Mario compared to Peppers

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by hot pickle, Nov 13, 2006.

1. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

i know theres a link somewere around here comparing the two guys, but is it just me or does julius peppers look alot leaner then mario does, and peppers looks faster out on the field, so i think mario should lose acouple pounds (10-15) and i think he will be alot quicker next season.

what do yall think

i know this thread is kinda useless, but just incase mario does come to these boards, its jsut a suggestion

2. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Peppers is only comparable to Peppers. he is amazing. He hustles harder than any other DL player I've seen. He's literally everywhere

3. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

yeah thats what im kinda sayin, if mario would lose some weight, i think that he can hustle as much as peppers does

4. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Just think, Peppers was on the board and we opted for Carr.

5. joedinkle

joedinkle Veteran

From what I recall, they(peppers and williams) ran the same 40 times at the combine, so the extra size just makes him stronger. yes i know, 40 times arent everything. i think mario is currently just suffering from his foot. that and he's still learning the game.

6. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Mario is an inch taller & 10 pounds heavier.

And he still ran a faster 40 than Peppers at the combine... barely.

7. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Keep in mind that Mario is 21 years old. He hasnt even fully matured physically. I dont think messing with his weight would be in his best interest right now.. just let him focus on learning the game, and getting his technique right. In 2-3 years.. dropping 15-20 pounds may be a better option for him.

Sorta like Strahan of the Giants.. he dropped alot of weight, but he is as strong as he was before. I guarantee you if Mario lost weight right now, the strength would go with it.

8. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

I cant wait to see Mario next year or two years down the road when he has everything down and can react instead of think.

9. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

And a darn good thing, too. Or we'd be the ones with the QB controversy, not Jacksonville.

10. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Pepper has more lateral agility and probably if anything has some trouble staying 285ish he is listed at. I would bet that he is closer to 275 by season end. BTW, espeically after watching Greg Ellis (pre-injury), Peppers could have played OLB in the 3-4, but I digress.

Mario williams is a naturally big strong human being. I am thinking he will play at 300-305 during the peak years of his career. He has outstanding straighline speed, but it takes awhile for him to get to his top speed. He moves ok laterally, but is nowhere close to Peppers in that category.

A fairer comparison to Williams is actually Richard Seymour of NE.

Runner and texasguy346 like this.
  11. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

I really dont know the difference, personally ive been asking this question in my avatar for the past week now . . .

12. Mysteryhunt

Mysteryhunt Veteran

i think ryans is like peppers in terms of motor. i've never seen one guy make so many plays.

13. phantom17

phantom17 All Pro

I think it will be better to compare Mario to Julius when Mario has 2 yrs of pro experience under his belt.:mario2: :mario: :fireball:

14. joedinkle

joedinkle Veteran

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jones/061113&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos2

check about the top third of the page, a few paragraphs under the picture of Mario.

15. Boris

Boris All Pro

Good find! I posted the article from joedinkle's link @ http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page...ge=jones/061113

16. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Here's a link: The ultimate Mario Williams Compendium

Williams actually had lower body fat that Peppers coming out of school.

Framewise, he could gain more weight.

He is not moving very well right now because he is playing hurt. He has plantar fascitis.

This is what Kubiak said:

“Well, first off, Mario’s playing injured for his football team. You know his foot is bothering him. We have got to as coaches be smart in how we get him to every Sunday, so practice and stuff is going to be very touchy for us. And we’ll follow (head athletic trainer) Kevin (Bastin)’s advise on that. But Mario is playing hurt, and he’s giving it up for his teammates. But he will continue to do that. I thought he played hard yesterday. It’s definitely bothering him. We’re just hoping if we can handle him the right way it will hopefully get better. But the fact that he’s fighting through it says a lot of what he’s about because there’s a lot of attention on him and he’s not 100%. But he fought through it all day long.”

You could see it when he tried to chase guys downfield. I remember one play late in the game where he was really hobbling.

17. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Mario is not Peppers. Peppers is not Mario. Their games are very different. Didn't anyone watch the iso on Peppers last night after his second sack?

Peppers is leaner, quicker, more agile and more explosive out of the blocks. He excels with the quick move to the outside where he can speed rush around the tackle.

Mario is thicker, more powerful and raises havoc by overpowering blockers more than by going around them with quick chops or swim moves.

Both have great lateral pursuit.

Both are great athletes.

Mario is only 21 and will only improve as he refines technique.

Mix Peek and Mario's DNA in a vat and you get Peppers.

Peppers is the super freak power forward that can run the floor. Mario is the big body power forward that will wear you out in the paint.

Right now they are different players with different games.

18. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Agreed. (Though technically, Mario was leaner coming out of college--he likes nice looking abs.)

The Peppers-Williams comparison is best suited for the purposes of those wondering whether the Texans were completely smoking crack when they took Williams. As a shorthand and not a true comparison.

There are not that many physically gifted DEs to compare him to for the purposes of projecting performance.

Peppers was taken 2nd in the draft. He had amazing physical gifts coming out of school, nice stats, some complained he took plays off at got fat stats against inferior opponents. (Check out the draft materials from 2002 if folks don't remember).

Some of the same comments were made (and are made) against Williams, a player that came out as a true junior and not a red shirt junior like Peppers.

But no, their games are not the same.

19. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

By leaner I meant different body type. But I really dont care to get into a debate about players' body fat. I've seen both of these guys - Peppers when he was here for the Lombardi a few years ago and Mario numerous times this summer. The point is they are different body types which translates somewhat to their different games.