Local Houston Press Texans bashing...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by SBTexans08, Sep 6, 2006.

1. SBTexans08

SBTexans08 All Pro

2. We he has them pegged at 6-10, which is where I have them. We are not going to have a playoff year people, we just need to see improvements. Going 6-10 is a good improvement in my book, but most fans are just way to unrealistic and want an instant success after the debacle we've seen over the last year. And I say just the last year because we were 7-9 heading into the 2005 offseason and that's when we made some seriously bad decisions all the way up to the 1st game in 2005

3. grnydrowave

grnydrowave Rookie

It's Madden. Not a crystal ball. By the way, Reggie Bush is godly in that game.

4. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

more spindoctoring

5. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

yep

6. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

6 - 10 sounds right.

who reads the houston press for sports info... that p. of s. is for kids who think they're trendy and only watch indie movies because they don't want the big studios to get thier cash. have you seen the ads for prostitutes in the back of that periodical? ignore that drivel.

7. SBTexans08

SBTexans08 All Pro

A co-worker of mine brought one up to me physically. I then figured I'd go into their website to pull it up and it was there. It sucks but hey, I figure the best is to laugh at it and put it behind us, hoping that things turn out for the better from here on out.

8. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Hey, outta all the things out there on the team, at least it is original.

Things won't change until the team changes.

9. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

I thought it was painfully truthful, and funny.

4. 2002: Drafting Jabar Gaffney ahead of Clinton Portis. The writing was on the wall -- Florida RBs are products of the system. Charley ignored the obvious and passed on the future All-Pro Portis.

1. 2004: Casserly signed tackle Todd Wade to a six-year, $30 million contract. Wade played two years and was cut. I'm not sure which was worse, the money they paid or the beating David Carr had to take last year because of the shoddy protection by Wade.

On Madden:
    That's Reggie Bush, 2006 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, he of the 1,766 yards rushing (just one big run away from setting an all-time rookie record) and the 404 yards receiving. With Bush, the Texans top the Cowboys in OT and beat the Colts twice (with Reggie getting 316 yards in one game). We assume Bush also walked on water at some point, but the Madden game didn't show it.

10. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Can't say I have...:whistle:

11. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I did too..
    when I read the Portis thing, I was thinking that some people don't think things through. Portis wouldn't be the RB you see right now due to our OL in 2002 and so on couldn't compare to Denver's Portis wouldn't have had the same am't of production.

and the Bush thing.. I didn't know Bush played defense that could shut down Payton and crew

12. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

I stopped reading at the Clinton Portis blurb ..... the NFL draft is a crap shoot for the most part, highsight is an exact science .....

13. Portis was clearly the more popular pick at that point. On the old boards there were serveral references to Portis sliding down to us and we didn't jump on it. It's not like it was in hindsight that we knew Portis was going to fantastic back, it was more like he was the better player judged by popular opinion at the time. More like Hindsight that had some foresight.

14. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

and if I had the access and the inclination I could probably dig up a bunch of other threads and posts about other guys that slid to us, weren't taken, and didn't pan out ...

15. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

Love your avatar, that thing is awesome.

Anywho.....Yup, when Portis was there we could have been all over it but were scared away because of his injury problems in Miami...which have actually still been evident in the NFL. Drafting Carr, Joppru, and Ragone have been big wastes of picks....then you have the horrible signings of Wade, Greenwood, Carr (re-signing), and Riley....

doug ftw

16. I suspect there won't be many because A) We had horrible drafts B) We always drafted high.

We did pass on Reggie Bush, Vince Young and Derrick Johnson recently. We'll see how they turn out.

17. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

agreed

irrelevent, to a degree, after the 1st round

18. BigDTexansFan

BigDTexansFan All Pro

well look at their preseason stats, Reggie Average, Vince Average...does anyone ever hear about Derrick Johnson...the media blew smoke up his skirt when he was drafted, but I don't recall much after that.:challenge

19. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

let's take Portis and put him behind the Texans O-Line circa 2002, see if he is force he was in Denver.

20. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

Porits may not ahve rushed for 1,500, but he would have rushed for at least 1,200. If DD can rush for 1000 plus, Portis would get that, plus would make the other players better. DD is a good running back, but he doesn't scare defenses the way Portis does. A threat everytime he touches the rock!