Lockout could open TV slots for UFL games

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Kulluminatii, May 19, 2011.

1. Kulluminatii

Kulluminatii Hall of Fame

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15077275/lockout-could-open-tv-slots-for-ufl-games

I think for the UFL to survive another season, besides getting more passionate (and rich) owners, they'll need to land a great TV deal with either Fox Sports or CBS Sports. It is interesting to see CBS Sports the one to put up this article, especially since a few days a go UFL commish Huyghue said a new TV deal is imminent.

2. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

My question is what keeps the current NFL rookies that just got drafted from playing in the UFL? They were drafted but not signed so technically they are out of football and owe the NFL nothing.

3. Kulluminatii

Kulluminatii Hall of Fame

I'd say the risk of injury and the payout (I think $40k is the minimum, with "star" players such as QBs making around $400k) are the two main reasons most rookies won't even consider the UFL. Although I wouldn't be surprised if some rookies that got drafted in the 6th-7th round gave the UFL a shot. I'd love it if some extremely rich people got involved in the league, might knock the NFL & the players down a peg and make them work towards a resolution quicker. But that is just wishful thinking on my part :kitten:.