Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Madden to NBC!

NFL | Madden to Leave ABC Head to NBC - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 06:57:30 -0700

Steve Zipay, of Newsday, reports broadcaster John Madden has been hired by NBC for its Sunday Night Football coverage beginning in 2006. Madden will leave ABC's Monday Night Football after this season. The network will announce the long-term agreement at noon today, June 15.

----

I thought he'd go to ESPN for Monday Nights...now to get the NBA back to NBC....

O score! I love Madden I just hope they take John Micheals too. But wait? Does this mean there won't be a Madden 2007?

You mean Al Michaels. But you're right, I sort of like this duo. Madden is getting old though and sometimes I don't understand what he's saying...

It will be interesting to see how ESPN treats MNF. ABC tried too hard to tie it into it's entertainment demographic, and it was getting pretty silly the past few years. I would cringe at those stupid pre-game skits every time they aired. They just had absolutely no appeal to this football fan.

Hopefully ESPN will cater to sports fans, which is what they are all about (well...except for that whole poker obsession they have...c'mon, playing cards is not a sport!)

But Madden at NBC...hmmmm...it might actually work. NBC always had a pretty lame NFL presentation back in the day (CBS picked up where they left off with the "stiff white guy" routine). Ol' John could give them a much needed kick in the nads....maybe.

Al Michaels, though, his voice is MNF. ESPN would be wise to pay him whatever he needs to stay in the booth. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a Michaels & Chris Berman team, and even add a third guy for color. As strange as it might sound, and as much as I used to really dislike the guy (I like him now), I think Michael Irvin would be a good color guy. Talk about three dudes that know football!

I've read that EA is planning on taking Madden's name off of their football product next year anyway, as they purchased the rights to ESPN. It would be too much of a title for an "ESPN Madden NFL Football 2007". (His comments in the video game are the epitome of lame).

For more on Al Michaels from KFFL.com...

NFL | NBC and ESPN Pursuing Michaels
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:27:02 -0700

Larry Stewart, of the Los Angeles Times, reports NBC is reportedly interested in pursuing broadcaster Al Michaels, currently of ABC's Monday Night Football, to be the play-by-play man for their broadcast of Sunday Night Football that starts in 2006. Monday Night Football moves to ESPN in 2006. ESPN, according to sources, is also seeking Michaels' services.

I never really understood the attraction for Madden - I mean he's OK.
No matter though, he's huge to the viewing market and this may finally give
Sunday night NFL games parity (or maybe more), with Monday night NFL.

Double Barrel said:
It will be interesting to see how ESPN treats MNF. ABC tried too hard to tie it into it's entertainment demographic, and it was getting pretty silly the past few years. I would cringe at those stupid pre-game skits every time they aired. They just had absolutely no appeal to this football fan.

Hopefully ESPN will cater to sports fans, which is what they are all about (well...except for that whole poker obsession they have...c'mon, playing cards is not a sport!)

But Madden at NBC...hmmmm...it might actually work. NBC always had a pretty lame NFL presentation back in the day (CBS picked up where they left off with the "stiff white guy" routine). Ol' John could give them a much needed kick in the nads....maybe.

Al Michaels, though, his voice is MNF. ESPN would be wise to pay him whatever he needs to stay in the booth. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a Michaels & Chris Berman team, and even add a third guy for color. As strange as it might sound, and as much as I used to really dislike the guy (I like him now), I think Michael Irvin would be a good color guy. Talk about three dudes that know football!

I've read that EA is planning on taking Madden's name off of their football product next year anyway, as they purchased the rights to ESPN. It would be too much of a title for an "ESPN Madden NFL Football 2007". (His comments in the video game are the epitome of lame).

AWwwww man..... we bout to argue this......poker is too a sport. Its just as much a sport as golf. Its physically demanding, mentally draining, and has a world series.

I'll give him knowing loads and loads about football and players...yep he does.

To me though he stumbles and bumbles way too much. I know it's him and it works for him but to me I can't listen to that.

On the flip side Frank Caliendo does a great Madden....

swtbound07 said:
AWwwww man..... we bout to argue this......poker is too a sport. Its just as much a sport as golf. Its physically demanding, mentally draining, and has a world series.

heh-heh-heh, poker is a game, not a sport (defined as "An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively").

