Marcus McCauley

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by beerlover, Nov 19, 2006.

1. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Marcus might be the one to bolster the weak Texans secondary via the draft. He is 6' 1" 205 big and strong for a cover corner with blazing NFL quality speed (timed earlier in the offseason during a NFL training day @ 4.31). Teams throw away from him (I can buy the same arguement with Landry) so his stats do not refelct his value to the Fresno State Bulldogs.

Their next game is Saturday against Louisiana Tech in Ruston, La. not sure if its televised or if someone who posts here on this board will attend the game. but I sure hope the Texans send a scout his way to evaluate his potential and bring him out to Relient for a personel workout before the draft.

http://gobulldogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mccauley_marcus00.html

2. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

McCauley was rated as the #1 CB by a lot of people in the pre-season but he has been beaten pretty bad this year.

Teams started the year by just staying away from him but now he is just another CB.

Probably not even a 1st round pick anymore unless a team weights his 40-time too heavily.

3. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

He has looked really bad in actual gameplay this year. He is an amazing physical talent, but has not showed that on the field this year at all.

4. bad

bad Veteran

That entire team has looked bad this year. Must be something in the water.

That said, McCauley's upside remains huge - you can't teach 4.31 speed - and his performance this year (along with the rest of the underachieving Bulldogs) should drop him in the draft so he could be a steal.

He's still not the best player coming out for Fresno State; that honor goes to Kyle Young, a monstrous center who plays meaner'n Logan Mankins did. Whoever gets him gets a fixture for 12 years.

Other players from Fresno State who might be worth looking into come the 2007 draft:

Dwayne Wright, RB
    Paul Williams, WR
    Joe Fernandez, WR

...and that's about it. A very disappointing season for Fresno State Bulldogs fans.

5. YoungTexanFan

Yeah, I've had an interest in their Center since last season, and I agree on his talent. I wouldn't mind both of them in the second and third round respectivly.

6. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

I agree with that. may we please have a legit OLT prospect #1 though ?

7. YoungTexanFan

See, I thought about that, but I believe Winston should be our LT and Spence our RG at this point. While I would love Joe Thomas or Gaither, we DESPERATLY need secondary help. I want both things and a top OLB.

8. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

I think Winston is going to stay at RT and do well with Spencer reclaiming his LT spot. We probably need a center and maybe a RG, depending on Weary. That leaves us with needs at FS, CB and OLB. I would love for us to sign either Ken Hamlin or Asante Samuel in FA, then draft to the position we didnt get in FA and a linebacker. Then pick up some depth for the O-line and maybe running back in the later rounds.

9. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

i've watched him 3 times this year. complete disaster each time. terrible hip movement for a corner. move him to safety.

10. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

11. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

12. beerlover

this just posted http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/

"Has everything you look for in a top cornerback from a physical standpoint including ideal size and reported 4.3 speed, McCauley is battling to be the first player chosen at his position and he could wind up being a Top 10 overall pick at the 2007 NFL Draft."

- Scott Wright

13. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

That was posted before the season started I believe.

His physical talent is unquestionable but he just isnt playing well this year.

14. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

it's a preseason analysis, and when he says "he's battling to be a top 10 pick" that means he has to play well and stand out to earn that pick. that clearly isn't the case.

15. canadiantexan

canadiantexan Veteran

I didnt read the prior posts so I apoligize if I'm just rehashing someones idea or repeating there post but I always thought his feet and hips sucked for a corner and they should try him at FS.:twocents:

16. beerlover

gee let me think.............who needs FS help.............just a minute.......I know....I got it :lightbulb: rats I forgot :lightning:

17. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

the bucs, of course.

18. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

19. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

20. beerlover

Anyone who gets ESPN2 can watch the game tonight @ 8:00 pm in LA Tech & make their own scouting report :twocents: