Longhorns unveil "Godzillatron"

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by TexanSam, Aug 26, 2006.

1. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/08/26/texas.godzillatron.ap/index.html

[​IMG]

That scoreboard is HUGE!

2. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

WOW! That's friggin' insane. They should broadcast the away games on that thing, and charg admission to see it. Casue they would sell out DKR Memorial if they did.

3. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

It says it's the largest HD scoreboard for a short time at least. How big is the one that's going to beat it?

4. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

This is the view from 150 yards out:

[​IMG]

5. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

It looks like it could be a distraction for the players especially the QB. Imgaine dropping back to pass and seeing your receivers on the field and on the screen. Seems like it would throw them off. The screen is low enough to be in the field of vision of the QB.

6. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Harvard? Princeton? Screw that, look at that TV!!!

7. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Madden 07 on that would be so killer. You could sit in the opposite enzone and still be able to see everything.

8. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Wow, now fans that sit in the "horse shoe" (north end zone) will finally be able to see the game. If you've ever had to sit there you will know what I am talking about.

9. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I've never been to a game but by looking at pictures of the stadium, how can you see the game from that far back?

[​IMG]

10. Hookem Horns

You really can't. See the scoreboard in the horseshoe? I had season tix right underneath that thing. You can see squat. As you can see by that picture the field is too far away and the perception of yardage is tough to discern. I couldn't ever tell if someone gained 10 yards or 2 yards. It's a horrible design for football and unfortunately there is no real way to fix it. The horseshoe has some historical significance like WW1 and 2 memorials so I doubt they will ever reconstruct that part. However now with that HUGE HDTV the fans there will probably get to at least see the game on the screen.

After my first game in those seats I refused to sit there ever again. I just used my tix to get inside and always had luck finding empty seats in good areas. Of course it's not fun constantly looking over your shoulder expecting to get kicked out at any moment. I stopped buying UT season tix when the Texans launched because I prefer the pro game better.

11. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

12. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Not so fast, Longhorns! The Aggies got a new one too. Ours is friggin huge as well. I'm looking for a pic at the moment....

13. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Large pictures and small words.....should work well for UT folks.

TexansLucky13, gwallaia and Txn_in_FL like this.
  14. TexanExile

TexanExile A New Hope

That's bizarre. The Dolphins are heavily advertising their new HD screen at their stadium, which is 50 by 137. It must hurt their pride a little to know that that claim won't even be accurate by the start of the first regular season for the stadium owner's team!

And it is indeed BIG. I can see the thing from far away while driving home from work! At 137 feet wide, that's one foot for every Marlins season ticketholder right now.

:woot2

15. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

[​IMG]

Mr. White, awtysst and TexanExile like this.
  16. Hookem Horns

Thanks for the info. That is great news, I didn't think they would scrap the horseshoe but I am glad they are. Funny thing is, I live in Austin and never heard about this. This is probably due to me listening to Houston sports radio over the internet and never watching the news much here.

17. Txn_in_FL

Txn_in_FL Lucky 13

OUCH. That one had to sting a bit.

:crutch:

18. uteric3232

uteric3232 Rookie

You mean "ewetube", ya, we have heard of it...

19. uteric3232

uteric3232 Rookie

"Even so, in a state where size definitely matters, the Longhorn board will be bigger than a new one going up at Kyle Field at rival Texas A&M. That board measures 53 feet by 73 feet, said Alan Cannon, A&M's associate athletic director for media relations.

Cannon said he's ready for inevitable size comparisons between rivals. The Aggies play Texas in Austin on Nov. 24, when they'll get to see themselves on the big screen.

"Content is all that matters," Cannon said."

LMAO, yes, just try to justify it....

20. Rovator

Rovator Veteran

A&M's scoreboard is smaller, but it was only one part of a large upgrade. Also added were ribbon boards all along the 2nd deck, a multi-screen new scoreboard + ribbon boards for Reed Arena, a new video board for the Baseball field, plus another mobile board that can be used for other sports like soccer. Also I heard it was going to be able to be expanded in a few years.