Malcolm Jenkins

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by was385, Feb 27, 2009.

1. was385

was385 Rookie

I was wondering what some of your opinions were on Jenkins from Ohio State. He was essentially guaranteed to go before 15 until his less than stellar 40-time at the combine. While he's still likely to go before us, it looks like there is at least a chance he falls. My question is would you be opposed or in favor of taking him as a safety if he's there at 15 (however small a chance that is)?

2. Blake

Blake MMQB

I would take him @ 15 as long as he is roughly the highest player available on my board.

3. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I don't think he'll fall out of the top 10. Once he has his pro day on the track at Ohio St. he'll erase that slow time and post a good one and once he does he'll go right back up those draft charts. If he were to fall to us, I'd pick him and then go buy a lottery ticket the same day cause luck was on our side.

4. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

He won't be there. The surface at the new stadium in Indy is roughly .06 slower than the old dome surface. His 4.53 would have been a 4.47 last year, and nobody would have knocked him for that. In an interview he said he was running 4.44 in training, and if he get's close to that at his pro day, then he'll be back in the top 5 conversation.

I don't like the idea of moving him to safety either. The guy is a corner, and has a corner's mentality about football. Drafting a guy high in the first, and then trying to make him something he isn't is doomed to failure. If drafted as a corner, he just doesn't fit the Texans system, and would end up falling short of his potential.

bah007 likes this.
  5. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I don't think he tackles well enough to be our last line of defense. I'd love him as a CB though.

6. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

This

7. was385

was385 Rookie

All these responses are pretty much why I said IF he's there. I know the chances are he won't be (I went over that in the original post), but my question is IF he's there, would you take him

8. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I would.

Top CB in the draft.

9. Polo

Polo Guest

I'd take him unless someone offered me something juicy in a trade up.

10. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

In a heart beat. Be it Free Safty or Corner. Play maker.

11. rarazz00

rarazz00 VOLUME 10

If Smith and "Kub's" pull the trigger..I'm all for it...they might not have a next year w/ the Texans, so they'll know IF they pick him where he'll START(CB/S):tiphat:...

12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Guy is considered best CB available prior to combine based on his college performance. He runs a slow 40 and drops, uh something wrong here. I agree with others that he will run faster but he did good in college if the "slow" 40 turns out correct. Unless Raji or Orakpo there at #15, Jenkins is my guy to answer your question but only as a corner.

1. CB Jenkins 2. DE Robert Ayers 3. FS Rashad Johnson

13. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I'd be really happy if the 1st three rounds turned out that way!

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

To be sure and we still have 2 4ths and a 5th!
    Everyone I have a great weekend. Outta here! Steve

15. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

So you guys are posting you're going to load up the back four with all stars and out cover Manning ? Good Luck with that one.

16. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I'm starting to lean towards the draft for the lines in the first round argument.

I think there is no such thing as a great QB, just look at DeAngelo Hall, great CB, gets cut CB, get huge contract CB.... still the same guy. (Except far richer)

There is just too much influence from how they fit in the system and who they are playing with.

17. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I have real questions now if the bridges have been burned with Dunta? if this is the case the Texans almost have to address CB early. problem is, its a weak class, there are no Leodis McKelvin or Dominique Rodgers Cromartie. much better value later in 2nd/3rd like Darius Butler, Connecticut 5-10 183 ran 4.4 with 43" vertical. a pure cover corner similar to Dunta Robinson.

18. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I like Butler as well.

What would suggest Dunta is a pure cover corner? Or better yet, please provide your definition of a pure cover corner and cite some examples.

19. rickyb

rickyb Scarlet is hot.

That would be awesome. Assuming Jenkins is gone, should we reach for someone like CB Alphonso?

20. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

think you might have hit on something like a combination of first trading down from #15 (taking Alphonso) then using the added package to move back up earlier to select Ayers. :specnatz: