Looks like the NFL/NFLPA WILL "GIT 'ER DONE".......EARLY!

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by CloakNNNdagger, Feb 17, 2011.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Both sides must be seeing that the game of "chicken" is likely to result in the survival of only rotten left overs and some feathers. link

2. GP

GP Go Texans!

Finally. What looks to be real, substantial discussions.

The prior B.S. was just sickening, IMO. A lot of posturing and sabre rattling by the owners. And not much pressure applied to the owners, IMO, by Goodell.

3. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

That would be the best thing for the fans, owners, and players. Fans get the game they want, players continue to get paid and don't lose money, and owners are able to make money and keep tv revenue.

4. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

If we had a list of the things players and owners are fighting over, we could have a Mock NFL CBA Negotiation! That will help get us through the offseason!!!

Any takers...? :slapfight:

5. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I hope this mediator's as good as everyone says he is. He's going to have to be damn good in order to mediate these bunch of whiney bitches.

I'm very happy they're making a commitment to stay at it. Let's just hope both party's stay commited

6. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

This is PR. The owners want more $ and 18 regular season games. They also want a rookie pay scale. The new head of the players union can't go down without a fight so I smell disaster.

7. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I agree with both of you. The BS was sickening. Owner's walking out because they were "so far apart on a deal"? That's why you SHOULD BE IN THE MEETING!!

I really hope they're sincere about this but we know what the owners' want and we know the NFLPA has a rookie leader that doesn't want to get looked like the layed down and gave up. I would think the PA would also be in favor of a rookie pay scale... IF the owners would use the "savings" on veteran proven players. That's what the vets want.

8. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

It'll be interesting to see if McLame has a decent thought awhile back. He wondered if the 18-game schedule was a ruse by the owners...something they could give up to keep everything else they wanted.

9. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

As long as the 18 game season gets nixed, I am a happy guy.

10. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I've heard a theory that the league doesn't really want the 18 games, but they have been waving that around like a big stick, they will push through all their other agenda and then to look magnanimous give the players their 16 game season.

As for the 7 days of negotiations, I will believe after 7 days, one afront and out they go again.

11. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I'll certainly second that emotion. :)

12. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I've wondered the same thing. It's a classic bargaining ploy, to ask for far more than you want in order to concede certain things like you are giving up something.

Owners are going to win this battle. There's only 32 of them, and in spite of their own internal differences, they also have much in common in the end. It's much easier to put up a unified front with 32 people than it will with 1900+ people. Plus, players are not equal to each other, as some are elite and paid accordingly, while many fall in the bottom part and will need their paycheck sooner than later.

13. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

This is still a bunch of posturing. The owners are just going through the motions.

14. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

yeah this is PR stuff i beleive it till i see it

to me the moood im seeing is the owners are already rdy to sitout the first half of the season and thats just the starting point they figured hell if we go that far why not go all the way

15. CloakNNNdagger

The Federal mediator just announced that these meetings will be closed to the media.

16. TD

TD TT Huckaboo

I find it hard to believe that the rank and file members aren't really for a rookie wage scale; especially if it results in a bump to league minimum. All the guys who have actually played an NFL game stand to benefit.

17. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

It's my understanding that the players understand and agree somewhat that there should be a rookie pay scale. I think the difference between the 2 sides has to do with money saved once the pay scale commences

18. TD

TD TT Huckaboo

Yep...at the end of the day its about revenue sharing and the salary cap. The rest is just noise.

19. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I wonder what the players end up getting in return if they end up losing revenue to the owners. Money saved from rookie pay? NOT extending the season? Obviously both sides will need to concede something. It should be interesting

Either way, as a fan, I just want it done now before it screws FA and the draft. That's asking for a lot considering how things have gone, but we didn't do anything to deserve this BS

20. CloakNNNdagger

League, union say they won’t talk about mediation process