Madden to Retire?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by LonerATO, Jan 3, 2009.

1. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

Great write up about Madden and I hope Collinsworth replaces him

MILLEN’S PRESENCE WILL FUEL MADDEN RUMORS
    Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2009, 4:45 p.m. EST

We continue to be intrigued by the sudden appearance, after more than four months of exile, of former Lions CEO Matt Millen on NBC’s playoff edition of Football Night In America.

After watching his interview with Dan Patrick and then seeing him sitting at the grown-ups’ table with Bob Costas and the rest of the gang, here’s our working theory.

In our estimation, John Madden will retire from broadcasting after the season, Cris Collinsworth will take Madden’s place on NBC’s Sunday Night Football, and Millen will replace Collinsworth on FNIA.

We’ve already been hearing rumors from media sources in the Bay Area of a Madden retirement from television, followed by possible return to the Raiders in a front-office role.

We recently investigated those rumors, but couldn’t make the onion bloom.

What we did learn, however, is that Madden and NBC Sports guru Dick Ebersol agreed upon the execution of Madden’s six-year contract with the network that both sides would assess the situation after three years.

Upon completion of NBC’s coverage of Super Bowl XLIII, Madden will conclude his third year with the network.

Millen’s presence seemed too abrupt and nonchalant to have no deeper meaning. So, yeah, we’re convinced that something’s going on. And it very well could be that, in four weeks, we’ll be seeing the last of John Madden on network television.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/03/millens-presence-will-fuel-madden-rumors/

2. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

time for the unoriginal Favre jokes to commence

3. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

Millen was pretty good when he was on Fox. I guess he couldnt possibly be worse as a color guy than he was as a gm.

4. dickieb

dickieb Veteran

I hope this is true - I can't stand John Madden! Sometimes I watch the game on mute so I don't have to listen to him. He's not a bad guy - I just can't stand to listen to him. Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way?

5. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I love Madden. He is my favorite football commentator.

6. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

I think it is just you.

I'll miss Madden if true. Love his commentary. Boom!

7. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

I feel that same way about Kornheiser

8. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

I've always liked Madden. If he retires from the booth, it would be great to see him do something with the Raiders. Anything to get Al Davis out of there.

I'm not sure I can stand to listen to Millen give commentary. How can you take the guy seriously after he failed so miserably as a NFL GM.

9. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

I can't stand Collingsworth!! This will be a huge downgrade in the booth IMO.

Good thing I'm half asleep for half the Sunday night games from being at Reliant all day.

10. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

No, it's not just you. I've been sick of Mr. Maddenobvious for a very long time.

He's so overrated. I do not understand why people think he's a good color commentator.

11. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

Madden was great when he was with Pat Summerall, but has appeared to be mailing it in his entire time with Michael's. He was at one time the best since Cossell but that time past a long time ago.

Keep Al Michael s and add someone that will compliment the game on the field, that is the entertainment, not the guy in the box.

Hervoyel likes this.
  12. JayCee

JayCee Veteran

i love Madden and Michaels - i think they're great, especially when you compare them to the MNF commentary team.

13. mancunian

mancunian Daleks Rule

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irela
    Nope, I dont "hate" Madden I've just gone off his commentary recently.

14. sixfour

sixfour Site Contributor

I too am glad this buffoon is gone. Man he made games hard to listen to.

15. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

oh god yes.
    Tony ("those red Texans unis look stupid, they look like ketchup bottles") Kornheiser is worse than Dennis Miller was. All he does is ask idiotic Jerry Springer-type questions to stir the pot. Tirico can't hold a candle to Michaels as far as being a play-by-play guy goes. The only person that's proficient on MNF is Jaws.

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

There's nothing wrong with pointing out that Madden "was" great and that now he seems a bit lost at times and can be hard to listen to. It happens to all of them eventually. I won't miss the John Madden we have today. I'll continue to miss the one from 10-12 years ago who was outstanding at what he did.

17. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno, but I would hardly say riding around the county in a private, personally-customized bus and then calling NFL gamess every week as "work". But Madden is probably stinkin rich by now, so he can "hang-it up" if he chooses.
    I caught Millen with Costas and he was impressive IMO.
    BTW, anybody else catch former Madden sidekick Summerall calling the Cotton Bowl game ?

18. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I like Madden. I like Collinsworth, although a bit goofy at times. The rest of the crew on FNIA are pathetic. They think they're being funny when they're actually being stupid. I'd lump them in with the Tony Kornflakes of the bidness.

Bob Costas, Keith Olberman, Dan Patrick and Tony Kornhole = Pathetic!

19. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I still like Madden, but he does seem lost at times. In fact, I think Frank Caliendo is more in tune with the old Madden than Madden himself is at times.

His books were good too.

20. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I read somewhere where John said it was getting too hard to travel (even though he has a palace on wheels) and it wasn't fun anymore.

I would think whatever type of contract he has he would run that out and be done with the whole thing.