Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mario IS Improving At His New Position

I was watching the Cowgirls this evening and Ware in particular. I did not see anything he did that Mario could not do as well eventually.

He's had his hand on the ground his entire career so, given time, I think he can be productive. That being said, I thought it interesting that Tillman intimated last night that returning to DE was a possibility? Is that Plan B?

I was watching the Cowgirls this evening and Ware in particular. I did not see anything he did that Mario could not do as well eventually.

He's had his hand on the ground his entire career so, given time, I think he can be productive. That being said, I thought it interesting that Tillman intimated last night that returning to DE was a possibility? Is that Plan B?[/

" to a man," Tillman is terrible at color analysis.

Anybody notice that on the long TD pass in the first half against the Texans the Saints neutralized Super Mario with a TE.
Anybody notice that Mario was the only Texan defender close to the QB on the play? Very similar to the previous 5 seasons.
Oh, he drove some guys back into Brees' face. IIRC, on the long bomb from Daniels to Morgan, Mario had driven his guy back pretty convincingly and was very close to disrupting that play. Too bad he didn't. :(
OK, TPN saw it.
Say what? Go back and look at the long TD play. The tight end came in motion and "manhandled" Mario and pushed him out of the way by himself.
But we're not mentioning the other guys, because that's not part of the agenda.
The Texans have won both of their games that they have played. Yet we're complaining about ?
JB, I'm still complaining about Kubiak not even watching the defensive drills or positional work during the training camp practices I attended.

Does it really matter? Would he have any advice to give if he had been watching? No. But, it still gets under my skin.

Anybody notice that Mario was the only Texan defender close to the QB on the play? Very similar to the previous 5 seasons.

OK, TPN saw it.

But we're not mentioning the other guys, because that's not part of the agenda.

JB, I'm still complaining about Kubiak not even watching the defensive drills or positional work during the training camp practices I attended.

Does it really matter? Would he have any advice to give if he had been watching? No. But, it still gets under my skin.

They had 5 players blocking the other 3. the point is Mario was handled easily by TE and was NOT close to getting Brees.

No, that will go unmentioned because it doesn't support their position. Mario would have been dominated by Jordan Black, too.

So you think Mario a seasoned vet playing new position at OLB should not have a more severe critique than a rookie Reed also playing new postion at OLB? I think Reed against #2s is fair comparison to Mario against 1s.

Bottom line is i think Wade will make the right decision on Mario in reference to how to utilize him eventually this year.

I am not sure the FO will make the right decision on what to do with him in the long run.

What I really think is Mario will be hurt just a little and this will be the reason he is not performing and the reason he cannot be traded and we end up with the compensation pick and of course cap space.

Again i think the Texans still need some players THIS year and Mario is our only asset that may make any sense or significant impact in this regard.

My opinion only.

Wow...pretty harsh. MW hasn't been the disruptive force a lot of us fans expected him to be even when he was playing DE. He played great in spurts, but never seemed to bring it every single down. He rarely took over games by himself. That was at a position that he played his whole career. What makes you think he's going to be any different at a new position, at which he's not physically suited to?

That's the thing , I'm not sure of he will become the beast that he's expected to . Im just not ready to judge him on how well he's going to be off of two preseason games. MW is looking better after 2 Preseason games then he did in training camp when I went .That alone is telling me he's trying to improve , and with that little determination I'm willing to hold judgement for at least game 3 of the regular season. I'm just tired of people going Off of 2 games where wade hasn't shown us his exotic packages . Remember how close MW always to the play , imagine how well the defense will look with some better coverage. ........ O wait JJo still hasn't played a down .

I'm just saying.

Do u even watch the games? im asking seriously b/c some of the crap you're spewing in here tells me that u dont. I mean really, you're bagging on this dude b/c he didn't intercept a ball while a 300 lber was trying to roll into his knee? Really? It wasnt enough for u that the guy blew up the play? Ridiculous.

