Lowering expectations for Demeco Ryans in 2011

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Tailgate, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

I know, now is not the time for being negative... but a particular quote in this blog entry today has me pretty worried about how much of an impact Demeco has had in the past for us vs what happened post injury, and what to expect in the coming seasons from him as he recovers. Average of 50% worse production over 3 years post injury?? :yikes:

I know there has been some discussions on this in the past. But I think its time for me personally hedge my bets and lower my expectations of the guy immediately moving forward.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/25686/injuries-to-watch-ryans-jones-drew

2. Crushing56

Crushing56 Rookie

Wow that scares me...

Section516 likes this.
  3. Rey

Rey Guest

Been saying this since last year right after he got injured.

I was actually worried about him before his injury because it looked like he put on a bit too much weight.

We definitely need some depth there. Veteran depth would be preferable.

4. DX-TEX

DX-TEX #BattleFightin

Channing Crowder just got cut by the Dolphins.

Decent pick if good price?

5. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

This is why I was hoping we could land Posluszney. CND has a good thread or post on this somewhere.

6. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

DeMeco just got paid then look what happened. Now his career is over?

Give me a break :polevault:

7. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

Cushing struggles when he has to lead the defense, maybe they can tell Dmeco not to force him self too hard and mostly focus on calling the right defensive assignments, playing zone, and making the easier tackles up the middle. He'll just have to learn to put Cushing in the right places to make plays for him while he heals up this year

8. dinkatoid

dinkatoid Veteran

While I am definitely worried about Ryans, I think it is important not to go overboard one way or the other. I am not going to jump up and say he will be 100%, but I wont say he is going to be half the player he was either. That average is a league wide average, which can be affected by things such as age, position, etc.

I am sure quite a few older players suffered massive declines in production. Ryans is still young, so I would say that has to help his odds some. Position players are also hit the hardest from these types of injuries. These guys rely on their speed and athleticism quite a bit, so losing it hurts their production greatly. On the flip side, someone like an OL usually suffers less. Fortunately for us, Ryans is somewhere in the middle. He wont have to run all over the place to make plays, I have seen quite a few not very mobile ILBs be good players.

Point is, there is not much use worrying over something like this at this point. I am sure he will start slow from being rusty, but we should get a good feel for how he is doing after a few games. I also think that if need be, Sharpton could be a solid player there for us, even with his smaller size.

9. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

not sure if this was the same study but this was a thread a while back and Doc (CnD) weighed in on it
    post 27
    http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76853&highlight=Achilles+tendon&page=2

hopefully saved CnD from some more typing :D

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  10. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Yep. CND has been telling this for awhile now.

*edit - Wolf beat me to it.

11. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Source, please?

No news on this from the usual sources; ie Schefty, Mort or Clayton.

12. DX-TEX

DX-TEX #BattleFightin

13. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

14. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

I mentioned this is another thread about DeMeco. I'm not sure how good he's going to be this season. The type of injury he suffered takes a long time to fully heal. If the Texans are wise they must have more than an adequate replacement for Ryans. I don't know whether or not if that guy is already on the roster, but I hope the Texans have plans in case Ryans is struggling. Not suggesting that he's going to suck or that his career is over, but he had a major injury and the Texans have to be prepared.

15. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they let Keglar and Sharpton get a shot and let Ryans heal up some more. Maybe it would be wise to PUP him and brink him back a full year after the injury.

16. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Thanks, Wolf for saving me alot of search time.

The more "ominous" comparison conclusions of the 2009 article that was initially referred to in my post is probably worth posting for perspective.

I remain hopeful, yet very guarded about Demeco's return level of performance, as his position of LB will be expected to rely on Achilles strength and function greater and more often than most positions.

17. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

CND, what's your opinion on him starting the season? Would you let him have it and monitor him or would you be more cautious and give him plenty of time for strenchening and stretching and severely limit his playing time?

18. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

This is why I've been saying we need to go after Nick Barnett or one of the two ILBs from the Chargers. CnD said that in a thread and then I looked at our LB depth and... dude. We need to patch that up.

19. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I worry any time I hear the words "AHEAD OF SCHEDULE!" Think back to those past outcomes........specifically, short term.

I've said before, I don't feel comfortable starting Demeco at ILB in a 3-4 right off the bat...........and without any additional solid roster ILB to supplement him as he gains strength in practice settings or to replace him if he falters. Not to anticipate the worse and hope for the best would be down right unrealistic, and maybe even "old Texans-like."

20. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

The study is definitely limited. A third of the players didn't return to play and they didn't have a real reason why. I imagine that some percentage that never returned did not return because they were either not good enough to make it to begin with or they were older and were planning on retiring anyway. It's a limited study. We don't know the extent of anyone's injuries in the study, including Demeco's.

I too think it's way too early to make any sort of judgement, but my guess is that Demeco was never a player that was overtly physically gifted. He was a smart player who made his living by being observant on and off the field. I think that even at 70-80% he's still going to be a good player since his instincts are still solid.