling that it's all going to be OK come regular season. I'm going to try to put aside the negative feelings about his play to date in hopes that he "brings it" when it matters most. (OPENING DAY) :wild:

8. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

Nah, I thought she wrote it in a way to make people chill out and feel a little sorry for the guy. Although, it is tough to feel sorry for someone with that many 0's on his bank account and then have that many 0's in a game....:gun:

9. Texan Asylum

Texan Asylum Christian

Maybe the team can collectively "BUST HIM IN THE MOUTH"! :bat:

Perhaps then he'll get mad enough to quit thinking so much and play ANGRY!

Just a thought...:shrug:

10. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I equate this to a little league baseball game and Johnny is at bat . His dad yells ... get your feet apart ... so he spreads his feet . His coach yells ... get your elbow up ... so now his elbows up . The assistant coach yells ... put your weight on your back foot ... and Johnny is now so tied up he could'nt hit a beach ball .

Errant Hothy and Mr teX like this.
  11. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

I'd like for him to just put his head down and run over people like he did against that Giants tackle last season, and then smash the QB. Get a couple of sacks like that and it's going to make the OT's think, thus opening up room for Mario's technique to come into play.

When you're built like a Mack Truck, run over people like a Mack truck.

N.D. Kalu said. "He's trying to do everything right, and it kind of takes away from his aggressiveness. I just try to tell him, 'Man, you're 6-7, 300 pounds, and you've got great explosiveness. Just use it and hit somebody in the mouth. Don't sit here and count your steps and worry about your hand movements. ... You've just got to be a freak.'

12. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

The article is actually kinda encouraging to me. We know Mario is gifted athletically and has the physical attributes to play DLine in the NFL. And apparently he very much, maybe even desperately wants to succeed.
    So he's certainly not apathetic and learning the mechanics then should come with time, though it may require a longer time for him than others.
    What may be missing though is the "mean-streak" that's the basis to bring a real intensity to his game. You know, the same kind of mentality that some said was missing from Seth Wand's game.

13. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

That may very well be the case. I'm with Marcus--bad results don't mean a lack of effort. Analysis paralysis can really slow you down.

14. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Well said, hopefully a coach will just grab him by the face mask and till him that his only purpose is to get the QB, screw everything else.

15. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Yeah, it appears manful wrote it in such a way as to garner sympathy, but it's all a process.

the quotes by his teammates were dead on:

"searching for his fastball..." & "he needs to stop thinking so much..."

I need to give Kalu & Weaver rep for that.

16. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I said this yesterday and it is probably too simplistic but to get a little confidence in him I would point to the QB and just say "get him." Maybe he makes some mistakes but I'd rather see aggressive mistake than caution. He needs to pin the ears back and just get into the backfield. Be a disruption whether it is a run play or pass. I'm not an moron. I know it is easier said than done but I think right now he has too many chiefs and his head is spinning

17. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

If this reasoning turns out to be true, we should realize that he's just been working on technique during preseason; but, I'd sure like to see him just get after it against Dallas and prove it.

18. real

real Guest

Does anybody remember the play last year in pre-season (I think it was the Rams?) where Mario was lined up on the left side and he ripped under the RT, the RT proceeded to grab his jersey, and Mario carried him and made the tackle on the RB in the backfield ?

The guy has shown flashes of being a good ball player, but he has yet to show me a flash of being a good to great pass rusher....

The guy is playing out of position...

19. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I like Kalu more and more everytime I hear from him. Last season he was one of the first to call out the team, this season he has made a few statements along this line (which I think are spot on), and he has also showed up and preformed in the preseason.

He is a good vet that doesn't hide his intentions and plays to win. Just a good guy.

20. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Where do you think is his best position? RDE?