Mangold

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by beerlover, Mar 8, 2006.

1. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

would anybody else like to see the Texans draft Nick Mangold if he is still available when Houston makes the 33rd overall selection? LT Pitts, LG McKinney, C Mangold, RG Weigert & RT Wade. looks good in Red [​IMG]

2. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

Thats who I want at 33, unless something too good to be true falls out of round 1... But I think he is a necessity

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Good to see others aboard. I have been in, since I saw him at the Senior Bowl.

4. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

He might be whats too good to pass on.

5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

The Scouts Notebook recent Mock draft has Mangold going to arch rival Jacksonville @ #28. To borrow from Matt_Alkire a scout and board contributer here had this to say about Nick Mangold-

"Listed at 6'4" 290lbs. Three year starter for the Buckeyes who makes all the calls and adjustments up front. Good hand placement inside the numbers. Uses hands well. Gets good arm extension to keep defenders off his body. When Nick is beaten he recovers and adjusts well. Has a quick setup off the snap. Displays good footwork. Scrappy guy who plays to the whistle and sometimes past it. Nasty streak."

maybe if we are lucky he may personally add some more information, but from what I watched during Ohio State games he displays great leadership, excellent mobility, ideal size for the position and yes a nasty streak that never quites on a play. I feel he would be an excellent fit here and along with Sherman would give Carr the boost he needs to reach his potential.

6. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

If we draft Reggie, its almost certain we use our second round pick on a
    OT assuming we don't get one in FA. Mangold is very good, but he's a guard/center, not a tackle.
    Now if we'd draft Ferguson, or another OT in the first round, maybe they'd
    consider him with the #2. But you can on a regular basis NFL starting guards and centers on the second day, though maybe they aren't elite players like Mangold.

7. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

IMO we would get better value if we went Mangold in the second round and a Tackle in the third round. Unless somebody like J Scott falls to the second round.

8. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

That is a formula for building mediocrity--passing on an elite player to force a need, especially a need which is arguably no greater than the elite player's position. The new staff has already indicated to McKinney that he will be playing guard remember?

9. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

Has there ever been a center taken in the first? I kind of think he's getting overhyped into the first, am I the only one who thinks he might fall further than us in the second.

10. travfrancis

travfrancis Veteran

"That is a formula for building mediocrity--passing on an elite player to force a need, especially a need which is arguably no greater than the elite player's position."

very true in general

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

2005 Chris Spencer at #26 and David Baas at #33 (1 spot out of the 1st round--right where we are this year)
    2003 Jeff Faine at #21

Lot's of centers taken in the top half of the 2nd round.

12. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

I'll have to disagree with that....Mediocrity would be welcome after the formula gave us our 2-14 implosion.

Texans fan: "You mean we can be mediocre if we do this??? Draft for need, I'm begging you!!":crying:

Quit getting our hopes up.

13. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

if we get d'brick in the 1st, with the 2nd we should go for these players in this order- kiwi/hali, mangold, ko simpson, d'quell jackson, pope, any of the good cbs, sims etc,sinorice

remember eslinger in the 3rd wouldn't be much of a fall off in quality imo

14. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I did see all of that, but what what I really liked was something we always looked for in our defensive players in basketball was the head on the swivel. Mangold's head is extremely active on that swivel surveying where the help is needed. He is active from head to foot and can process the info quickly to react with quickness and power.

15. travfrancis

travfrancis Veteran

do you have no long term vision? would you really choose to be mediocre instead of taking a shot at going for a super bowl?

you build to be great for the future, not to be decent next year

16. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

I like Nick Mangold...I saw some film of him...and that guy has a real mean streak. Having him at the core of the line could benefit the Texans in the long run. Anybody is better than McKinney, and we would know that Hodgdon could be servicable as a back-up. My little dream is still D'Brick.

17. The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides Hall of Fame

The head that Is Mel Kiper thinks he'll fall to the 2nd and be selected between 33-40. Said that during his chat today. He also had Ko Simpson falling to the 2nd. Those would be some good possibilities at 33.
    It is Mel Kiper though.

18. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

I only take Mangold if Ko Simpson is not there.

19. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

My opinion from another post.

20. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I would be happy with Simpson, I just prefer Mangold.