Looking past the Jags, the Titans are on the horizon

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by hollywood_texan, Oct 16, 2006.

1. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

Two weeks from today is going to be a very interesting day of reflection on this franchise.

This will be the first must win for the Texans.

2. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

If every game is not "must win" for a team, they might as well not play the game.

3. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Must win for what? To keep us in the playoff hunt, out of the AFC South cellar, or to avoid looking bad not taking VY? Man, I'me so sick of fricking losing!

4. hollywood_texan

I think many outsiders are going to be looking at that game to make the final determination that the Texans are on their way to being one of the worst franchises of all time.

Also, it isn't going to demoralize the fan base losing to the Titans and having VY play big part of it.

The Texans are like the Aggies, the year is made by beating just one team. We should change the name to the Houston Taggies!

5. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Considering our current production and amount of injuries this far into the season, I would be very pleased splitting the two Titans games.

We're in deep trouble :)

6. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

We shouldn't look past the Jags. We need to take this one loss at a time.

7. kcwilson

kcwilson All Pro

Now there is the consumate professional... totally focused on the next game and not dreading the next loss until he has time to digest the current one facing him. Wear a cup, this one is going to hurt.

Well done.

Runner likes this.
  8. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Is this a "must win" or just another of those "just play well" type situations. I'm getting them confused lately.

hollywood_texan likes this.

9. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

If we thought we couldn't run against the Cowboys, I expect the running game to become even worse against the Jags front 4

10. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

I just don't understand that. We're not even the worst franchise this year. I wouldn't even put us in the bottom five (Oak, Det, Ten, TB, GB). Everyone will feel differently after we beat the Jaguars. Some folks around here are chronically depressed. It's not that bad. We're 1 and 4, yes, but all four losses were to teams that would be playoff teams if they weren't in the same division (real tough to get three teams in one division to the playoffs).

The only bottom-half team we played, we beat. It wasn't really a "fluky" sort of win, either. It really felt that we deserved it, even if the 4th quarter collapse feeling from last year started creeping up on us.

We usually play the Jags well, and their massive DLine with weak LBs (Peterson's IRed) is perfect for a power running game. If we can't get it going there, it's not going to work at all. They eat up sloppy QB play between their rush and Rashaun Mathis, but Carr has been nothing but accurate all season long, even under pressure - he's got what, 1 INT that was a bad throw? Maybe 2? I don't think Mathis can match up with either Moulds or Johnson (just as long as AJ doesn't drop it!). No one on their offense scares me. Fred Taylor following Greg Jones was a little worrisome, but Jones is IRed and I think Demeco can deal with Taylor for us.

11. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I don't agree with that..NFL is parity now and after 4 years we shouldn't be blown out by the "playoff teams"..

I may think we won't win, but we surely shouldn't be blown out.

12. Vinny

I see you are still under the assumption that we have a power running game. :rolleyes:

13. kcwilson

kcwilson All Pro

I am going to try and not be a homer about this...

Tennessee: Admittedly, they have been playing well. They just beat the Redskins, who tromped our butts, and also held Indy to 14 points, as opposed to our 43. How they are a worse franchise after mostly having a better record than us the past four years is beyond my reasoning.

Tampa Bay: Not sure why they are terrible, their defense is strong, played a tough schedule, and lost their starting QB to a ruptured spleen. (Balt, Atlanta, carolina, NO, and Cincy) I wouldn't put them anywhere close to our class of bad.

Detroit: They are bad because of how long they have been bad for... but Matt "Casserly North" Millen is their cancer and they have been steadily improving, including the win against us last year and having watched their games because my bro is a detroit fan, I can't honestly say that we could beat them. It would be close.

Oakland: No contest...

Green Bay: Haven't seen enough to form a great opinion...

We can play the jags tough but plain and simple, this Texans team is mentally soft. I can't put any faith in the team bringing any competitve spirit to the game. I really want them to win, but my head tells me that nothing we have seen leads us to believe that this team is a competitve team as put together as Jacksonville.

14. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

Well, you have to call it something. Dayneball? The Sherman Shuffle?

It sure isn't the zone-blocking we saw in preseason.

15. Vinny

oh yeah...we gotta come up with some bizarro-world nickname for our ground "attack"

16. Vinny

This is kinda Ron Daynish.....the Ron Danish? That has some potential hmmmm. Dayne runs like a rolling tomato...This logo is mean too.
    [​IMG]

17. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

No it isn't and whatever is being done different needs to stop. I could swear I saw one side of the center doing ZBS and the other not, while the center just randomly did one or the other. Other times, you've got both sides of the line pushing everybody inside and Dayne running right up the gut into about 11 people. It's really pretty ignorant stuff, from what I can tell.

18. tsip

tsip Hall of Fame

I can understand your confusion because we've done neither on a 'regular' basisi--maybe we should add 'just show up' to the mix-no way to screw that up, right?

19. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I think the Jags game is one of those "keep your head down, try not to show your shame, and just get the punishment over with" games. It'll be similar to the Colts game, I'm sure. The Titans game will be worse though, because some people still expect us to win that one. It's not looking so good if you ask me.

20. hollywood_texan

I like the way you put that.

Playing the Jags is like being locked up in a small cage with a 5,000 lb gorilla.

The idea isn't to win, it is too survive!