Making the Leap, No. 25: Texans OLB Whitney Mercilus

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by RipTraxx, Jul 10, 2013.

1. RipTraxx

RipTraxx Free Agent

2. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

I agree that Merci will have a break out season and stated my expectations last week in a post. Maybe I'm sipping the cool-aid; but just a small sip. Double digit sacks is only four more than he got last year in a very limited role. And he should get off to a fast start, with teams concentrating on JJ. To repeat, I don't think a 15 sack season is beyond belief.

3. Rey

Rey Guest

Not having seen merciless yet since last season, based on what I've seen up until now, I'd guess that merciless will start losing snaps to the young rookie olb's by week 3.

I didn't see what the hype was in college and seeing him in the nfl he looked about the same.

Now, I would never rule out a player improving. He could very well have made exponential improvement this off season. That's what it'll take IMO...exponential growth for him to be the pass rushing olb we need.

4. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

If Mercilus can step up and have a breakout season it would go a long ways for this defense which imo has major holes especially the LB corp.

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I agree. I don't think he's headed for a breakout season. For him to get into double digits he'd have to had major improvements in his game.

He's not "fast" He's not going to beat anyone around the corner. He's not "strong" he's not going to bull-rush an offensive tackle into the QB.

What he's got is good instincts, a nose for the ball, & appears to have somewhat of an ability to stay clean amidst traffic (like on that last video). Those would be great traits if he were an ILB (but right now he's too small for that in a 3-4) or if we've got excellent coverage on the back end.

At least Connor was able to get around the end forcing the QB to step up. I'm not seeing that with Mercilus & that might affect Smith & Watt.

I'm hearing great things about Travardo's speed. I'm hearing great things about Montgomery's explosiveness. Really haven't heard much about Whitney (other than we expect big things from him).

6. False Start

False Start On # 69

Good take. Hopefully, I'm wrong, but I see him as the next Travis Johnson type. He was taken in the 1st round but wont live up to expectations. :wadepalm:

I could be wrong though, he might just need the time to get some significant playing time.

I have a good feeling about Travardo and Sonic too, I get a feeling they might be the next Demeco type for this team.

thunderkyss likes this.
  7. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I'm looking forward to improved production from our front seven overall. I'm not gonna be happy if its the J.J. & Ninja show again this year.

TejasTom likes this.
  8. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The coaches do not seem to share your opinion on the proper size for a 3-4 ILB.

Mercilus 257 lbs

Cushing 255 lbs - not drafted for ILB
    Sharpton 234 lbs
    Dobbins 236 lbs
    Davis 238 lbs

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Maybe it's the pads he wears..... or he's taller & doesn't carry it the same way. The other guys look stouter.

10. Rey

Rey Guest

Besides Cushing I think he's like 3 or 4 inches taller than those other guys. Not sure what that means...just throwing it out there...

11. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Texans' Mercilus transitions to full-time role

12. htownfan32

htownfan32 Hall of Fame

He was a DE, so I guess he has a lankier build?

13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Hey Merci it is time to rise and shine.

14. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Jefferon, Cushing, Reed, Mercilus would make a helluva starting LB corps if Jefferson and Mercilus were to improve on stopping the run and setting the edge. It would certainly be hell on wheels in passing situations.

15. Rey

Rey Guest

Yep....lets go!

16. 2slik4u

2slik4u Hall of Fame

He had 16 sacks and 9 forced fumbles in one season. That's a pretty big deal.

17. Rey

Rey Guest

I'm talking about how he looked on film. Lots of guys put up stats in the NCAA.

Merciless looked good last night thought. It didn't show up in the sacks department, but I think he's going to have a good year.

18. 2slik4u

2slik4u Hall of Fame

Last night the defense looked ridiculous in the second half. Only problem was we could never finish the sack. It seemed like every other play we were sending loads of guys after rivers and we would penetrate the pocket with ease but he always got rid of the ball. Pretty frustrating to see us never get the sack but the disruption was certainly good to see.

I can only hope those sacks will start falling into place.

19. msbbc833

msbbc833 Veteran

Yeah he was sending the ball outta there real quick, resulting in lots of incomplete passes. I don't even remember them converting a 3rd down in the 2nd half after our D stepped up

20. 2012Champs

2012Champs Hall of Fame

Mercilus recorded a sack as did Manning. There could have been more but we werent blanked