Mario is on pace for 13 sacks

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by JamesBill, Nov 22, 2010.

1. JamesBill

JamesBill Veteran

If he gets 12-13 sacks this year do you resign him in the summer or let him enter the final year of his current contract in 2011?

2. machineo

machineo Rookie

Whatever Cowher wants to do.

Hervoyel likes this.
  3. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    48 (I think?) career sacks and none of them could possibly matter less.

Another huge waste of talent.

4. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

Mario certainly doesn't bring it every down of every game but he has had several big sacks. They would seem bigger if our DBs didn't give up the yardage plus 10 more yards after almost every sack he gets. I bring him back. I mean think about it. His sacks on Sanchez this last game were in great spots. He is better than average against the run. Today he played like the season was on the line.

Mike

5. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

After all you passed to up to get him, and all the criticsm you endured and what he did to even reverse some of that criticsm. Mario is the part of the solution here folks, you don't let him go into the last year of his contract and risk losing him.

Yesterday, Mario wanted to win.

6. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

Yah but the problem is he won't want to win again for another 2-3 games..

7. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Which makes it doubly important that you hire a coach who is capable of motivating Mario Williams. Guys like him are all over the league but they play their asses off for guys like Ryan or Payton or Belichick.

I know they all think the world of these coaches but who's making it their mission in life to show up every Sunday and play for 60 minutes week in and week out to show us?

Gary is an offensive "mind" but he's not a motivator. Nobody will run through a wall for Gary. Ever.

8. TrueTexanFan

TrueTexanFan Rookie

Mario would "look" a lot better if his supporting cast would help him out. I think that we need to spend some real money and get some real players to help. Brian Cushing was so worried about not hurting his friend, instead of trying sack his a$$. :smiliepalm:

9. 3rd and Inches

3rd and Inches NFL's La Migra

I think the only thing that could truly make Mario show up and perform 110% every play is by conspiring somehow that the other team scratched his Lambo. I could almost guarantee that would motivate him every play.

10. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

Rex Ryan motivated Mark Sanchez by filling Sanchez's SUV with Packing
    Popcorn.

11. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

No. But they will try to find an easier way around. Or maybe just take a nap and hope someone else runs through it first.

Players might really like the guy, but they obviously don't play their hearts out for him.

12. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Sorry but in no way shape or form could you ever convince me that this year Mario Williams is the problem with the defense. You could also never convince me that somehow any other player on the DL is playing better than him as well.

He will get re-signed and everybody will be fine with it.

dc_txtech likes this.
  13. houstonhurricane

houstonhurricane All Pro

Mario played like a beast yesterday. He really brought his "A" game. If we could find coaches that could get this type of play from him more regularly, this would be a no brainer. But if we go "status quo" with this staff, he is just wasted talent.

14. silvrhand

who said don't resign him, I'm not saying he is the biggest probelm with this defense but he as one of it's top players is a leader/role model whether he likes it or not, and if we see him taking plays off we know that the "TEAM" sees him taking plays off and that must be ok right?

No it's not...

15. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I think ragging on Mario Williams for "taking plays off" when the other 7/8ths of the DL is "just plain crappy" is pretty stupid. Maybe one season he won't have to account for 50% of the total sacks for the team. Maybe.

16. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Every other DE in the history of the game who put up double digit sacks in a season is better!

/sarcasm

17. silvrhand

LoL, you guys just don't get it.. if he is taking plays off everyone will take plays off it permiates the entire defense, it's NOT a good thing to have one of your best players consistenly taking plays off..

I'd rather have a guy that only gives us 8-9 consistent play all year long

18. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

It's literally hilarious that people here will exaggerate their hyperbole to the point that they believe the best and one of the most unhelped players on the Texans defense is some sort of root of the problem.

I'm sorry but the only thing Mario Williams has "consistently" done since getting here is putting up double digit sack seasons and become more beastly against the run than almost any DE I can think of that can put up his kind of numbers in the sacks, hurries, and hits department. He'll have games where he disappears, but there are few DE's in the league who have as much ability as him and who get a sack, or a TFL or a bunch of hits and pressures every single game. I hope our young DL players see putting up those kinds of numbers as something to strive for because they sure as hell aren't even close to matching his "disappearing" production.

Mr teX likes this.
  19. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

The whole "mario taking plays off" argument has been debunked so many times its not even funny yet some still feel the need to bring it out just b/c this guy isn't getting 3 sacks a game. As has been said by numerous sack artists & coaches, sacks come in bunches. The guy is a monster against the run & is basically the only real threat on the DL. His pralis playing against the run & him still being able to put up the sack numbers he does probably makes him the most complete DE in the AFC at the minimum. What the hell else do you want the guy to do?

20. FirstTexansFan

FirstTexansFan The Unknown Fan

win :)