Mario Melt Down?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Fox, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Fox

Fox All Pro

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2007/10/kubiak_schaub_e.html

In Justice's chron.com blog he says Mario basically had a melt down in wednesday's media session and that he's been pretty unapproachable in recent weeks. I've never seen him to be a very media friendly person since he's gotten here, but I thought this year might be easier for him than his rookie year when the draft results were still hot off the press. I haven't seen or heard anything from the near "melt down", anyone have any info?

In other news, VY has been testy lately as well apparently.

2. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

I think he has had alot of pressure since he came in and it might be affecting him. It's not his fault with what happened in the 06 draft. But he has to produce and he really hasn't. He's been ok but not the player he was supposed to be. He's on pace to record 8 sacks this year which isn't bad but I expected double digits.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I don't perceive Mario as very smart. He put a lot of pressure on himself by predicting that he will break the NFL sack record.....I thought it was dumb then, and it looks even dumber now.

4. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

I think it's more of a maturity issue than inteligence or maybe both. But luckily, he is young and has time to become smarter and more mature.

5. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

Vinny,

I had never heard of that guarantee. When did Mario say that? Why in the world would any young kid come out and say something as ridiculous as that??

6. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

In all fairness to him, he didn't predict that he would break it, he just said he would like to. Which is an admirable goal for any young DE.

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Sure would be nice if Justice would up his journalistic standards and actually report what happened rather than just throwing out a provocative meltdown description.

That's the way I heard it as well.

8. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

9. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

I saw the video of the VY thing. It was no big deal. And Justice makes it out to being a bigger thing than it was. Solomon had the exact quotes and didn't exaggerate it into something it wasn't.

He doesn't provide much info as far was what Williams has said or done so it is hard to judge if Justice is making something out of nothing.

I don't trust most of the Chronicle reporting on Williams because of their emotionality about his pick and the incomplete reporting that they do related to him. Basically, the only semi-rational stuff on Williams that I've read in the Chronicle comes from Solomon and Zierlein. I don't always agree with what they say, but I don't feel like they are trying to be deliberately misleading.

McClain thinks it is his role to get Mario mad. He's said that repeatedly. I would settle for accurate. If that's what he sees his role as, well then, the local media shouldn't be surprised if Mario gets a little terse. He has never had particularly fair coverage in the newspaper.

I think there are legitimate criticisms of Mario's play, but I think usually McClain and Justice miss the mark about what they say.

10. Texans_Chick

He said it was a goal of his. He said it in an interview with Matt Mosley of ESPN.

11. Vinny

If anyone wants to see the video of this they can just click here. Justice is pandering again.

12. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

I would have a very hard time being nice/cordial to people that belittle you every chance they get. When he does have a good game, it's usually a backhanded compliment.

Vince is being a teamplayer and not putting himself above the team. Good move on his part. Of course he is lying but its a good thing to say.

13. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I saw the VY interview last night and it wasn't bad at all. He basically said last year was different and he made his point and this year he just wanted to win a division game and that we had a different team now. Respect for that.

14. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

As evident by the following:

Dick has an agenda, and he will pursue that agenda...journalism and professionalism be damned.

15. Texans_Chick

BTW, I am thinking that Richard Justice might be a coward of the highest level.

I often make comments in Chronicle blogs. Up until recently, they all get published. Except for on Justice's blog. I guess I am on his bad list. It happened to me once before, I just blew it off as maybe a mistake. But it happened again, so I am guessing I am blackballed. Here's what I wrote that he or someone else there was too chicken to publish. (Which is amazing, because they publish all sorts of ugly irrational stuff):

16. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

I have heard several times that when Mario gets mad or upset, he takes care of business.

Is he mad or upset this week?

If so, probably means a good thing!

Mario, go get'em!

17. Vinny

LOL, Justice will only publish things that make him look good or when other fans look like idiots. I think Jack Nicholson said it best...."He can't handle the truth!" I hope he is reading this...lame stuff RJ.

18. Fox

Fox All Pro

About Mario's intelligence - I must agree. I remember seeing Mario on Rome is Burning and it seemed like the guy had trouble forming complete sentences. Judging from his lambo video and the interviews I've seen, Mario isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer nor does he enjoy giving interviews. Luckily football players don't have to be very academically smart to be good at their jobs.

I'm not sure why Justice couldn't atleast give us a quote or example of how/why he said Mario had a melt down. I can't help but feel like he and McClain love to stir the Mario/VY pot every time an opportunity arises.

19. Vinny

Since we see that Young really wasn't portrayed correctly, I have no reason to assume Mario was either.

20. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Exactly... I read what he said, and took him to task about not giving us any kind of quote, audio, video, or even a comment from someone who heard it. In my comment, I equated it to how he would continuously make reference to how lots of Astros do not like Craig Biggio - but he would never say more than that.

Texans Chick nailed it... I don't dislike McClain or Justice - but when it comes to "matters of Mario" they seem to be coming from the wrong place... and that place isn't a 'journalistic' one - that goes for their articles AND their blogs.