Listening to Mark Vandemere on 610.....

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by jayseed2002, Mar 30, 2006.

1. jayseed2002

jayseed2002 Guest

I was on the way home yesterday and he brought up an interesting stat on David YUGO and Joey Harrington:
    Games JH-58 DY-60

Games started JH-55 DY-58

ATT JH-1802 DY 1628,

COMP. JH-986 DY- 941

PCT. JH-54.7 DY-57.8

Yards JH-10,242 DY-10,624

Yards per Attempt JH-5.68 DY-6.53

LG. JH-86 DY-81

TD'S JH-60 DY-48

INT. JH-62 DY-53

20+ pass plays JH-118 DY-118

40+ pass plays JH-19 DY-18

Passer Rating JH-68.1 DY-73.7

The numbers are scary!!!! They are VERY SIMILAR! One not only loses his job but gets cut..... the other gets a multi-year, multi-million dollar extension. Detroit also won MORE games with Harrington than we won with David Yugo.... please draft VY! :redtowel:

2. texanfan2100

texanfan2100 Veteran

You have to look at the talent level around the two. Harrington went to an established team that surrounded him with three first round draft choice recievers and a decent offensive line. David CARR went to an expansion team that didn't exactly stockpile the roster with talent. Carr has also been hurt more than Harrington, maybe because of the aforementioned offensive line. It's unfair to compare the two.

This being said without even mentioning the coaching, which I'll choose not to dwell on. I'd rather pretend it never happened.

3. Texans Front Row Crew

Texans Front Row Crew Rookie

A big stat that you are missing is SACKS!!! I think Joey was sacked about 78 time in his career. While David was sacked 250+ ( and still able to put some numbers up) I'm for drafting Young, and keeping Carr. Who knows what is going to happen :twocents:

4. Frills

Frills Veteran

Harrington had an established team.

DC went to a team composed of players noone else wanted, and 3 years of rookie drafts

5. SnakeOilTanker

SnakeOilTanker Veteran

you have to be freakin kiddin me....if you really think they are that close as players...i dont even know I'm beside myself

Hey here's an idea...acually watch games...don't just look up stats.

6. Texans Front Row Crew

Texans Front Row Crew Rookie

Joey probably had more than 2.3 seconds to get rid of the ball- :stirpot:

7. texanfan2100

texanfan2100 Veteran

You seem to be missing the point on what I'm saying.:brickwall Harrington was put in a much better position to succeed than Carr. They actually gave him some weapons, and he was about the same as Carr. If Carr was given the opportunity (and coaching) Harrington was, he would have had a much better chance to succeed. I don't think Detroit's talent is horrible, they coaching an QB play has been suspect.

By established team, I meant that they had an organization in place, and had some players. The Texans were starting from scratch. I think that would qualify them as less established than a team that has been in existence for over sixty years.

Carr may not be an NFL caliber QB, but we don't know yet. He needs a chance to fail with a real NFL offense with real NFL talent before he can be called a bust.

8. texanfan2100

texanfan2100 Veteran

Harrington also got rid of the ball to the other team on a frequent basis. I'd rather have the sack.

9. texanfan2100

texanfan2100 Veteran

Ok, you obviously have an agenda here, so I'll ask. Who do you want to be the QB for the Texans in 2006?

10. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

PS: Most sportswriters are agreeing that JH's problem was that the Lions (including his teammates) gave up on him way too early. They didn't believe in him, and he didn't feel "wanted." Carr's got new coaches and teammates now who want to believe in him. Thats why Gaff was let go I bet. He didn't fit the profile

11. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Carr and Harrington both have not lived up to expectations. Carr has been extended and will be the Texans QB next year and Harrington is looking for a job. That is really all we need to know until the games start being played.

12. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Carr is easily the better of the two. Not saying he has been great, but clearly he has better physical ability. I still wonder about the mental part of the game for him, but it's very obvious to me that Kubes is surronding him with enough weapons to take any excuses away from him. If he is still miserable, then we will replace him. Not this year, and not with Vince. And of course, the best scenerio is that he steps up and at least gives us decent Quaterbacking.

Runner likes this.
  13. Frills

Frills Veteran

There's a reason Pendry doesn't have a job anywhere right now, and a reason Capers didn't get a HC job with all the openings as well.

14. texanfan2100

texanfan2100 Veteran

Ok, it makes sense now. You want them to draft Vince Young, so David Carr must be the second coming of Satan.:ok:

Look, they have made enough adjustments to be a real NFL offense next year. If they add Moulds and Bush, they'll have plenty of talent around Carr. How do you know that Carr can't take them where they want to go? Because he can't win with Corey Bradford, Jabar Gafney, Mark Bruener, and one of the worst coaching staffs in league history means he can't win at all? I think your burnt orange glasses are making you a little short sighted on this issue.

15. texanfan2100

texanfan2100 Veteran

I guess we'll find out this season.

16. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

David was PART of the problem. I have no qualms with that statement. Saying he is not part of the solution is just wrong though. You have ZERO idea if he is or isn't yet. I take it your name is not God or Kreskin. He now has the weapons he needs. If he doesn't produce decently, we can get another QB. They have them every year in the draft ya know. Or oh I forgot, VY is the only decent QB to ever hit the draft in the history of the NFL. Ya, we get it already. :brickwall

17. mike230765

mike230765 Rookie

Can we wait and see how the new scheme and new players help David before we continue to blame all of our problems on him? I still don't see how people can blame hime if he doesn't have a line

18. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Well, David Carr did need this and that. Carr hasn't had an offensive line at all in his career. Carr has been sacked 208 times. Harrington was sacked 77 times. You could put God behind center, and he won't be able to work wonders with the protection we had. You're making it sound like it was all Carr's fault. It wasn't. We had AJ as our reciever and no one else. We had no NFL quality tight end. And once again, our O-line. We started Victor Riley for half our games last season. It doesn't get much worse than that. Yes Carr had a terrible season, but to blame it all on him is being stupid and ignorant. And either way, we've signed him to a contract and there's a very, very, very small chance Vince Young will be drafted. Sorry.

19. el toro

el toro All Pro

Man, he's going to have a real line and a ton of real options this season. With that arm of his, if he has more than half a second to make a decision he is going to be dangerous...for every defense in this league.

20. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

This is really getting sad...sad.