People have been doubting this dude since he came into the league and he's proven them wrong at every turn. How people can still continue to do so is beyond me. Stop getting caught up in aethestics. he's not a super quick twitch guy ala dwight freeney & demarcus ware. he never will be. But for a 6-6 290 lb guy, he's still plenty quick to play olb in a 3-4 scheme. If u don't take my
word for it, go ask wade phillips. Just give him AND THE TEAM time to gel and adjust jeez....:vincepalm:

I'm generally one of his biggest supporters.

I may be using a little hyperbole here, but the main point is that this thread is bull.

If Mario is going to get it done as a LB, then he's going to get it done. All we have to do is sit back & watch.

There is nothing in these two preseason games to suggest that he is getting better as an OLB.

& no, he didn't blow that play up, it was blown up at the LOS.

Maybe their 2's are equivalent to our 3's

anyway, this whole discussion is fruitless. This is Wade's masterplan.
When I hear Wade say it's not working, then I'll believe it.

I already said I'd have left Mario at DE and found a speed rusher to play OLB - maybe traded up to get Von Miller or whoever was rated right below him (yeah, I know that would have been pricey)... but that's just me.

I'm not saying that it's not working, or that it won't work. Just don't see anything yet to get excited about.

& Mario the pass rushing probowler should be better than most 1s.....

That's what we are expecting from the #1 overall $14M man.

You also keep comparing him to the other de's that are making the transition, but the other guys aren't learning how to manage that height and weight. Mario made a comment that he feels 6'8" and that this is extremely foreign to him. Plus the other guys are playing two's and threes and what exactly is barwin doing against the ones?

I think that's the point.

Just watched Mario in the 3 plays after the long TD when he got neutralized.
I saw a ray of hope. He looked different on those three plays. Did anyone else notice this? Did anybody notice if Wade or one of the coaches got on him after the long TD because Mario look motivated on the next series. Always been Mario's MO but maybe these coaches can get through to him especially since this is his contract year.

Can you really say he's selflessly bought into this when all reports indicate he pitched a fit about being a 3-4 DE?

Never pitched a fit, stated he had concerns about the move becasue he never played in that system...

Antonio Smith pitched the fit, stating that the 3-4 defense was the reason he left Arizona and that he was too small to play DE in a 3-4....

dem da facts....

I think most people on here are more concerned about the team as a whole winning than they are about MW's play at OLB. If his play at OLB is lacking, then there's legitimate reasons to question the move.

Kubiak and DAVID CARR comes to mind in this case. Would it have been more of a distraction having a disgruntled MW at DE maybe demanding a trade? I'm not saying he would do that, but the possibility exists. Maybe WP figured he could give it a shot and see how it works out. Given time, the move very well could work out, but do the Texans coaching staff have the luxury of time? I don't think so.

fixed it...

I'm generally one of his biggest supporters.

I may be using a little hyperbole here, but the main point is that this thread is bull.

If Mario is going to get it done as a LB, then he's going to get it done. All we have to do is sit back & watch.

There is nothing in these two preseason games to suggest that he is getting better as an OLB.

& no, he didn't blow that play up, it was blown up at the LOS.

Even Kubiak is poo-poo'ing Mario's performance....

Kubiak on Williams, Reed and Tate
August, 21, 2011
AUG 21
7:11 PM ET

By Paul Kuharsky

Three notable comments from Gary Kubiak on three Texans coming out of the team’s second preseason game, a win over New Orleans Saturday night.

Kubiak on Mario Williams: “If you go back and look at the game of course he doesn’t have two or three sacks so that makes it easy to say that he wasn’t very good but if you watch he was very disruptive in the pocket. They tried to keep a tight end on him a couple of times and he did a good job of just throwing him back in to (Drew) Brees’ hip, so to speak and pushing the pocket and he played better in space and just assignment-wise, everything, he’s doing better. Reggie (Herring) and Wade (Phillips) are trying to get him settled down on everything he’s doing. It was just a big step forward. I think he’s really taking to what they’re trying to teach him, it is something totally different but you see him get better each day.”

Kubiak on rookie outside linebacker Brooks Reed: “No doubt, probably the one player right now showing the most vast improvement from day-to-day, practice-to-practice and game-to-game. I’ve talked about how he’s changing position, but just watching that when you coach this guy the next day it’s fixed so it’s really impressive right now. He was very impressive in the football game and continues to not only be defensively but also very impressive for Joe (Marciano) I think he has the chance to be an excellent special teams player. He was a big bright spot on the defensive side of the ball last night and he played very well.”

Kubiak on second-year running back Ben Tate: “You got to be able to protect the quarterback and he got his chances and stepped up and knew what he was doing. He was physical at the point so I was very encouraged by his whole game; not just his running, obviously that was good but he did handle himself well in protection too.”

Thanks to the Texans public relations staff for sending out the transcript.

In other words, a TE handled Mario Williams...but yet Mario won the battle because he pushed the TE back into Brees. Pfffttt....OK.

Everybody's doing the Spin Dance on Mario. He'll have a game where his man falls down and he gets a sack, and everyone will say "THAT is the Mario we know and love! Hooray! Hooray! Told you so!"

When your HC has to come out and say "Just because he didn't get a sack doesn't mean he's not good" or "He pushed his man back" or "He's getting better each day, he's taking to what they are teaching him" smells of rationalizing.

He doesn't have to be All-World right now, but it would be nice if he wasn't poo-poo'd either. I think every player in the Texans front 7, except Mario and Barwin, have touched or sacked a QB thus far (hyperbole, but go ahead and research it you stat junkies! LOL).

To me, I just don't think Mario is a thinker out there. He's not even a reactor, either. He's going to use his athleticism and try to out-athleticize his man, instead of making his own luck out there like others do. When Antonio Smith was interviewed on the sideline, he broke down every second of that play where he caused Brees to fumble...he set up his blocker, set the dude up to fail, and abused his man mentally and then physically assaulted Brees.

I don't remember seeing Mario take better angles, or figure out a way to out-think his blocker. It's like he uses his athleticism and often benefits from a blocker's blown assignment or some other circumstance (blockers double-teaming the wrong Texans defender, leaving Mario wide open for the sack).

Watch when Mario makes his first play in WP's 3-4 defense...it's going to be like when the USA Women's Soccer Team scored a game-winner off a Wambach header. People will be crying and hugging strangers in the street outside the sports bar. LOL.

Even Kubiak is poo-poo'ing Mario's performance....

In other words, a TE handled Mario Williams...but yet Mario won the battle because he pushed the TE back into Brees. Pfffttt....OK.

Everybody's doing the Spin Dance on Mario. He'll have a game where his man falls down and he gets a sack, and everyone will say "THAT is the Mario we know and love! Hooray! Hooray! Told you so!"

When your HC has to come out and say "Just because he didn't get a sack doesn't mean he's not good" or "He pushed his man back" or "He's getting better each day, he's taking to what they are teaching him" smells of rationalizing.

He doesn't have to be All-World right now, but it would be nice if he wasn't poo-poo'd either. I think every player in the Texans front 7, except Mario and Barwin, have touched or sacked a QB thus far (hyperbole, but go ahead and research it you stat junkies! LOL).

To me, I just don't think Mario is a thinker out there. He's not even a reactor, either. He's going to use his athleticism and try to out-athleticize his man, instead of making his own luck out there like others do. When Antonio Smith was interviewed on the sideline, he broke down every second of that play where he caused Brees to fumble...he set up his blocker, set the dude up to fail, and abused his man mentally and then physically assaulted Brees.

I don't remember seeing Mario take better angles, or figure out a way to out-think his blocker. It's like he uses his athleticism and often benefits from a blocker's blown assignment or some other circumstance (blockers double-teaming the wrong Texans defender, leaving Mario wide open for the sack).

