LZ: The offense is very much broken and Kubiak can’t rely on ‘the system’ he has to f

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Tango, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Tango

Tango Rookie

LZ's post on the Texans offense. I think it's pretty insightful. Looking forward to his upcoming breakdowns.

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootba...iak-cant-rely-on-the-system-he-has-to-fix-it/

2. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

Merge ahead

3. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

That implies that the offensive line is reason why Schaub is playing as bad as he is, and is the reason why Foster is playing as bad as he is.

I'll buy that. It all starts up front. I know that's a boring cliche to the fans, but it is what it is.

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Schaub just not looking like same QB as early season. He looked sharp and on target and I often exclaimed during a game "daang, Matt is zone in." Now he is over, under or just out of reach of his target. It happened in the N.E. game and he just has not been same player. I do not mind him throwing ball away but he just does not seem to be aware of his surroundings during a game; shell shocked or concussed if I did not know better.

5. Dishman

Dishman Miss Ya Blue

If you read the stuff prior to that part about the O-line Schaub doesn't come out unscathed.

Edit: but, yeah you're right about it starting up front for both our lines.

6. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

LZ is on track.

Schaub is playing it safe.

O-Line is lacking talent at two, probably three positions.

And Gary needs to look at different ways to playcall within those limits.

7. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade Hall of Fame

But we have three pro bowlers on that offensive line. Duane Brown (LT), Wade Smith (LG) and Chris Myers (C). So basically LZ is saying we made a huge mistake letting Mike Brisiel and Eric Winston go last off-season. Well yeah, I sort of knew that. Everybody knew that. We've been working with a somewhat mediocre right side all season long.

It just bothers me it was all about the salary cap and they went to Oakland and Kansas City for more money - a place they will never win. Should have taken a pay cut or restructured to play for a winner and been a part of something special.

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

It doesn't make sense to me. We've got the same 5 guys in front him that we started the season with, save Ben Jones. Personally I think Ben Jones is playing better than Caldwell in both the run & passing game. Yes he had issues with Wilfork, but other than that, I think he's held his own.

I don't understand why Matt can play like that, or that Arian can play like that behind Gump, & not Jones. I think Jones is an upgrade.

9. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade Hall of Fame

I've seen quarterbacks do more with less talent on the offensive line. Like I said, we've got three pro bowlers up front, two of which should be All Pros. It's not the offensive line's fault like people are making it out to be. They are talented. I don't even want to blame it all on that right side either. Schaub is just too damn slow in the pocket. He's got to move like he used to.

10. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

In the comments section, Zierlein identifies Schaub as one of the root problems. The other problem is the line. Though both problems have separate origins, the line is complicating the problems with Schaub. Maybe rotating rookies into the right side has diminished pass protection and prevented synchronicity for zone blocking. Whatever's going on, Schaub is not the QB he was even a month ago. One TD in the past four "must win" games is a meltdown.

I don't know yet what Zierlein's logic is for diagnosing the problem at QB, but mine is based on annual trends. Every year, I go back and forth from believing that Schaub has successfully broken through his ceiling (he made an undeniable case early in the season), to concluding that he is on the downward slope of his peak.

I find myself experiencing the same emotions with Schaub every year, making the same observations, then coming to the same conclusions. This is what I posted last season, saying the exact same thing, and referencing the exact same thing from the previous year.

Link.

In the first half of this season, Schaub played the best I've ever seen him play. But it's part of a trend now, and it's been happening every year.

DocBar likes this.
  11. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

I am never going to tell or suggest that a grown man take less money to do anything much less a job that puts his body at risk like the NFL. It was the job of the texans to either have the funds to keep the players or a better plan of replacement than we saw this year.

Runner likes this.
  12. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

LZ has lots of insight via his father about line play...so the fact that he's saying we need a "talent infusion" at 2 maybe 3 spots tells me all what i already know...

Schaub could certainly stand to play better, but the whole offense run game and pass game, has taken a nose dive and that has more to do with o-line play than schaub's play.

13. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Wade Smith in the Pro Bowl is a bit of a head scratcher, personally. Brown let Freeney blow right by him. And Myers appeared to have an average game at best. Teams have been blowing up our run blocking of late in the middle.

14. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

Yeah. Wade Smith may technically be a pro bowler, but he's definitely NOT a pro bowler.

He's right. It's OL. And OL affects everything we do. And if the offense isn't doing well, the defense carries the burden, and the defense can't carry the burden because Cushing is out.

15. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

The line isn't horrible though. I'd place more of the blame on Schaub than the OL. Schaub's throws are terrible and he can't do crap on the run. He must be set, feet planted and shoulders square, but even then he can't hit an open James Casey or Jean in stride because he doesn't have the arm. I've seen many QBs hit receivers with similar types of coverage (throwing them open) and them catching it in stride and taking it for a big gain. Only time Schaub did this was with an assist from the Denver thin air earlier this season.

16. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Can't rely on the system and a limited qb. Schaubs better days behind him. Need three new starters on oline with no cap space? Man did the Texans peak last year? Do we fight off indi next year? Just rambling sorry

17. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

Nce read but predictable to me is a draw or screen on 3rd and long every time, It is predictable if we all as fans know its coming, so obviously that D.C making a few million coaching for the other team must know its coming to.

Other than that i agree with most of it.

18. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

A lot of teams have a 4yr window to win a championship. Did we screw the pooch in 2009 and 2010 and now our best days are behind us ? I hope not but we need to do some serious retooling of this offensive line or its going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

19. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

It appears that way, except on defense where they are a bit younger. The offense's best days are way behind, unless we get a new playmaker QB and some OL help. Our receiving core isn't that bad tbh. Manning would kill with it.

20. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

All we need is a new QB another possible future #1 WR to play behind AJ, and this team can still over come dumb ass kubiak. We arent far away from being elite.