Manual Wright (supplemental draft)

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by UberDork, May 12, 2005.

1. UberDork

UberDork Veteran

He was the backup to Suan Cody over at USC or something like that...He is 6-6, 290 and would have been a JR I think...not sure on that. I don't know much about him, but at least he is good to speculate about.

I think he couldn't get his grades in order...or something like that.
    Top prospect out of HS, and he is pretty young...

Sounds like a good developemental DE for us maybe.

Link about him

2. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

Since we have an extra 3rd, maybe he'd be worth a shot.

3. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=116&p=2&c=378546

http://usctrojans.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wright_manuel01.html

anyone watch this guy.. where would you project him to get drafted (if any)?

4. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

all i have to say about this guy is he has never started a game in college. I do think that will effect what round teams are willing to give up to get him. I personally wouldnt go higher than a 4th or a 5th. If he went back and dominated for 1 season then maybe a 2nd but i think anything higher than a 4th is too high.

5. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

I don't think anyone will take a high pick on this guy, he has potential, but every player has potential coming into the NFL.

6. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Rob Rang
    Senior Analyst
    NFLDraftScout.com

May 12, 2005 - The USC Trojans knew they were losing their top two interior defensive linemen when Mike Patterson and Shaun Cody were drafted in April.

Now they’ve lost their top choice to replace the duo.

Manuel Wright, the player those close to the program were calling the next great USC defensive lineman, elected to enter the NFL’s Supplemental Draft Wednesday after learning he might be forced to redshirt this season due to low grades.

Wright’s continued academic concerns made the announcement more of a formality than a surprise. Wright previously encountered academic troubles when he signed with USC directly out of high school. He did not qualify academically and instead was forced to enroll at Long Beach City College in 2002. While his grades were steady enough for him to play the past two seasons, Wright’s grades again slipped this spring. He missed this spring’s practices, instead electing to focus on his academics. Wright took his last final Tuesday, but elected to make himself eligible for the Supplemental Draft before learning his results.

The NFL has previously ruled that any supplemental draft would be held no later than seven days before the start of the first NFL training camps. Most training camps begin in mid July. The league notifies each team of any players granted eligibility. Thus far, Wright is the only player to have been granted eligible for the draft. Wright had two more years of eligibility after only playing two seasons at USC (did not play at Long Beach) but Wright is three years removed from high school, the primary NFL requirement for draft eligibility.

Though he only started two games over his collegiate career, Wright appeared in twenty and finished his collegiate career with 31 tackles, including 8 tackles for loss and 3 sacks.

While his numbers are less than impressive, Wright is blessed with a spectacular combination of size (6-6, 290) and athleticism, and routinely provided USC with big play ability off the bench. Listed by NFLDraftScout.com as the top ranked defensive tackle of the 2007 class, he has the size and strength to make an immediate impact as a run defender and shows rare burst for such a big man, as well. Scouts love his upside and feel that he was on the verge of a monster junior campaign.

Wright seems to have picked the perfect year to enter the Supplemental Draft. April’s draft was considered to contain one of the weaker defensive tackle classes in recent memory and with the free agent defensive tackle prospects not exactly inspiring, teams might be more willing to part with a high choice for a player of Wright’s obvious potential.

The last player to be selected in the first round of the Supplemental Draft was Duke quarterback Dave Brown, selected by the New York Giants in 1992. There have been eight Supplemental first round selections. Quarterbacks Dave Wilson, Bernie Kosar, Steve Walsh, Timm Rosenbach, and Brown, running back Bobby Humphrey, wide receiver Rob Moore, and linebacker Brian Bosworth were all selected as first round supplemental selections.

While many teams feel he’ll ultimately land in the second, the combination of Wright’s immense potential and team needs gives him a legitimate shot at the first round.

Unfortunately for fans, there won’t be the fanfare for the Supplemental Draft that there is for the April draft. Supplemental Drafts are conducted by e-mail. The draft order remains the same as the order used for the first round in April. If a team chooses a player, in this case Wright, it gives up its pick in the same round in next April's draft. If a player is not selected in the supplement draft, he becomes a free agent.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/news/i...ll&id=1115944469&archive=&start_from=&ucat=2&

7. UberDork

UberDork Veteran

I think he started 2 games last year. He was only a sophmore last year and two top notch guys were above him. I bet he goes late round 2 early round 3...or rather that is what the winning bid will be...who knows what the pick will end up being.