Watch when Mario makes his first play in WP's 3-4 defense...it's going to be like when the USA Women's Soccer Team scored a game-winner off a Wambach header. People will be crying and hugging strangers in the street outside the sports bar. LOL.

Im starting to feel this way more everyday. I said this before and Ill say it again. If Mario isn't cutting it at OLB, at what point does the brass say, our jobs are on the line, we need the best players at each position that give us the best chance at winning? What if Reed keeps improving to the point that its obvious that he needs to be on the field and Mario is still not getting it? Do you make Mario move back to DE against his wishes? I think its more than obvious Mario was unhappy with the idea of playing DE in a 3/4. Do you really want him playing unhappy at a position he doesn't want to play at?

Mario just isn't explosive enough to play OLB. He's never been a speed guy off the edge and he never will. Unfortunately he thinks he is. If the coaches aren't going to man up and tell him he needs to move back to DE for the better of the team then at least move him to ILB and let Cushing move outside. At least in there his size and athletic ability could make a difference.

I just hope this doesn't turn into another you know who situation. Draw a line and say this is as far as we go with this. He is playing a position we cant afford to have average play from. We need someone who will make a difference there.

Barwin is another one. Where is the production we are supposed to be seeing from him? At this point I would at least give Reed a shot with the first teamers to see if he can take the opportunity and run with it. But according to Kubiak even though Reed's getting better by the day all he has to say is, "I think he has the chance to be an excellent special teams player".

I think that's the point.

That other guys have felt more comfortable faster?

That's not what you said.

You said he hasn't shown any improvement. I disagree with that. He looked more comfortable to me defending the run. Pass rush wise he looks the same as he always has.

...But according to Kubiak even though Reed's getting better by the day all he has to say is, "I think he has the chance to be an excellent special teams player".

I saw that, as well.

This is what I am talking about when I say that Bob McNair has his hands way more into the operations of the football side than people claim. Supposedly, it was Rick and Gary (or just Rick...or just Gary, depending on who is posting on this topic) who screwed up and hired Richard Smith and later on Frank Bush for the d-coord position. My contention with that speculation is that David Carr and Dunta Robinson both stayed here one year longer than they should have...so whose fault is that--Gary or Rick?

Neither. It was Bob's call. Kubiak read the Kool Aid "red" writing on the wall when he interviewed for the HC job here, and wisely so! So he sticks with Mr. Mittens for the obligatory 1-year date that Bob arranged for both of them, but the wedding was cancelled and Kubiak set out to find the guy at QB that HE wanted for the job. Makes a wise choice.

Then, for some damn reason, someone somewhere (Bob, again) decides to franchise tag Dunta Robinson after the guy is coming off a major injury. Things got ugly, quick. But still, someone somewhere (Bob, obviously) decided that he wasn't going to let go of DR even if DR didn't want to be here.

If Bob wants it, he gets it--For the ultimate example, look at how he retained Kubiak as HC and brought in Wade Phillips. Granted, the two best decisions the owner has made, seemingly to this point, has been the GK and WP hirings. But I think he's made other moves that set us back. I happen to feel that the owner--of any team--is going to ultimately make the tough calls, not the HC and GM.

Which brings me to this issue with Mario Williams. Bob is 0-for-2 with trying to keep guys on the Texans whom he thinks are "Franchise Guys," so to speak. For me, I just have to begin to believe that Bob gets a soft spot for certain guys, and that's that...the guy stays no matter what.

I don't see Mario getting any positive mileage out of being an OLB in this 3-4 system. As someone else has stated here, his best bet is to make his hay through the middle of the line...finding gaps to exploit and taking a straight shot at the QB, right up the nostrils of the O-Line.

But for some reason, I believe that he will be used as a DE that's not really a DE...and not really an OLB either. He's some sort of hybrid, I'm Mario And I Have a Special Role type of position out there. I dunno. Color me unimpressed. And as for the talk that he's a decoy, or he's being used to contain and will get his chances at some point? That's what they said about Reggie Bush...and his contract was too hot to handle for the Saints. They cut bait and ran from it. We won't do the same, IMO.

Good news? It seems we have plenty of LB talent out there to coddle this experiment the whole season if that's the case.

I still say there's going to be some flittering hearts and swooning going on when Mario has a 2-sack game somewhere. It's going to be a party like 1999 up in here. ;)

Say what? Go back and look at the long TD play. The tight end came in motion and "manhandled" Mario and pushed him out of the way by himself.

You're right. I took a look at another couple of plays from that corner that I thought I saw him bullrush but couldn't find it.

I'm pretty sure I saw it happen, though.

Not to turn this into a Kareem Jackson thread, but who was he supposed to be covering on the play?

Kubiak said they were supposed to be playing quarters and someone (like maybe KJ) thought they were playing halves. If they had been playing halves, then Manning would have had the deep zone on that side but if they were playing quarters, then KJ should have been responsible for him, I think (although the WR was running where the seam would have been between the two zones so it's iffy whether both guys should have picked him up.)

Ive heard Antonio Smith say that no one has been able to stop Mario in practice when he turns it on and get it right. Id be curious to just hear who the Olinemen would rather go against for a whole game, bc Reed and Mario have complete different plans of attack when it comes to rushing.

That's the thing , I'm not sure of he will become the beast that he's expected to . Im just not ready to judge him on how well he's going to be off of two preseason games. MW is looking better after 2 Preseason games then he did in training camp when I went .That alone is telling me he's trying to improve , and with that little determination I'm willing to hold judgement for at least game 3 of the regular season. I'm just tired of people going Off of 2 games where wade hasn't shown us his exotic packages . Remember how close MW always to the play , imagine how well the defense will look with some better coverage. ........ O wait JJo still hasn't played a down .

I'm just saying.
What I'm saying is that MW was only a beast sometimes at his natural position. Kinda like a werewolf or....never mind...family friendly and all. Anywho, if the man is only beast at his natural position, why should anyone expect him to be a beast playing an unnatural position? It would be a different story if he making 1/5 his current salary and the Texans had more than one "winning" season to brag about, but it isn't. Besides, McNair has pretty much said playoff or bust for Kubiak and Co. They need W's right now, so it would be prudent to put the best players on the field. MW doesn't seem to be one of our best players in this new scheme.

Omg dude did you not read any of the post before yours? Andre has been playing wr his whole career , MW is playing a whole new position . Tell me if you would like me to explain this to you in better detail . I could try by typing it slower or maybe even call you and saying it slowly.

Maybe if you didn't have his jock hanging off your chin I would better understand. Superstars make plays. Period. He's going from DE to OLB not to CB! Every year it's the same thing. Oh he's hurt, oh he almost got that sack. This transition from DE to OLB has been made before. This isn't anything unheard of. Mario is good, not $14M great. We need great.

Ive heard Antonio Smith say that no one has been able to stop Mario in practice when he turns it on and get it right. Id be curious to just hear who the Olinemen would rather go against for a whole game, bc Reed and Mario have complete different plans of attack when it comes to rushing.

Me personally, I'm tired of hearing "when he turns it on". He's PAID to be on. Deliver! That's my gripe. There is ZERO doubt about what he can do when he wants to. Question is, why doesn't he want to?

Me personally, I'm tired of hearing "when he turns it on". He's PAID to be on. Deliver! That's my gripe. There is ZERO doubt about what he can do when he wants to. Question is, why doesn't he want to?

Mario does not have that all consuming desire to win. Football is not his life. No one so far has found the key to motivate him. He is a gentle giant. He "wants" to but it is not in his heart. I assume his team mates are trying to motivate him, I know the coaches have tried but so far it has not been successsful. This is what is so frustrating about Mario. Maybe this coaching staff can get more out of him.

