Manning had surgery Today

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by srrono, Oct 24, 2011.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Gary said on 610

Manning has surgery, out at least four weeks
    By Nick Scurfield

Posted 11 minutes ago

aaTexans safety Danieal Manning will miss at least four weeks after having surgery on his left leg, Texans coach Gary Kubiak said.
    Texans free safety Danieal Manning will miss at least four weeks after having surgery on his left leg Monday morning.

Coach Gary Kubiak said that Manning’s injury was to his fibula. He was injured on Sunday at Tennessee while making a leaping interception in the second quarter and left LP Field on crutches.

“What’ll take place is we’ll start the rehab process,” Kubiak said. “We think there’s an opportunity for him to come back this year.

“We’re definitely talking about somewhere four weeks and beyond, whatever that’s going to be. We’d love to wait on Danieal. We’d love to get him back before this season’s over.”

Third-year free safety Troy Nolan moves into the starting lineup with Manning out. Kubiak said Nolan played about 30 snaps against the Titans without any mental mistakes.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. Luv_ya_blue

Luv_ya_blue 1%er

He's gonna retire...

3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Daniel Manning, I assume by the thread's location.

4-10 weeks is what I'm hearing.

Speedy recovery D Manning

4. Luv_ya_blue

Luv_ya_blue 1%er

Ahhh...didn't catch that.

5. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Wasn't able to really see much of the game. What happened on the play? I heard he fractured his leg?

I like how the back half of our schedule looks right now. We've got the hardest games out of the way and the remaining all look winnable. There's no "easy" games in the NFL... but I would put us as favorites in each one.

5/9 are at home.
    The 'toughest' ones are at home.
    We have a bye week to rest.

Best wishes to Manning for a speedy recovery. I hope he makes it back to form by the end of the season to help us in the playoffs!!

6. GP

GP Go Texans!

Quin and Nolan (at Safety) I would assume?

I wouldn't mind bringing in a guy like Roy Williams JUST to add as insurance and to use as a mentor to Quin and Nolan. If we make it to playoffs, we need the mentoring for all these weeks leading up to the playoff games.

Safe to say that the additions of Joseph and Manning, along with Wade Phillips at d-coord, has made a world of difference. I was watching the Titans sideline Sunday...saw Frank Bush yelling out instructions to the Titans defenders on the field, and I shuddered a little bit. Yikes. We're improved on many levels.

7. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

Hopefully we won't need him or AJ for the next 5 weeks or so and can give them both extra rest. No reason to trot Manning out there early when the Titans fall apart and the Texans can win the division with a 9-7 record.

8. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Awful. He's been awesome and a big reason why this defense is turning around. Hopefully they can take another big hit in stride and keep up the pace. Let him get the time to get healthy, he'll be back for a push at the end and into the playoffs. Playoffs?

I can dream.

9. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Ha!! I thought you were just being snarky! LOL!

10. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Gary also said they want to look at Brandon Harris to play some safety. Also, (obviously) Nolan's the starter.

11. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I like the foreshadowing in bold. And I hate to get ahead of myself here.......talking about playoffs this early. But if we do make the playoffs, I want the Texans to do all they can for the highest seed so we can have a home game.

However I agree about not bringing them back until they are fully healthy.

12. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Manning has surgery, out at least four weeks
    By Nick Scurfield

Posted 11 minutes ago

aaTexans safety Danieal Manning will miss at least four weeks after having surgery on his left leg, Texans coach Gary Kubiak said.
    Texans free safety Danieal Manning will miss at least four weeks after having surgery on his left leg Monday morning.

Coach Gary Kubiak said that Manning’s injury was to his fibula. He was injured on Sunday at Tennessee while making a leaping interception in the second quarter and left LP Field on crutches.

“What’ll take place is we’ll start the rehab process,” Kubiak said. “We think there’s an opportunity for him to come back this year.

“We’re definitely talking about somewhere four weeks and beyond, whatever that’s going to be. We’d love to wait on Danieal. We’d love to get him back before this season’s over.”

Third-year free safety Troy Nolan moves into the starting lineup with Manning out. Kubiak said Nolan played about 30 snaps against the Titans without any mental mistakes.

13. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

As already mentioned the schedule looks pretty nice from here on out.

Let's hope Quin can step up and wasn't needing too much on-the-field mentoring from Manning, time to see what he's made of.

It's also Nolan's chance to sink or swim, he's been hit and miss in his opportunities throughout his career, with highlight reel plays offset by some really poor coverage at times, lets see what he's got.

I'm a little worried about Keo needing to play rotational snaps now and am concerned about his readyness to play that much.

I'm wondering if this is Kareem Jackson's time to move to safety, he hasn't impressed this season, and got benched in the last game. Jason Allen has shown himself to be our second best safety while McCain is doing the job in the slot. With Harris and Charmichael yet to see the field in a significant manner its hard to see how Jackson can hold down a spot at corner and maybe a move is his last hope.

14. GP

GP Go Texans!

Only long-time posters on here would know how to read that last bit there.

It's like hearing your wife say to you "No, your breath doesn't smell bad. I mean, it smells a little...but it's not bad." You still don't know if you're good to go, or what, and you sort of talk to people from a distance juuuuust in case.

Wade Phillips is that little last piece of minty gum that you chew, because you had to split it with your wife and kids since it was the last piece in the car. But you think "Geez, I think my breath stills smells. I hope that 1/4th piece of gum masks it enough. And what if I popped into my mouth too early?"

What will our breath smell like at the end of the season? Fresh and minty, or a bit smelly, or severe halitosis? That's the big question. LOL.

15. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

16. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

This was a response that I made in an old thread when the question came up after "fibula" was named in the Texans injury report.

Obviously, my concern was one of Manning having a stress fracture at the time.

It seems that, either the diagnosis of stress fracture wasn't made or wasn't given enough time to be made or they let him try to play and hoped that he would hold up without the fracture extending. Either way, things didn't work out very well and he has had surgery.

For elite athletes, metal hardware support of the fracture site is sometimes entertained prophylactically, especially if the cortical (outer surface layer) bone disruption is significant and there is fear of subsequent bone segment displacement. Hardware and electro-growth stimulation of the bone and injection of growth factors into the fracture site will be probably be used together to bring about more predictable and faster healing. You do worry about the increased risks of infection and other problems associated with the placement of metal hardware. The serial MRIs will tell the story of how the fracture is healing and if Manning will even be given the opportunity to return to play at the very tail end of the season.

Here is a (bloodless) video of a surgery somewhat similar to what Manning probably underwent. VIDEO

17. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

I was wondering how he broke a bone simply by going up to catch a football. Thanks...

18. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

19. speedfreek

speedfreek Hall of Fame

we cant catch a break on the injury bug.

need to bring someone else in

TJ

20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

If Gary had not let Manning play as C-N-D suggested and had another MRI done, Manning would probably be be healthy and playing after the Jags game. So it's not all luck.

But no, Gary had to rush Manning out there. God I hope Gary learned his lesson and doesn't rush AJ back.

Thanks for the video C-N-D. It made my shin/ankle twitch. LOL

Looks painful