Lockout in 2011/how probable?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by drs23, Sep 7, 2010.

1. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    I've been trying to dig up as much as I can find on this subject and quite frankly, there's not much to date. What I did find was not promising for a 2011 season. Most of the articles were dating from 08, 09. With the owners having income streams in place already it seems there's very little incentive on their part to compromise their position at all.

Yes, it's a battle of which of the rich get richer. The billionairs or the poor millionairs. I think both parties are setting the league up to put a stink on both parties that'll be as hard to wash off as skunk spray.

I like many others lived through the scub players and line crossers of the 80's and the product on the field was hardly worth the time spent watching. Didn't see any references to bring in non-union players again. Just a total stoppage. NO FOOTBALL.

What do ye say old wise ones? Will they slow down and look down the road at the big picture or keep playing the "it's all about ME" game? :slapfight:

Mods, didn't see the other thread, please merge

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  2. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

From the early stages, it certainly looks like it will happen, but i don't see it. I think the owners will come to realize eventually that it's not worth it to stop playing and mess the little integrity the league still has.

Plus alot of people would go ballistic without football, including myself. :choke:

3. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Part of the problem is that the owners are not a cohesive group at the moment. There is a power struggle among owners between the so-called "haves" and "have nots". The struggle pertains to the revenue sharing agreement that was put in place by Pete Rozelle and the owners during the merger of the NFL and AFL (it was something the AFL had done since it's inception).

Stop wasting my time
    You know what I want
    You know what I need
    Or maybe you don't

Do I have to come right flat out and tell you everything?
    Gimme some money, gimme some money

I'm nobody's fool
    I'm nobody's clown
    I'm treating you cool
    I'm putting you down

But baby I don't intend to leave empty handed
    Gimme some money, gimme some money

~ Spinal Tap :piano::dance::bguitar:

4. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

5. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
  6. Kulluminatii

Kulluminatii Hall of Fame

This portion of the article JT posted intrigued me.

The UFL is backed by some pretty rich people, and I remember reading they started the league knowing they will lose a lot of money the first 3-5 years of its existence. If a lockout does happen, the UFL could pretty much raid the NFL and increase their credibility & popularity ten fold. I think it would be very interesting if the NFL had a legitimate rival.

Kind of a random question, but does anyone know if its possible for an NFL team to switch leagues/make their own if a lockout does happen? I know the chance of that happening is very slim, but if a few of the teams wanted to play during the 2011 season, could they?

7. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Now is that wishful thinking on your part thinking the Raiders might be pretty good in the UFL? ;)

Kulluminatii likes this.
  8. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Thanks for posting this article, Joe Texan. After reading it, I'll be surprised if they can agree to a new deal in time for the 2011 season. It really seems like next year's season is headed for a stoppage.

9. Kulluminatii

Haha, while I'm happy we are in the NFL I can't say I'd be too surprised to see Davis give the middle-finger to the NFL (again) and switch leagues :D. I'm just wondering if a team were to switch leagues, would others follow? If so, this lockout could kill the NFL as we know it.

Its hard to imagine going a full year without football, and if a loophole let some NFL teams make a league, even if it were only for the duration of the lockout, I wouldn't be against it.

10. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

So, will there be replacement players or no games at all?

11. Kulluminatii

I'd say its most likely there won't be any games, it might piss off the Player's Association even more if the NFL continued with a bunch of Arena & CFL players.

12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Actually, I think that is what got them back to the table last time there was a lockout.

13. BIG TORO

BIG TORO TERADACTYL #23

It just seems like the players can't win, if they go play else where they will still take a pay cut because no other league generated the kind of money the NFL does, and the NFL could continue with players from other leauges and new players.

14. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

its not like most of the players are in the poor house

15. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

Just seems to me that Jerrah and his friends are in it again. Screwing up the league cause he wants to make a billion in one season

16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think it will be impossible for most of us to comprehend either side because we compare our income to owners and players. I think it is helpful to realize that those folks with significant lower salaries than us probably think we individually make too much for what we do. To answer the original question, I absolutely believe there will be a lock out as I think the 'have' owners will hold the 'have nots' feet to the fire for at least 4 games before their squealing gets loud. I think the players will have to make some concessions and the current union pres has indicated he is willing to negotiate on rookie salaries. That and guaranteed money is a huge cost and the owners refused to save themselves. The nut the squirrel (owners) is looking for is the percentage the players get. If they can reduce that the squirrel er owners will will be able to give more to the lower 1/3. As in basketball the last few minutes are when everything gets interesting.

Here is what I expect to be the result: rookie salaries greatly reduced. Another year added to time a player must have to become a free agent. Allowance for two "franchise" player free agents. A reduction in splitting profits to 50-50. An 18 game season with two pre-season. Not all teams sell out pre-season and if you are going to risk player injuries it should be for a game that counts. A lock out of 4 games should put more pressure on players than owners.