I think it's kind of funny that People are saying reed should take marios snaps or whatever.

He's played more snaps so he's had more of an opportunity to show himself. Last week he played well but didn't do anything spectacular. Against the saints he was unblocked on a play and matched up against dudes that likely won't play past the fourth pre season game and now he is the second coming.

Mario has never been a jump off the screen flash player on a down to down basis, but the guy makes plays. He's been this teams most consistent d lineman since he's gotten here and no one has gotten to the qb more.

It's wades job to figure out how to keep him successful.

Anyone know what Mario Williams scored in the wonderlic? remember that first season the coaches tried something similar & moved him all around trying to find more production, how did that work out? Then they planted him as RDE & Mario had his most productive season. Beer gut says this is a mistake to move Mario again, they just keep making excuses. By the way Jason Allen scored 11.

Mario does not have that all consuming desire to win. Football is not his life. No one so far has found the key to motivate him. He is a gentle giant. He "wants" to but it is not in his heart. I assume his team mates are trying to motivate him, I know the coaches have tried but so far it has not been successsful. This is what is so frustrating about Mario. Maybe this coaching staff can get more out of him.

Seems a lot of people forget that Mario plays through injuries and still accomplishes all that he does...

Seems a lot of people forget that Mario plays through injuries and still accomplishes all that he does...

I don't think this is about bashing MW as it is wanting to see this team succeed. MW fought thru injuries and accomplished things as a de. Even then he wasn't the force he is capable of being. If MW is the best player we have at that position, play him. If we have better options, play them. At $14 mil MW makes way too much to be a bench warmer

I do agree that he needs to be the best player at his position by game 1 of the regular season or whoever is still better should start. If he needs practice to get better, that's what practice is for.

Agreed.

Mario's plan of attack seems to be to engage the blocker and run in place, or go so wide that he's out of the play/out of the picture. Reed gets to the QB.

What I'm saying is that MW was only a beast sometimes at his natural position. Kinda like a werewolf or....never mind...family friendly and all. Anywho, if the man is only beast at his natural position, why should anyone expect him to be a beast playing an unnatural position? It would be a different story if he making 1/5 his current salary and the Texans had more than one "winning" season to brag about, but it isn't. Besides, McNair has pretty much said playoff or bust for Kubiak and Co. They need W's right now, so it would be prudent to put the best players on the field. MW doesn't seem to be one of our best players in this new scheme.

Agreed here, as well. But with Bob McNair, it's my opinion that you don't always have to be "great" at what you do...especially if there's some sort of sentimental or perception value that Bob places upon you. I'm all for loyalty, but the loyalty-to-a-fault is frustrating as a fan of a team.

Maybe if you didn't have his jock hanging off your chin I would better understand. Superstars make plays. Period. He's going from DE to OLB not to CB! Every year it's the same thing. Oh he's hurt, oh he almost got that sack. This transition from DE to OLB has been made before. This isn't anything unheard of. Mario is good, not $14M great. We need great.

Yeah, Mario seems to be the only guy who fights through injuries. He's a gamer. Good vs. Great is the key issue, for me, which you are pointing out.

I just think there's a mental or emotional disconnect there. If he didn't have the raw athleticism he has, he'd be Amobi Okoye's twin brother.

Agreed.

There should be no sacred players who are above scrutiny here. Especially the guy who is said to be the best d-lineman we've had. I think those days are vanishing.

Then I would have Cushing on one of the OLB, I think one of Cushing's true gifts is hunting down the QB.

Wade has said he likes to blitz up the middle a lot, and Cushing will be bringing the pressure a fair amount. I think this is a pretty solid idea in our favor, having Cushing trying to get past a guard rather than a tackle. Wade even mentioned Bradie James got 8 sacks from this position (in 08 in case you were wondering).

I'm more concerned about Cushing at this point of the pre-season. I understand it was his 1st game back, but dadgum. If he wasn't getting blocked out of the play he was riding the RB for a 5-6 yard gain. I saw way too many 3rd and shorts due to runs up the middle.

Wow...pretty harsh. MW hasn't been the disruptive force a lot of us fans expected him to be even when he was playing DE. He played great in spurts, but never seemed to bring it every single down. He rarely took over games by himself. That was at a position that he played his whole career. What makes you think he's going to be any different at a new position, at which he's not physically suited to?

Perzactly right.

Repped.

:coffee:

I'm more concerned about Cushing at this point of the pre-season. I understand it was his 1st game back, but dadgum. If he wasn't getting blocked out of the play he was riding the RB for a 5-6 yard gain. I saw way too many 3rd and shorts due to runs up the middle.

His tank is empty, outta juice.

I don't think this is about bashing MW as it is wanting to see this team succeed. MW fought thru injuries and accomplished things as a de. Even then he wasn't the force he is capable of being. If MW is the best player we have at that position, play him. If we have better options, play them. At $14 mil MW makes way too much to be a bench warmer

"Re-emergence of the 3-4
More and more teams are switching from 4-3 fronts to 3-4 alignments since the versatility of the outside linebacker allows defenses to disguise pressure effectively. In 2007, about 30 percent of the NFL employed a 3-4 scheme; that number swelled to almost 50 percent last season.
Because a 250-pound outside linebacker is much more capable of covering a tight end or fitting into a zone-blitz scheme than a 280-pound defensive end (while still providing equal pass-rushing abilities), coaches are on high alert for these unique talents. There's a strong market for "tweeners," players who are caught in the crossroads between the outside linebacker and defensive end roles.
Drafting these undersized collegiate defensive ends and converting them to bulky, yet speedy, outside linebackers has become common practice. Tamba Hali and LaMarr Woodley are prime examples of this; their potent combinations of strength and speed give their defensive coordinators endless possibilities. McShay projects a few such picks in this year's first round, notably UNC's Robert Quinn and Arizona's Brooks Reed."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6410802

Maybe MW will make the transition.... but he doesn't fit the "profile".

Sounds like Wade picked a likely replacement in case the experiment doesn't pan out.

I just hope he doesn't wait too long to pull the plug if it isn't working.

"Re-emergence of the 3-4
More and more teams are switching from 4-3 fronts to 3-4 alignments since the versatility of the outside linebacker allows defenses to disguise pressure effectively. In 2007, about 30 percent of the NFL employed a 3-4 scheme; that number swelled to almost 50 percent last season.
Because a 250-pound outside linebacker is much more capable of covering a tight end or fitting into a zone-blitz scheme than a 280-pound defensive end (while still providing equal pass-rushing abilities), coaches are on high alert for these unique talents. There's a strong market for "tweeners," players who are caught in the crossroads between the outside linebacker and defensive end roles.
Drafting these undersized collegiate defensive ends and converting them to bulky, yet speedy, outside linebackers has become common practice. Tamba Hali and LaMarr Woodley are prime examples of this; their potent combinations of strength and speed give their defensive coordinators endless possibilities. McShay projects a few such picks in this year's first round, notably UNC's Robert Quinn and Arizona's Brooks Reed."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6410802

Maybe MW will make the transition.... but he doesn't fit the "profile".

Sounds like Wade picked a likely replacement in case the experiment doesn't pan out.

I just hope he doesn't wait too long to pull the plug if it isn't working.

History repeats itself.

Kubiak told McNair he could transform David Carr into starting caliber NFL QB

Wade probably said he would move Mario to OLB & become next DeMarcus Ware.

:wesmantexanfan:

History repeats itself.

Kubiak told McNair he could transform David Carr into starting caliber NFL QB

Wade probably said he would move Mario to OLB & become next DeMarcus Ware.

:wesmantexanfan:
Remember what came next? A huge deposit to Carr's checking account. Mario is smacking his lips.

"Mario's plan of attack seems to be to engage the blocker and run in place, or go so wide that he's out of the play/out of the picture. Reed gets to the QB."

The statement above is just so true. How many times have we seen Mario try to rush wide and get pushed out of the play? Is he just encapable of tryin' a spin move at some point and redirect inside at the QB? And Kubiak is constantly telling us that, while we may not have seen it, he watched the tape and Mario was AWESOME!!!!!

Well, maybe he didn't say awesome but apparently seeing Mario doing well involves watching game tape. Just don't expect to see it on your tv.

I do hope he gets it and starts playin' angry and not look like he's afraid of makin' a mistake cuz that's how he looks most of the time......

If he only had JJ Watt type of instincts he might be gold.
I'm just looking forward to Wade mixing things up during the regular season.

I would really really really like to see Mario and Watt lined up at DE on occastion with Reed being WOLB and Barwin at SOLB.

Last edited:
Why is everyone giving barwin a pass? At least Mario has shown up making a few plays in both the run & pass game & has shown improvement...... we can argue about how much improvement that is but he has shown improvement. Barwin on the other hand has done NOTHING in either of the 2 & in neither of the games. & honestly if there's 1 player that Reed's destined to take snaps from at the olb spot its Barwin. He also hasn't shown he can be force anywhere on a defense and he wouldn't be as big of a loss if we chose to lose him next year....unlike Mario. yet what is it that people come in making threads about?

Further proof that people here hold Mario up to an unrealistic & many times unfair standard. if he's not getting a sack every 3rd & long, he sucks.

Why is everyone giving barwin a pass? At least Mario has shown up making a few plays in both the run & pass game & has shown improvement...... we can argue about how much improvement that is but he has shown improvement. Barwin on the other hand has done NOTHING in either of the 2 & in neither of the games. & honestly if there's 1 player that Reed's destined to take snaps from at the olb spot its Barwin. He also hasn't shown he can be force anywhere on a defense and he wouldn't be as big of a loss if we chose to lose him next year....unlike Mario. yet what is it that people come in making threads about?

Further proof that people here hold Mario up to an unrealistic & many times unfair standard. if he's not getting a sack every 3rd & long, he sucks.

Not everyone!
Barwin is another one. Where is the production we are supposed to be seeing from him? At this point I would at least give Reed a shot with the first teamers to see if he can take the opportunity and run with it. But according to Kubiak even though Reed's getting better by the day all he has to say is, "I think he has the chance to be an excellent special teams player".

If we are basically treating Mario like a DE anyway, why don't we let him put his hand down?

What's the big deal?

It's not like we're trying to hide the fact that he's going to be rushing the QB.

That's how I feel. If you look at any other teams fans opinion of Mario it is simply. "That man is a beast, I wish he were on our team." yet here it is "Meh, he doesn't go 100%" (even when he's physically not 100%) or "he should be doing much better."

Lurking the Jets board during the whole Nnamdi thread, there was a thread discussing if they could get Mario, every single one of them was drooling at the prospect.

I guess Mario did go #1 so people have these really high standards for him. But he's still a top DE in the league and we would be mistaken if we think he's replaceable IMO.

Can he play OLB? I don't know, we'll see. It's preseason so Wade could just be toying with him right now and seeing what he's capable of. I expect to see his hand on the ground a lot during the regular season.

Wade's an actual DC so he's not just going to put his best players in bad positions.

If he only had JJ Watt type of instincts he might be gold.
If only he had a JJ Watt motor. MW is orders of magnitude more physically gifted, he just lacks the heart and try to go all out every single snap he's on the field. That's the one thing in this sport you can't coach, and I include speed in that equation. Either the desire to dominate is there or it isn't. That was a major flaw of HWWNBN. You can't half-ass it and be considered a "great" on talent alone in the NFL. You have to have a burning desire to be the absolute best and prove it emphatically every snap you;re on the field.

Back