How much physical exertion is required to sit down and hold cards? :hmmm:

Heck, spelling bees have a world series, too, and I've seen those on EPSN2. Guess that's a "sport", too? :um: (just messin' with ya')

Back on topic, I've always liked Madden, even when he says the obvious. It's part of his 'charm'. But his understanding of football, his history with football, and the depth of his knowledge is absolutely awe-inspiring. You've got to give the man props for at least the respect and appreciation for the game we all love. :thumbup

poker is physical exertion......you get exhausted sitting their and holding cards for the better part of 12 hours a day.....just as much physical exertion as swinging a club or a putter 72 times and riding in a little cart to the next hole......play in a real poker tournament and see if you are physically strong enough to "hold cards" all day like the pro's do..i tell you man, its a skill game, its a mental game, and its a physical game.....poker is a sport, therefore they show it on channels like fox sports southwest, and espn, the entertainment and sports programming network

spelling bees are physical exertion......you get exhausted sitting their and spelling words for the better part of 12 hours a day.....just as much physical exertion as swinging a club or a putter 72 times and riding in a little cart to the next hole......play in a real spelling bee and see if you are physically strong enough to "spell words" all day like the pro's do..i tell you man, its a skill game, its a mental game, and its a physical game.....spelling bees is a sport, therefore they show it on channels like fox sports southwest, and espn, the entertainment and sports programming network

:neener: I'm just yankin' your chain, man. If you choose to perceive poker as a sport, be my guest. (I think the main reason why championship poker is shown on all those channels has more to do with ratings that if it qualifies as a sport)

Championship chess should be considered a sport, though...right? (same qualifications you listed for poker...maybe marathon Monopoly, too!) :thumbup

im actually one of the small minority who think some of the more difficult mental games (chess, scrabble, etc.) are actually sports.....and dont talk to me man...i did the galveston county spelling bee...i went to state, i know the pressure! i will agree that poker is mainly on these channels for ratings, but as somebody who plays poker 5-6 days a week, its very hard for me to hear it called a "game"

If you look at the defination of game, it's a fine line:

Game:
1)An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime: party games; word games.
2) A competitive activity or sport in which players contend with each other according to a set of rules: the game of basketball; the game of gin rummy.

Sport:
1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

Technically, poker fits defination 2. It is a competitive activity, players do contend with each other, and there is a set of rules. But, that makes it fit the defination of game, even though sport is used in the defination. In other words, a sport can be a game, but a game cannot be a sport.

That should clear that up. :highfive:

To bring this back to Madden, I am also a fan. Some will like him and some won't. I could name any announcer and get the same type of comments. Name any commentator, play-by-play man, etc. If I said Joe Buck, or Thiesman, or whomever, we would see posts saying they love him, and some saying they hate him. That's the nature of the beast. I think for the casual fan, he is great. He can distill a complicated play, formation, etc., into something that someone like my Wife can understand.

Porky said:
Sport:
1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

Technically, poker fits defination 2.

heh-heh-heh :thumbup

I suppose we are really debating the definition of "physical activity" and "physical exertion" here, more than anything. Because that's the one factor that probably separates the games from the sports. Sitting on the arse and holding cards is usually not associated with "physical exertion". :D

swtbound07, you know I'm just having fun, right? I'd assume that you're taking it that way, but I just want to make sure that you know it's nothing personal.

I have no problem agreeing to disagree (just ask Porky!), and it doesn't matter to me if folks wish to classify a card game as a sport. :)

However, that being said, if cards are sports, then so are video games!!! :thumbup

Just to clarify, I meant it fits defination 2 of game, not sport.

In any case, the only card game I know that qualifies as a sport is 52 pickup. :pepper:

I wish they would get someone new into the broadcast booth!

Double Barrel said:
heh-heh-heh :thumbup

I suppose we are really debating the definition of "physical activity" and "physical exertion" here, more than anything. Because that's the one factor that probably separates the games from the sports. Sitting on the arse and holding cards is usually not associated with "physical exertion". :D

swtbound07, you know I'm just having fun, right? I'd assume that you're taking it that way, but I just want to make sure that you know it's nothing personal.

I have no problem agreeing to disagree (just ask Porky!), and it doesn't matter to me if folks wish to classify a card game as a sport. :)

However, that being said, if cards are sports, then so are video games!!! :thumbup

its all in fun my friend.....just two people having a friendly discussion over something completely unrelated to the thread at hand :

Another Madden fan. I think he is funny! ..who cares what he sez ...
About the move to Sunday .. Sunday nights will have a bigger audience. NBC vs ESPN
Will Sunday night become the prime time game of the week in the future?

swtbound07 said:
its all in fun my friend.....just two people having a friendly discussion over something completely unrelated to the thread at hand :

cool :thumbup threadjackers unite! :highfive:

on topic, it will be interesting to see how the ratings compare between SNF and MNF, especially considering the latter will now be a cable only presentation. Of course, Sunday night is going up against Desperate Housewives, so who knows how it will turn out.

I'm curious what broadcast team ESPN puts together for MNF, though. Honestly, not that I dislike their Sunday night team, but I really hope the new MNF team has a little more...I don't know...pizzaz? Less bickering about non-related issues? Less of the Worlds.Greatest.Quarterback (according to himself)?

Back