Marcellus Rivers

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by el toro, Mar 20, 2006.

1. el toro

el toro All Pro

What's the latest on him?

2. kcwilson

kcwilson All Pro

He's still not good.

powerfuldragon likes this.
  3. The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides Hall of Fame

:heh:

4. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

The latest is he better hope Joppru steps on the rake and hits himself in the head and is out the whole year because otherwise, he is on the cusp of looking for work.

5. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

cmon give him some respect, hes an alright special teamer:yahoo:

6. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

B.S. and au contraire ...... Rivers is a pretty good pass-catching TE. Where are you getting this "he sucks" business from? Our offensive playcalling was to blame for any offensive player's lack of success last year more than anything else. Hell, pretty much the only clear-cut trash on the entire offensive 11 was V. Riley. A. Johnson had a very unspectacular year last year and I don't see any one throwing a ***** fit about it. Rivers caught pretty much everything that was ever thrown at him, what else do you want him to do?

7. The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides Hall of Fame

From the entire 2005 season. Sure he made a nice catch a time or two, but the man is a horrible blocker. 8.9 yards per game is nothing to scream about either.

8. kcwilson

kcwilson All Pro

Oh yeah, I forgot... he had career highs in catches and yards last year... 24 catches 168 yards...

I will rescind the 'sucks' comment as it realtes to special teams and pro-actively state that it wasn't a judgement of his effort... HOWEVER as a production TE in the NFL... he can't block, he has good hands, but he can't get separation in coverage because he isn't quick enough.

9. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

I would disregard last year since we were in max protection most of the time.

10. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i'm sorry bud but i'm not sure what games you were watching. he had more passes bounce off his helmet than he had receptions last season (24 receptions ... atleast that many in drops, despite catching a couple at the end of the season). the only positive i saw from rivers is that he was involved tackling during kickoffs ... our TE of the future! AJ couldnt even catch the quick out or a 3yd uncovered slant, i've got no problem saying that, but to say that rivers did anything but suck as a TE is out of my realm of reality.

11. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

For the win.

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

JMO but you are half right and some of the responses are half right. Rivers was horrendous at the beginning of last season as a blocker and dropped a bunch of passes as well. As the season went on, he became a much better blocker--not Bruener small LT quality, but decent--plus he slowed down his number of drops. IMO the Texans should keep him to see if he can keep developing. In addition to his excellent special teams play he was one of (can't really think of anyone else) the only players to improve last year.

13. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

He came on strong at the end of the year, but with Putzier and Bennie, he should be 3rd on our depth chart, maybe even 4th.

Imagine that, a depth chart.:yahoo:

14. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Well, he just dropped to 3rd on our TE depth chart behind Putzier and Bruener. Now if Joppru steps up, stays healthy, and becomes a decent tight end, Rivers will be looking for work this season.

15. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

Complain about him if you want too, but he got a chance to play in the last four game of the season and did pretty well in them.

16. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

He might not have been a huge part of the passing game but he did still catch a few passes.

17. Mathis13

Mathis13 Veteran

is bruener gone...? i dont see anybody talking about him. I still thinks bruner's a #2 TE and joppuru #3 until Joppuru can prove he can stay healthy for at least training camp

18. mancunian

mancunian Daleks Rule

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irela
    Bruener and Putzier will share number duties, then we have Joppru and we resigned Murphy. Rivers has a bit of competition for a spot!

19. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Rivers is a free agent and I have not seen where any team has scheduled him for a visit.

20. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I would like to Rivers back next year at the minimum, but do understand that it is not easy to keep 4 TE's on a 53 man roster. We will see how much influence Marciano has with the new staff. In a season that did not have much to offer last year Rivers was fun to watch on covering punt returns.