Mack Brown: If Bush loses Heisman, give it to Young

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by MojoMan, Aug 31, 2010.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

There has been some talk lately of Reggie Bush being stripped of his 2005 Heisman trophy as a result of being declared ineligible during the 2005 season. If Bush is declared ineligible, then how could he possibly be eligible for any awards for his play that season? It is a good question that will be resolved by the Heisman Trust Committee that awarded Bush the Heisman trophy to begin with.

If Bush is stripped of the award, then Vince Young is the obvious recipient of the award. He was second in the Heisman voting that year. And he was without question one of the most amazing college players in NCAA football history. If Bush is stripped of the award, Mack Brown is right. Vince Young should be awarded the Heisman trophy.

2. Blake

Blake MMQB

I hear Young doesnt want it. I think its more important to the school than Young at this point.

But even if Bush was getting money on the side, he still had a hell of a year on the field.

3. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Give it to Vince...

After they investigate him like Reggie

I wonder how much booster money he was getting every day that last year at Texas?

Who was in third place that year?

4. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Bush was first
    Young was Second
    Matt Leinart was third
    Brady Quinn was fourth
    Deangelo Williams was fifth

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2005/heisman/index.htm

5. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

I did then and and still think it should be awarded to Vince Young. If he doesn't want it, then I'll take it, but he is still the one who earned it IMO.

6. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

If the Heisman voting ended after the bowl games like it should.... then VY would have won it in the first place.

7. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

Vince never did anything illegal. Take your Haterade elsewhere.

Longhorns won the National Championship. No amount of hate can change that. Vince was awesome at Texas. The Longhorns have the best athletic program in the nation and are an undisputed football power.

Deal with it and take your Haterade elsewhere. Let me guess? Cougar High fan?

8. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

I agree Vince Young and UT deserve the award, provided the Heisman Committee has let the investigation of USC/Bush conclude. The biggest issue I had with the Cushing ordeal was the knee-jerk reaction to the news without getting all the facts. I hope they have the patience to wait until they hear the whole story, but it does seem like this is an open and shut case regarding Reggie Bush.

At the time, I was hoping Vince would win the Heisman. I saw him play at Kyle Field a few weeks before the winner was announced, and he was awesome despite having a 'down' game. His performances all year were incredible for a QB, and he really brought his A game every week that year. He went out to the Rose Bowl and proved that he was the truly the best player that year beating out both of the Heisman winners of USC.

IMO Bush was gifted the trophy by the media due to hype around him. I remember the 500 all-purpose yards against Fresno State and "The Bush Push" getting a lot of ESPN time towards the end of the season, because they just loved this guy. The 'Bush Push' coverage was just crazy though. The day of that game the highlights accredited Leinart punching it through on the goalline, but the next day someone coined the term 'Bush Push' and the media just ran with it giving all the attention to Reggie. It was just stupid.

9. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I believed Vince should get it then and now. I hear he doesn't want it though. If he doesn't accept it, I will then really dislike him more than I do now because to me he could really do even more for the school. A) He would show what kind of class players come from that school. B) He would help put the school back in the media which will help the school in the long run in terms of recruiting. C) Even if he doesn't want the award and accepts it, he will be honoring the school that recruited him and the fans that supported him. And that's coming from a Texan fan that walked away from him at Texas Land and Cattle Co. so that I could get Kasey Studdard's autograph.

If Vince were to accept the award, I would hope that he would have class even in is disapproval of receiving the award. I hope he doesn't say something to the affect of ' it belongs with me anyway' and be arrogant about it. I wouldn't even mind him voicing his displeasure if he could do it with class and say something to the affect of 'Even though I'm accepting an award that may have a proverbial asterisk mark, my play on the field while attending the University of Texas should and will justify my receiving this award. However, I don't receive this for me personally but I receive it to honor The University of Texas where we work to prove that integrity always wins in the end."

If he can do those two things. I think Vince's legendary status will remain.

10. The1ApplePie

Sure he didn't

Maybe we should just disqualify every college player that takes booster money

11. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I think Bush should be stripped of the award, and then the Heisman award for 2005 should be vacated. And that's the reason I don't think the Heisman committee will take any action at all, because if they took my suggestion that might cause a bigger controversy by NOT awarding it to VY.

12. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

But I do like your idea. That would send a big message to everyone. EVERYONE. If we find out you cheated, you will suffer the consequences.

13. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

I have no problem with that at all, but it would make the VY jock sniffers even worse to deal with.

14. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Dude, just put a sock in it. You don't have jack to back up claims like this, and you're using an unsubstantiated theory out of thin air to try and villify VY of the same thing without anything to back it up with. This is just weak.

15. The1ApplePie

I'll bank on the elite college athlete getting paid under the table by boosters every time.

Especially at UT

16. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Fixed that for you.

USC cheated and it's been proven. So Texas is guilty until proven innocent? I don't think so.

17. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

i think it's silly that personal awards can be taken away like this. i don't care if Bush was paid or not, fact is that he won the Heisman in a landslide, let him keep it

SheTexan likes this.
  18. Blake

Blake MMQB

It hasnt been taken away. And personally I dont think it will. If Reggie wants to give it up thats one thing, but the Heisman committee probably doesnt want to deal with a re-vote.

19. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Got anything to substantiate that with? Something that may suggest this to be true? An investigation? A smoking gun anywhere? Anything?

If not, then this seems like trolling a thread to take shots at UT.

20. The1ApplePie

Proof: Its a big time college program (Bama, UT, USC, etc are all guilty)

UT is the same university that has the police protecting all its players in Austin

Big players get paid