Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Listen to the McLain comments on Jags game!

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
Where have we heard these comments before. In particular the last few seconds of the broadcast. Sounds like this board. Open up the offense and we just might win the game. Kind of funny to hear those words out of John. Looks like he has lost interest in Tennesse and is beginning to follow the Texans. That's a very good sign that we must be opening some eyes around the league.

Is this McLain guy your typical bandwagon jumper? :) I was watching NFL Matchup on NFL network, and they were saying decent things about the Texans. Good days are ahead.

Open up the offense and we just might win the game. Kind of funny to hear those words out of John.
Why is that funny? He's been saying that for weeks - just like a lot of other people.

Looks like he has lost interest in Tennesse and is beginning to follow the Texans.
McClain watches every Texans game from the press box wherever he's at on the road. At least that's what he says every Monday morning. He covers every Cowboys road game (wonder how he got that gem of an assignment) and mixes in assorted games of high interest the other 9 weeks of the season. He's on local radio in Houston every Monday and Friday for about 2 1/2 hours and talks a lot about the Texans and most other teams in the league. He's been following the Texans from Day 1 but he doesn't get to go to many of their games. He doesn't write about them that much because that's not his job - that job would belong to Joseph Duarte and Carlton Thompson. When he does cover them, it's often a "special to" like the offering this week on nfl.com. I doubt if he will lose interest in Tennessee before every last employee of the old Oilers is gone from that organization, including his friend C.O. Brocato who is on the preliminary nomination list for the Pro Football HOF Class of 2005.

We hear McLain quite a bit here in Houston Ibar. You are behind the curve a bit. He takes great interest in the team and he is all over the radio all week, every week. I don't think it is a state secret that we will need to win this game with a good air attack. The Jags have one of the best interior linemen tandems in the NFL.

I especially like how he picks us to lose every week. Always close to the same score also. This week its Jags 23 Texans 20. I understand why he does it though, but I always get a chuckle out of it.

I've picked us to lose nearly every week too....but I'm not on the radio (and I stay away from the prediction threads).

Like I said, I understand why he does it. We have beaten teams that we were not supposed to beat. The only team that I all out picked us to beat was San Diego. Look where that got me. I felt good about Detroit, but I knew that Ford Field was going to be tough. I thought KC would end their 0-2 start. I had a good feeling for the Oakland game, but I saw them demolish whoever they played the week before (can't remember who it was). I was pulling for the upset against Minnesota, and actually thought we had a chance at the upset. I thought we could beat Tennessee and we did. Wouldn't have been surprised if we didn't. I know who we are, and I expect us to play hard every game. I am getting more and more confidence in our team, especially since our defense is coming around. I think we will be ready tomorrow and we will play hard. I think the line at 1 is reality, and it's because we are at home. I like our chances, but I realize we are playing a very tough team, and it can go either way. I stay away from prediction threads also.

John has been covering the Patriots lately with thier streak and all. He was there two weeks ago and last week, He is all over the country during the season but his home is here. He covered the Crygirls because of Tuna boy but they are crappy now so his asignment has changed. He has always talked good about the Texans with me. Especially after I let him know how I felt.
He is a very nice guy and will talk in depth about sports with a vast knowledge of the sport he is talking about.

I like John McLain. He's always answered my emails, he's been very nice and he's very knowledgeable about the NFL. I enjoy his columns and he's got some great insight on teams and players on his 610 shows.

McClain is a fraud. All he does is take from ESPN, newspapers, and and internet stories about NFL Teams and relay it to people. There have been countless times where he's said verbatim what I read in a story by a random columnist. You and I could do the same thing McClain is doing. It's really lame.

McLain was the Oilers beat reporter for years and years and has one of the few votes as a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame induction committee and is probably the reason that Houston Oiler great Elvin Bethea made it into the Hall of Fame. If he is a fraud he has fooled the entire NFL.
I've received so many e-mails about former Oilers' defensive end Elvin Bethea being voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I'm including a few of them in this column. As one of 39 on the selection committee, it was an honor to present Elvin to the voters at our annual meeting the day before the Super Bowl.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/mcclain/qa/1764992

|The.Brandon| said:
McClain is a fraud.
I don't like McLain, either. Problem #1, he can be almost unreadable at times. #2, he's the face of the Chronic's pro football coverage...and I think they do a lousy job covering the NFL in general, and the Texans in particular.

Having said that, I still try to listen to the guy at least once a week on his radio shows on 610. Why? Because he knows stuff about the Texans that no other Houston sports reporter knows about the Texans. Not the Texans beat writers, not Bob Allen, not even Mark Berman. My guess his contact is Chris Palmer, since he knows him from back in the Oiler era. Whomever it is, McClain gets the inside dope.

|The.Brandon| said:
McClain is a fraud. All he does is take from ESPN, newspapers, and and internet stories about NFL Teams and relay it to people. There have been countless times where he's said verbatim what I read in a story by a random columnist. You and I could do the same thing McClain is doing. It's really lame.

I am not a huge McClain fan, but guys like McClain were more valuable when the average guy could not hear information 24 hours a day on sporttalk radio, ESPN or punch any newspaper in the country in like 30 seconds.

In fact, the national guys often get their stuff from local guys with connections. McClain is good on gosspy stuff because he gets barstool stories from his cronnies, but in hard news and analysis he comes up short.

We've discussed this many times before but the root of the problem is that the Chronic is the only newspaper in town. With no competition, you can get away with one Texans article per day in the middle of the season. Compare Texans coverage with other teams around the country. Look at redzone.org and look at the number of articles posted daily by other team's home newspapers. Most teams get multiple articles daily in-season. We get our ration of one per day. The only other teams with consistently bad coverage in their home newspapers is New Orleans, Atlanta, and Carolina (something about the NFC South?)... Anyway, if we had a new Houston Post, things would be much better. These guys have no competition so they don't have to work as hard as if they had local competition.

The new all-sports radio talk station in Houston will have an effect on SportsRadio610. Even though 790 will be mostly national stuff, it will cause a little pucker factor at 610 and that's a good thing.

Back