Mario or Vince?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by ib4texans, Dec 7, 2006.

1. ib4texans

ib4texans Veteran

:twocents: I for one am more than happy with our draft pick. If you are a Carr hater or even on the fence, are you saying you would rather have Vince than Mario? Mario brings pressure that allows other players to be great. DeMeco is a great player hands down,but Mario has been making him better. I think alot of our D-line guys are playing up to Mario. I'm sorry but my picks would still be (1)Mario (2)Reggie and sorry to say my QB pick would be Jay Cutler not Vince. Cutler has Elway and Marino written all over him.:twocents:

Texans Horror likes this.
  2. Bamaborn-Texasbred

Bamaborn-Texasbred All Pro

The thing that upsets me the most is we could have two decent quality olinemen for those two picks that Oakland got for PBuch.

Micturating away a second and a third round pick for someone as useless as Buchanon is a whole lot worse than passing up on Bush or Young. By the way, I like Mario. I'm glad he's here. Oh, and don't forget moving up to get Babin! This franchise has made decisions that blow away the first pick in last years' draft, and not many people talk much about those. Remember Hollings? Wouldn't you like to have Julius Peppers instead of Carr right now?

Runner likes this.
  3. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

I think a lot of fans don't dislike Mario Williams. It's not about Mario over Vince. Personally, I was for drafting Reggie Bush and I was bummed out big time when we passed him up. As for VY, I've been a fan of his since his days at Madison High. What a lot of fans are mad or angered about is that with the no.1 pick you get value. I'm sorry, but I'll take a good QB over a good DE with the no.1 pick anyday. A QB does more for his team than a defensive end will ever do. Now I know other teams didn't want to trade up so our FO decided Mario is the best guy for us. I was upset with that pick but I got over it and I like Mario and I know what he brings to our team. With Mario and DeMeco our defense can be a great. And hopefully this week Mario, DeMeco, and most importantly the whole team will show that we are going in the right direction.

4. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I always thought they should have drafted Vince and I still think that way.

5. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

I think it is unrealistic to look back and say what should have been done. New info is available that wasn't at the draft. I think you say "I made this choice based on this info" and it worked or it didn't. If you are right, you get a paycheck. Wrong often enough and you don't. The frustration I have is McNair doesn't call me for advice...if he did? Well, I'd probably be without the paycheck.

6. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Mario, because he's a Texan. This fanatic doesn't cry over spilt milk. What's done is done. :howdy:

7. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

8. CaptainPatriot

CaptainPatriot Veteran

IMO Should have taken VY. Home Town Guy so much upside for VY coming here. Can always get a DE in next years draft!

9. Bamaborn-Texasbred

Bamaborn-Texasbred All Pro

It's over. No do-overs. We'll help each other move on.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I was on the Trade down or draft Vince Wagon. It didn't bother me we decided to Draft Mario with the #1 overall.....

As long as we didn't draft Reggie.

But.... while I haven't Argued that Vince is better than David right now..... which is only true in some aspects of their game... I'd be ragging on David Right now regardless how Vince is/was doing.

Bad QB play is bad QB play.

I don't necessarily want David replaced... I'd like to know that Kubiak sees these problems, and is working to fix them. So far, I'm not happy with his "we have to do a better job of finding what David is comfortable with" approach.

I'm also not satisfied with the fans who see the high QB rating (which doesn't take into account fumbles, or reluctance to throw the ball downfield), or high completion rating(which doesn't take into acount the reluctance to throw the ball downfield), and saying see.... David is playing better.

he's playing better because he's getting rid of the ball quicker..... not because protection has been better at any point this year than it has in past years....

We don't have a problem looking at our Linebackers, and pointing out which ones aren't playing well. It doesn't matter that Mario is the only one doing anything on the defensive line..... we know which linebacker isn't pulling his weight... we know which DB isn't working...

Same thing on offense, we should be able to look at individual players, and critique them based on their play.

