Mario a DE, Cushing could go either way according to Phillips

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Jackie Chiles, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7369934.html

"Ends Mario Williams and Antonio Smith will be excited to know that in the Phillips 3-4, they will line up farther outside and have responsibility for only one gap."

“Mario’s powerful,” Phillips said. “He can be a dominant player. I want him to get up the field. He gets good leverage. He’s strong against the run. It’s a matter of helping him, technique-wise, and putting him in position to take advantage of his talent.”

"From watching film, Phillips isn’t sure if Brian Cushing will be more effective inside or outside."

This is pretty much as expected, I still see Cushing finding a home on the INSIDE seeing as, while he can blitz effectively, he isn't a true pass rusher. He would be serviceable at the outside but I think if we find another real threat our pass rush would be legitimate for the first time...... ever. Saying that Brian could play either position also keeps other teams guessing when draft day rolls around. Hopefully no team jumps ahead of us and grabs some OLB we covet at 11. Just my opinion. Also nice to see that Mitchell will get a shot at nose, I think he has a chance to make a name for himself there.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Im of the opinion that Mitchell is much the same type of player as 0k0ye .... and I really feel like he's better suited as a 34 DE than a DT in any system. Maybe Phillips see's something in him that I dont .... or that he hasnt shown us.

3. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

I liked what I saw of mitchel towards the end of the year he has consistently gotten better with a coaching staff that his horrible.. He seems to be an antonio smith jr IMHO.

4. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

Is this your opinion based on watching the players and the way they play, or based on what was said about Mitchell when we drafted him?

I'm asking because I am never in a position to really figure out what the DLine is doing or even who is in on a play most of the time, unless they are the one making the play. I know that they touted Mitchell as another Amobi pass-rushing type of tackle but it's not like I can actually tell that without watching game tape (which I don't have).

nero THE zero likes this.
  5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Earl is a converted TE that switched @ Arizona to DT. The physical pounding @ the nose would wear him down too much as a starter, but he could provide depth. don't see him or Okoye as starting DE caliber they both lack height/measureables, ends should be tall & angular not just strong with good base. think 6-5 290.

6. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

It sure is refreshing to read Wade's quotes! but, it's better to totally ignore McClain's attempts to paraphrase and bridge the quotes. JM clearly has no grasp on what he's talking about. This is twice I have seen McClain write that the Texans will play a 4-3 defense on passing downs. I guarantee you that belief stems from a misunderstanding on his part. Wade's 3-4 is designed to get pressure on the QB and it's weakness is usually vs. the inside run game. McClain would have you believe that we will play Wade's 3-4 on run downs and then transition to the 4-3 on passing downs? that makes no sense!

Notice that Wade compliments Antonio Smith's motor saying that he plays "tough and hard" while he basically says that Mario is strong and talented but is still raw and an underachiever? Here's that quote:

“Mario’s powerful,” He can be a dominant player. I want him to get up the field. He gets good leverage. He’s strong against the run. It’s a matter of helping him, technique-wise, and putting him in position to take advantage of his talent

Clearly, Wade has watched tape of the Texans!

Also refreshing is that I already know more about Wade's defensive philosophy than I ever knew about Richard Smith's or Frank Bush's... as much as I wanted to believe otherwise and (at time's) assumed surely couldn't be the case for an NFL coach, I think it's because those guys never had a philosophy-at least not one they could effectively communicate.

It's also nice to hear a Texan coach make astute assessments of Texan players. Man, that's refreshing. Instead of building the defense based on assumptions made two years ago, the guy is looking at tape, studying what the player does and doesn't do, and then trying to figure out how to help him be successful and how the player's talent will be best serve the defense. I AM ON BOARD!!

steelbtexan likes this.
  7. aussie_texan

aussie_texan Hall of Fame

this!!!!!!!

8. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

9. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Well...hopefully he's right or they bring that white jacket with all the buckles for him.

10. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Don't take this as I'm trying to stick up for butterball but surely he meant when they go nickel package they'll have a four man front like always.

It'll be nice if Wade can truly use his players as weapons, as he seems to believe he can.

11. Rey

Rey Guest

I disagree...

The nose tackle doesn't take any more pounding than a DT in a regular 4-3...

People just want big nose tackles because you want them to not give up any ground and make it harder on the O-linemen to get push...

But they do not take any more pounding than any other DT in any other system...

12. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Nice to see we got a real DC. Hopefully Free Agency works well for us to build this part of the team.

13. Rey

Rey Guest

Dale I think this is something that fans should keep in mind:

Sure there will be some changes, but I think fans (not you necessarily) need to get the idea of a traditional 3-4 out of their mind.

Wade has said that he wants Mario and Smith to continue to have 1-gap responsibility, and he wants them to play up field and they will be playing wider than traditional 3-4 ends. Also, The Nose tackle in this system will only be responsible for 1-gap...

I think that this bit of information is important to know when discussing personnel and how it fits into Wade's defense.

14. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Yep. The four man rush front from 3-4 teams is pretty normal. Given the nature of football today, there will be games where the 3-4 Texans will spend 55-60 percent of the time in the four man front.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Depends on the gap assignments - think Seth Payne who played a two gap technique in Capers version of the 34. Those guy's take a lot of added wear and tear simply because they are expected to deal with both the center and a guard on every play.

I believe I read that Wade wants to run a 1 gap system with the players we have here. The big question there is do we have the ILB's capable of making it work ? They have to be adept at shedding blocks.

16. GP

GP Go Texans!

I don't know why a defensive player would want to play NT in a 3-4 defense.

Seems like a crappy way to earn a living: Get double-team'd all the time and basically just letting your teammates make the plays.

Agree or disagree?

17. Rey

Rey Guest

Lots of DT's are double teamed on every play...

That's not something exclusive to NT in a 3-4...

DT is a position that you take a pounding by nature of the position...3-4 or 4-3 you are still playing crash dummy on every snap.

Sometimes the play calls for a double team and sometimes a players talent calls for a double team. A lot of NT in the 3-4 are double teamed because they are hard to block with one O-lineman...If Vince Wilfork played in a 4-3 he would still be double teamed a lot because of who he is...Not the front he plays in.

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

But that's exactly what Dallas defense did the first few years with Wade, when they converted Greg Ellis to OLB. Even last year, they ran a 4 man front several times on passing downs.

19. Pollardized

Pollardized Division Champ

If Wade is looking for guys who go either way, vince young may indeed be coming to Houston....

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

When you're playing the 3 tech, you're lined up between a guard and a tackle. That tackle has responsibilities of the DE on your outside shoulder & any LB that might come up as well. The 3 Techs job is to jump inside that 3 gap where he should be one-on-one with the guard as the Tackle has to cover the DE. Unless he is slanting in, across the face of the guard to the 2 gap, he shouldn't be apt to getting double teamed.

Suan Cody or Damien Lewis are the only true options we have on this team to play NT. Maybe Sheppard if he is on the Practice Squad, & I say maybe, because he's got such a huge bottom end.