Luck, Mahomes, or Watson

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Chris, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Chris

Chris Veteran

If you are a NFL GM and you were to start a franchise right now who would take as your QB as your 1st RD pick?

2. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

I’d change the Coach first.

3. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Assuming they stay healthy?

4. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

The one to the left.

5. Chris

Chris Veteran

of course

6. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I’m more of a far right guy :shades:

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Mahomes.

Injury history and arm talent would be the deciding factors for me.

But I love all three. Think all of them are capable of leading teams to rings with the right pieces and coach.

ATXtexanfan likes this.
  8. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

The teams with good QB's would not leave them unprotected. Some have a dazzling 1st year and then settle back as fallible humans: Prescott, Watson, Mahomes(?)....

9. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

Luck just seems 'good' at best these days, so, meh.

Had Mahomes ahead of Watson by a good margin prior to the draft, and Watson has done plenty to shrink that gap, but Patrick has only solidified what I liked about him coming out, and done so in spades.

Wouldn't trade them straight up now, because Deshaun is simply 'ours' now and I'm completely confident he can hold up his end of the bargain to bring the big one home and the guy is nothing if not easy to root for, but if the idea is to get in a time machine and all that I still prefer Mahomes as the better young franchise qb.

10. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

That’s fair. You also must consider system fit. Mahomes seems better w/Reid’s offense, not saying Watson couldn’t either, maybe better? But we’ll never know, just hope O’Brian figures it out before it’s too late.

thunderkyss likes this.

11. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

If there was an expansion team forming up, which Texans would you initially protect from piracy?

12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Can't they protect all but a few of the 53?

13. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

This is a passer's league and Mahomes is far and away better than the other two arm wise. He also hasn't thrown an INT so far, so at this point he looks like the most mistake free QB out of the three.

14. edromeo

edromeo All Pro

Trying to separate for scheme and personnel

Mahomes has him on the arm strength...Mahomes arm strength is hard to comprehend. I saw vid of him casually launching the bar over 80 yds....

Playmaking i'll call it a push -- Watson is a more dynamic runner and can still make big time throws....Mahomes can seed the ball anywhere downfield when he scrambles

Mahomes has a cleaner injury history

Watson has rare poise

I'll give the edge to Wats because the poise is gonna carry him through some tough situations

15. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

So far Mahomes has shown a better tendency to get the W. Watson played great last season, but still was losing several games. Part of that is due to his TO's. Mahomes has thrown zero picks and has also had his defense put their team in tough situations, but his lack of TO's made a difference. Watson still hasn't even found his groove yet this season. We'll see what happens.

16. edromeo

edromeo All Pro

We're seeing different things then. A QB doesn't get the W the team gets the W. I was looking at the QB as prospects trying to divorce them form team related stuff as if both played for the Chiefs

But you are right that Mahomes has thrown fewer INTs but then again when you've only been sacked 4 times? A QB is going to have an easier go of things.

I think Watson is playing better then many people give him credit for....but the bar was set at such a ridiculously high level last year that his production this years 'seems' tepid by comparison even though it most certainly isn't.

thunderkyss likes this.
  17. Earl34

Earl34 All Pro

Only because of Watson's injury history, I'm leaning Mahomes.

Many people mentioned INTs as a difference between Watson and Mahomes. What's funny is that going into the season, the Chiefs had major concerns about Mahomes and turnovers. During training camp, he threw seven INTs. The regular season starts and he hasn't thrown one. I think he is due for

Right now, Mahomes has the advantage because Andy Reid is a better offensive coach and teacher than O'Brien. However, similar to O'Brien, Reid has the bad habit of making questionable time management decisions at the most crucial times. That might be the equalizer in the playoffs.

I don't recall a time where so many teams had so many young, promising QBs. I'm just glad we seem to have one on our favorite team.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2018/08/01/concerning-patrick-mahomes-interceptions-training-camp/

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

If we're using time machines, I'd take a pre injury, pre bad coaching Andrew Luck. That dude understands the game & has all the tools in spades. Had he been with a strong offensive teaching coach, he'd have won a couple of Super Bowls by now.

I think.

But I've been watching Luck a lot longer than the other two & right now I'm not too sure what either of them are, or could be.

Scooter likes this.
  19. Scooter

Scooter Funky

That would be my take exactly. You couldn't build a better QB - but coaching, injuries and a bad offensive line took their toll quickly. Sounds familiar.

20. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

I don't think Luck fits in with this discussion.

Perhaps a better fit for this discussion with be Garoppolo or Goff.

steelbtexan and Corrosion like this.