When you watch the games at the stadium, you see the one on one coverage...... you see the seperation(not often, I'll be honest)....... you see the holes in the zones... & you (at least I am) have to wonder what is David thinking when he throws that dump off to the flats on 3rd & 4 when we have a guy wide open 8 yards down the field.

Or when you watch the Dallas game, and you see gross mismatches in our favor, and David doesn't even look at that reciever........ or he motions our TE to the Line, when he is being covered by a run stopping DE...... then runs the play to that side.... It's like, "David..... didn't you undertsand that we want to run the ball to that side, and it would have been easier if Greg Ellis was covering Owen on the sideline??"

Anyway, we need our QB to play better.... & we need some fans to get out of Denile.....

we need our OL to play better, no doubt..... but we need our QB to play better regardless.

11. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

The thing is, Mario affects games in ways that are very hard to notice, while VY almost always does it with the ball in his hands. As CoachDent pointed out a few days ago, the Raiders ran 22 times, but they only ran to Mario's side 3 times. Thats insane. The point of defense is to cotrol what the offense does, and I would say that is pretty much the definition of controling the offense. Also, he hit Brooks, forcing a bad throw and an interception. You will also see him running down WR's and RB's from across the field. He is probably the best athelet on the defensive side in the NFL, or at least in the top 3 with Peppers and Freeney. Stop whining about VY and enjoy watching Mario and DeMeco take other teams' offenses apart.

12. Big J

Big J Rookie

For those of you who truly beleive that Vince Young is better than Mario, please make an educated statement. Do not base what he has done at UT or what Sportcenter shows you as an indication of his true abilities.

He will probably become a great quarterback. But currently I am not so sold on his "greatness". Granted he might control the huddle and pick up third downs using his feet causing Defenses to play him differently...aka he is a playmaker. But what happens when he takes big hit after big hit in the open field. He might be stronger than Michael Vick but the same outcome is bound to occur.

Plus he makes many mistakes when he does throw the ball. I beleive he will eventually refine his skills in the pocket, but currently Mario Williams is a better player (he is playing injured lets remember).

Here is to DeMeco rocking Vince Young in the open field and make him think next time he tucks it down and runs.

13. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Mario or Vince is sort of a weird choice.

I truly believe that it is not just about the players. It also about team fit.

The Texans had to make a choice early on whether to keep Carr, a player that even his worst detractors believe had uneven QB coaching, little line help, little WR help, etc. A player who has been beat up a million different ways and didn't physically or emotionally fall apart.

They had to decide what to do with his contract before the draft and shortly after Kubiak was signed.

If you kept Carr and signed VY, despite John McClain's view to the contrary, it would have been a cluster, and a mess from the salary cap. Then you have two quarterbacks with question marks, AND you lose getting a quality defensive player.

If you kicked Carr to the curb then, you lost a perhaps salvagable QB and get nothing.

I know most of this thread is retrospective, but that's not how the NFL types get to deal.

I sometimes feel that Texans are jinxed such that even if we picked VY, we would still have the inconsistent running play, the offensive line problems, and maybe Ron Dayne would have broken Vince's leg in a freak accident or something. OH, and our defense would suck more than it has sucked.

Alternative history is a beach. You never know what woulda happened.

14. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

It's a mute point. Why ponder what will never be....

15. ib4texans

ib4texans Veteran

It's not a wierd choice if you take into context; all the VY whiners that wanted/still want him. The question isn't a hindsight question, who would you rather have Mario or Vince today?

16. shinerbock_girl

shinerbock_girl Hall of Fame

Mario all the way BABY!!!! :mario2:

17. Honch Delgado

Honch Delgado Veteran

Vince. Dan Reeves should pay back his consulting fees.

18. El Amigo Invisible

El Amigo Invisible All Pro

I think Mario is a good player but you do not pass on Superman.

I would take Vince, Mario, AJ Hawk

19. SLO Texan

SLO Texan Veteran

Super Mario any day of the week!!!!!!!

:fireball: :bowser: ...........Run Vince RUN!!!!!
    MW..............VY

Go TEXANS!!!! BEAT TITANS!!!!:fans:

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Many fans would be happy with Mario & Sage right now....