LZ's Blog: Film school: How the Giants used scheme to stop the running game.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Shaft75, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

DexmanC likes this.
  2. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

texans got read like a book, nothing more to it. sad they couldn't counter at the half but not making adjustments proves why this staff isn't up to par.

3. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Really interesting stuff from LZ. Wouldn't be amazing to see/hear Kubiak get asked questions like this every week for half an hour or so? When I was young, I remember the Tom Landry show on Sunday mornings and he spent about 10-15 minutes with his projector and pointer breaking down plays. Instead, we get 5 questions from McClain about whether the loss was disappointing. Then, Kubiak is on for an hour on Monday evening, and he gets asked almost nothing substancial the entire time.

4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Good read. I don't agree with much of what he says, but it's interesting to see different opinions.

I think we tipped our hand. I rewatched the game & every time the motion man ended up near the OL, it was a run play. If the motion man ended up out wide, seperated from the line, it was a pass.

they new the run was coming, & sold out. Overloaded the play side & got to Arian before he could cut back.

On pass plays, they didn't bite on the PA..... just dropped in their zones.

The only plays we made good on, were Andre being Andre, & plays where there was no motion & they had to play honest.

I'm watching the Cowboy game now. The 'boys didn't pick up on it, but we're doing the same thing.

Dennison has some work to do.

5. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

While watching the clip where the Giants put 9 men in the the box, I couldn't help but think/yell in my head... WHY CAN'T THE QB EFFIN AUDIBLE??!?!?!?!

Don't you think opposing teams know that we don't audible? I would stack the box too if I were the Giants. Myers may not have seen it, but I'm sure Schaub did. Audible to a pass play and either take that 9th man out of the box, or torch their pansy asses! GEEZ!

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Really?

We were able to actually put drives together in the second half. Couldn't score, but we were moving the ball better. If it weren't for Schaub being a slow starter, maybe things could be different. He never got anything started in the first half.

The defense looked like a pro D in the second half, only allowing 10 points.

7. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Alright, so we need healthy receivers worse than I thought. I didn't realize AJ's speed was in question, but that's what I guess I'm hearing. Safeties don't worry about the go route, etc.

8. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Yeah, they did look a lot better after adjustments. Problem is those "adjustments" weren't to the Giants; they were just various bad play that never should've happened in the first place.

9. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

He's severely hobbled by the ankle sprain right now... combine that with Jacoby's injury and we have nobody that can stretch the field. AJ's speed is fine when he's healthy.

10. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

I have to say you and Dale Murphy are doing a fantastic job. I am really enjoying this and I am hoping the Team catches a glimpse of your observations

11. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

Walter isn't a legitimate number 1 receiver. A hobbled AJ didn't draw attention to give KW room. Jacoby was sidelined and Dickerson... he may have potential but potential not named Bush doesn't scare coaches in this league.

Its obvious that they didn't fear the pass and no matter how good you are at running the ball.. if you can't threaten the pass you're not going to do much. If we had a huge oline who could create space at the line and a rb who was made to run through people we might have seen a different outcome. The problem is that this offense is built to work together. We've got a contingency plan for AJ and his name is JJ. He was out of the game. When you are missing two cogs in the lineup you're going to struggle.. had it been one RB and one WR we are probably ok.... but its clear that the defense needs a deep threat to worry them because we can't run with the box stacked.

At least that's what I took away from this film.

Mike

12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

It should be noted that he's mostly reporting what was seen by an NFL OL coach. I'd be interested to hear specifically what you don't agree with and why.

13. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

The one thing that both LZ and Johnny Harris talked about Monday was the fact that the Giants were not scared of AJ (because of his high ankle sprain). Without Jacoby (athleticism and speed) and with AJ not 100% allowed them to do what they wanted to do, defensively.

(not sure if LZ's blog mentioned that, because I haven't read it yet).

14. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

From what I got out of it, the Giants played 8 iin the box just about the entire game. They attacked the los instead of reacting. They had faith in their DL to get pressure on any pass plays and stopped our OL from getting to the 2nd level.

15. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

They are betting that Schaub has to get rid of it before he can burn them . This get amplified when AJ is hurt so stack the line and see what happens because Anderson and Walter isn't striking fear in anyone .

Is this like a theory or something .

16. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

The bolded is spot on, if you factor Jacoby Jones, or lack thereof!!

17. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I kinda wanted to see Dickerson because you don't need experience to be big and fast . I didn't watch the videos but I bet they were jamming the WRs . AJ on one good foot would have a hard time .

18. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I don't remember Schaub ever having time to allow a WR to get downfield. The lack of a rushing attack allowed them to attack upfield, and Caldwell and Butler got blown up bad. As did Winston. Lb's were meeting Leach in the backfield.

It seemed to me that Schaub played scared the entire game. Perhaps it was a bad idea to let him watch the G-Men sack Cutler 9 times in the first half the previous week. And Dennison was thoroughly outcoached by Fewell.

19. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

We do some. Not a big "Matt take over at the LOS" type. He checks off some plays and flip plays. - GK

20. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

If the team really need 'help' from a reporter and a blogger, the team is FAR FAR worse than I could possibly imagine.

J_R likes this.