Low Wonderlic scores ding elite NFL prospects

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Wolf, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=pfw-20110317_low_wonderlic_scores_ding_elite_nfl_prospects

2. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Every year I think of all the college scholarships and educational opportunities that are wasted on guys who can't spell football vs. all the guys who had to go to work or the military because they couldn't afford college. It's a shame we value running, throwing, and jumping more highly than english, math, and science.

3. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

"Peterson plays like a low-test guy," one NFL decision maker told PFW on the condition he remain anonymous, "but [if] he's in 'cat' [man-to-man] coverage in the NFL, it's not as big of an issue"

Here was where I thought Peterson's game was lacking from what I saw on his game tapes.
    It's a red flag for anybody considering moving him to safety!

4. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Yay, Peterson will now fall to the Texans..... :smiliepalm:

5. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Wonderlic test means jack as far as intelligence goes. My roomate is a computer engineer who sucks at grammar and is decent at math. He would probably not do so well on that test, yet he's a genius with a computer and already has a job lined up when he graduates.

Dan Marino scored a 15 on the Wonderlic, but he sure as hell could read a defense and throw a football. I could give a crap about what these guys score on some "intelligence" test. Put some plays up there and test them on football knowledge. You don't have to solve a word problem while running an out route...

bah007 likes this.
  6. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

As usual QBs and OL have the highest scores.

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Peterson won't be drafted because of his english, math, or science skills. It's the running and jumping that will earn him $$$.

I won't claim that Peterson is an instinctive football player. What I will claim is that the Wonderlic test is not a tool to determine a player's football IQ. And I must really question a scout's IQ that thinks otherwise.

8. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Problem with Peterson was he didn't read the overall offensive scheme well as the other top CB prospects.
    In this instance, the test is comparable with football intelligence.

He could be just like Woodson, who didn't believe in film study when he first started out in the NFL (his own words, in a book that I have somewhere in the room right now.)