Link

8. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

If he had stayed and played for a year there he would of been a #2 or a #3. If a teams gives up a #2 or a #3 in this supp draft for him then there are getting ripped off.

9. UberDork

UberDork Veteran

I would definitely agree that Wright would be a pick based on potential, and with that said, I don't see him being a ripoff if he were picked in the late 2nd to early 3rd. I guess we may find out more about his athleticism if he has workouts, but I don't think he can be knocked for not starting many games in his first two years at USC...we all know who was in front of him, and from all accounts he was expected to be a starting DT next year...

Let us see what types of numbers he puts up in workouts. Then we can have a slightly more complete gauge as to where he will go.

10. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

not sure what the Texans will do on this one.. in the 1st 2 years of our existance (with the supplement picks) we'd take a shot on him.

http://usc.scout.com/2/219370.html

11. TexansCanes

TexansCanes All Pro

i think that if he was able to play this year at USC he would have a great year and would have been better than atleast a three and maybe into the late first. he has the size and ability to be a great dt or de in our case. played very well behind patterson and cody, but never got the chance to show his stuff on an every down basis. not that recruiting rankings matter when it comes to entering the nfl but he was one of the highest rated defensive players come out of long beach poly. with that being said i think that he will probably go in the mid 3rd or 4th.

12. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

i would like to have him in but i'd be surprised if casserly spent anything higher than a 4th rounder on him

13. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

honestly.. i wouldnt go higher than a 5th. We are talking VERY raw.. VERY LITTLE experience.

A 5th rounder is a good spot because most 5th rounders are fairly big risks anyway.. but you can still get 4th round playmakers in a good draft (DD).

14. UberDork

UberDork Veteran

I just don't think most 5th rounders have his type of potential. He was good enought to push Sean Cody over to DE so that he could play...he just got hurt.
    I think he is trying to get his grades up, but if he can't do that, I have a feeling someone will spend at least a third on him in the Sup Draft.

15. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

from GBN-

"Supp draft DT books workout... southern California junior DT Manuel Wright, who has entered the NFL's summer supplemental draft, will workout for pro scouts in Los Angeles on July 8th. The 290-pound Wright, who had been expected to help replace Mike Patterson and Shaun Cody in the Trojans' starting lineup this fall, is expected to attract bids for his services ranging from the third to the fifth rounds. The supplemental draft is scheduled for the 14th of July."

personally I'd rather would have liked to draft Anttaj Hawthorne who went in the 6th rd. Also in the 6th rd went massive DT Anthony Bryant, Alabama. If your looking 5th round you could have drafted Ronald Fields 6-2 322 perfect fit for the NT in a 3-4. so i'd rater doubt he goes as high as the 3rd round, possibly the 4th most likely the 5th :)

16. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

His size reminds me of Richard Seymor from the Pats. If he was going to start for USC he has to be pretty good. I kind of hope that we do pick him up.

17. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno....after using our #1 pick this year on a DL (and I do like the TJ pick!) and also factoring in what we paid in FA for R.Smith last year, DLine definitely drops in the priority hierachy below more pressing need areas like
    the OLine and TE.

18. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

If we don't get to carried away on the draft pick and dollars, I would be willing to see what the kid is about and maybe park him on the development squad and then give him a tour of NFLE to see what we might have. Something like a 4 pick or lower and a small bonus with at or near min. salary would work for me. We have two guys on the D-line that are aging and only one replacement prospect in the house, so another is/will be needed within the next 2-3 years (could be sooner with injury). The guy might be what we need, who knows.

19. rittenhouserobz

rittenhouserobz Hall of Fame

What is the development squad? Is it different from the practice squad?
    Anyway, I hope we get the guy. We could use another DE, then all we need for next year is that Ngata guy for NT and we are set for a while at DL. :)

20. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor