LZ -- Ranking the Top 40 Texans for 2013

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Playoffs, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

LZ -- Ranking the Top 40 Texans for 2013

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2013/06/ranking-the-top-40-texans-for-2013/

False Start likes this.
  2. False Start

False Start On # 69

Good read, thanks a lot! :jam: :cool:

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

And so we begin.

First, this makes even less sense than giving draft grades, but I've got nothing better to do.

I question his logic on some of these. Brandon Brooks shot up his board, from 36 to 19, but Newton dropped from 28 to 33.... Whut?? I think Newton was a much better RT than Brooks was RG & both players improved throughout the season, at least until Newton's injury.

I don't have a problem with him ranking Brooks ahead of Newton, if that's the way he feels, that's the way he feels. But for Brooks to shoot up so far & Newton to drop so far... just doesn't make sense.

Then he's got Braman at 29. Brandon Harris isn't even in the top 40... yeah, I'm not seeing it. I like Braman, but if I were going to classify only one of those two as a football player.... it'd be Harris.

Then he feels the Texans have little confidence in Braman & that lack of confidence prompted the drafting of two players to play ahead of him... but he puts Brooks Reed at 18, Mercilus at 21..... hello??? If they're drafting players to play OLB, neither of these guys should be close to the top 20.

jmo

Now, I do agree that JjWatt, Duane Brown, Andre Johnson, & Arian Foster are our best 4 players. But Cushing rounds out the top 5 & it's not even close.

Jjo, had a great 2011. Had a solid career before that, but only solid. I'd love to see another pro bowl season from the man before I put him in our top 5.

Lastly, Ben Jones. Z says this:

As far as making the calls & snapping the ball, of course that was all Chris Myers. But once the ball was snapped Chris Myers & Mike Briesel performed extremely similar roles depending on where the play was going & how the DT was lined up. On most other teams, if I'm the Mike I know I've got to look out for Chris Myers on run plays to my side. If the DT has him, I'm home free. But with Briesel... or Ben Jones I can't just read that DT, I've got to look for that RG.

Brandon Brooks is a fine player, but he doesn't have the speed or agility that BenJones or Briesel does. If he's pushing the DT back onto Myers, as the Mike I'll probably get past him before he's free. Yes, Brooks is the more powerful player, but he plays more like the guy WadeSmith was in 2010.

Now I don't know if Kubiak wants a 2010 WadeSmith on both sides of Myers. If that's what he wants he'll probably get that in 2013, but we'll need to replace Wade Smith soon. But I really liked the versatility we had starting Briesel (who Ben Jones is a younger better version) & we'd be much closer to the 2010 league leading offensive line with Ben Jones (a younger better Briesel) at RG and Brandon Brooks (a younger better Wade Smith) playing at LG.

Other than that.... good article.

4. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Damn. I can not wait until the first game. I am so tired of projections and lists and whatever. Not that I discount lists where Texan players are ranked high, it's just I'm tired of words already.

TejasTom likes this.
  5. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

OK, now it's time to rank the top 50,000 Texans fans. :stirpot:

6. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

This isn't about how they performed last year, this is how they're expected to perform THIS year... and I believe it's based on what Lance has seen and heard that OTAs. So he's looking at something most of us haven't had access to.

Judging from Steph's reports, Brooks has been looking like one of (if not THE) the most improved player so far. And what you saw last year, where the Mike didn't have to worry about him getting to the second level, that might be a thing of the past. It certainly sounds like it from early reports.

And with Newton on the sideline and from some reports having weight issues, Newton may have taken a big step back because of that.

BUT... like any grade that projects, it's all just an opinion.

7. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

The one that stumps me is safety Manning being ranked #7 on that list ?

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I thought that about a lot of the rankings, but after my
    If they're drafting players to play OLB, neither of these guys should be close to the top 20.
    comment..... I started thinking it might be hard to find 20 players more worthy than Brooks Reed & Whitney Mercilus.

So.... let's make our own list. I'll start with the top 5.

1. Jj Watt
    2. Andre Johnson
    3. Duane Brown
    4. Arian Foster
    5. Brian Cushing

What do y'all think?

9. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

yeah i dont feel like i need to be personally spot lighted. So We can skip #1 and do the top #2-50,000 texans fans. Just saying guys :smiliedance:

TejasTom likes this.
  10. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I agree, these lists are silly.

11. Vance87

Vance87 Hall of Fame

Sucks that we have to wait until literally the last game of the 1st week. From the first game thursday to our game monday night at 9pm central time will feel like an eternity.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I hate it... but I get to watch more football that way.

If the Texans played Thursday night, I would be too preoccupied "studying" the game to watch any other.

If the Texans played Sunday morning, I'd watch the Thursday game, then the Texans.... then I'm "studying" the Texans game. If they play Sunday afternoon or night, something similar.

Being Monday night, I can watch all the games then Texans last & then pick it apart till next Sunday.

13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Chris Myers dead money after '13 is $4m but only two if cut after '14. Chris Jones should be ready. I agree with LZ.

Mitchell. I didn't see it last season but hope Lance is right and Mitchell will become another Chris Myers in middle of the line, undersized but solid.

Crick imo should replace Smith in '14. Not heartbroken if he extends but big savings if not.

Brooks is OG of future just which side. We also have time to see if Q will work out before having to look for OG in 2014. Then there is Cody White.

14. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Ben Jones started lots of games last year @ RG and was voted the Texans top rookie, but have heard nothing about him this year so far ?

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think he's finishing up his college degree. Says he took 12 hours at Georgia for the spring semester.

Should be around for mini-camp I would think.

16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Someone said he was getting reps at RG in OTAs

17. theNumber80

theNumber80 Rookie

Arian Foster and Duane Brown ranked higher than Andre Johnson is a joke. ESPECIALLY Foster. Duane Brown is IMO the best LT in the game so I could somewhat accept that but no way in hell is Foster better than Andre. Not even a top 5 RB in my opinion.

18. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Despite your moniker - which kinda says you're not unbiased - you might want to rethink that.

Foster had 17 TDs last year (led the league in rushing TDs by the way), A.J. had 4. Just from a scoring impact, Foster is ahead of A.J.

And for the record, I think they both should be in the top five.

19. theNumber80

theNumber80 Rookie

You mean those 17 TDs inside the 5 yard line? REAL impressive. Did you watch Foster? He can't break a tackle to save his life, doesn't fight for extra yardage, and lacks explosiveness which is why his longest run was 52 yards...He didn't do much in the receiving game either. He falls down if someone lays a finger on him, don't even compare him to Andre Johnson. Andre provided a much bigger impact on offense than Foster did. Touchdowns are one of the most skewed stats by the way so you bringing it up is useless. We run a ridiculous amount at the goal line which is why Foster's TDs are so inflated and Andre's TD numbers are so low. Texans' fans should know this by now...

Andre Johnson >>>> Arian Foster

It's not even a debate.

20. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

You, sir, are an idiot. It has less to do with the personnel on the field and more about the philosophy behind the offense. The Texans WILL run the ball, at will. They WILL make you honor that. You can harken back to an older era, where a forward pass has 3 outcomes and two of them are bad, when you look at a Kubiak offense. Kubiak believes in owning the clock and running the football. Nothing will change his mind on that. That's how it's gonna be.