Lions will take #1 is .......

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by texanfan2002114, Mar 23, 2009.

1. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

Lions | To take J. Smith with first pick?
    Sun, 22 Mar 2009 18:38:30 -0700

KFFL has learned the Detroit Lions will take Baylor OT Jason Smith with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Random.....

But I'm sure people said the same thing when "Mario Williams will be the 1st overall pick" as well.

3. Polo

Polo Guest

Good.

Hopefully that pushes some trade bait our way.

BigBull17 likes this.
  4. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

It would be a very smart move for Detroit and will hopefully change some of the draft order to benifit us.

BigBull17 likes this.
  5. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Stafford got a high mark of 38 in the Wonderlic Test if you believe in that type of thing and smarts on the field. The Lions need that..lol

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  6. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

The best thing that could happen for us is if 5 left tackles, 2 running backs, 3 recievers, 2 QB's(3 would be nice) and 2 3-4 OLb's go before us. If that happened, Either Raji or Curry would fall. Best case senario.

7. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

If I were the Lions I'd seriously consider trading the top pick for Jeff Cutler ?
    No player in this Draft, no matter how talented, can offer what Cutler does -
    he's already proved he's not just established but an all-pro talent. And he
    plays at the most important position and the Lions need a starting QB.

BigBull17 likes this.
  8. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I would look long and hard at that, and I agree. He is a better QB than Stafford, and you would pay him less, at least for now. A #1 overall QB salary is not a nice thing.

9. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Raji! Raji! Man, we would never hear the end from John McClain if his Alma Mater Produces the #1 guy.

10. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

The funny part is that Don Banks had this happening over a week ago and some people thought his mock wasn't realistic. I just think it is a crapshoot and guys fall all the time for no reason or rise for no reason.

11. Blake

Blake MMQB

Jason Smith is the flavor of the month. I still think the QB will win out.

12. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Interesting. I think he is a very solid choice, and I am not a fan of Stafford.

I like it, good first pick if true.

13. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

meh im taking it with a grain of salt as its so early... but it is a copycat league and with the success of thomas & clady and to a tad lesser extent Long, taking an impact OT high is the flavour of the month in the nfl

plus they'll prob still be able to pick either sanchez or freeman at 20 or 33

14. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

If Detroit trades for Cutler its much more likely that they package their # 20 overall pick along with some other picks/players. Denver would not want the number 1 overall, especially in this draft. The draft is weak at the top and nobody wants to spend # 1 overall money this year. Denver would much rather take a package of picks and spend roughly the same amount on several rookies.

But imagine Cutler throwing to Calvin Johnson now that they've got a good LT protecting his blind side... Detroit would definately be on the fast track rebuilding imo. Franchise LT and QB covered in the same year (the two most important positions on offense) to go with the stud WR they already had and their solid young RB would give them the pieces for a formidable offense next season.

15. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I've had Jason Smith going #1 in my mocks since before the combine.

I just don't see Stafford as a franchise QB and if the Lions don't take him then that essentially means they think the same thing.

Not all teams see the players the same way. There is no sense in taking Stafford #1 just because he is a QB. You only do it if you think he is a franchise guy.

If you don't think that, you go to the best guy, who I think is Jason Smith.

16. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

This would be a good move for the Lions. I have Stafford 11th on my big board, based mostly on physical talent and potential. Taking him #1 would be a mistake.

I'm not sure that Smith is the LT I would go with though. I have him and Monroe rated very close together, with Smith being more NFL ready now, and Monroe having more potential. I could see them going either way, but since they're not going to be winning any time in the near future they might lean towards Monroe and his higher peak.

17. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Damnit, this reminds me of how much I hate the fact that the top team announces it's pick 4 days or so before the thing actually starts.

18. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

That is the opposite of what I have seen in many places.

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I still think Detroit should go with LT and then trade up with a certain team to get the #15 selection for a QB. I got plans for #20 and additional picks.

20. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Why does everyone consider Jason Smith the best LT in this class? Is it because all the internet sites have him above the others? I'm only asking because I'd love to hear people's views on him and the other LTs. I think LT could be a great way for Detroit to go, but which one?

From what I gather, Smith is a good pass blocker. Is he the best of the bunch? After all pass blocking IS the most important part of that position, so it makes sense.

What was he asked to do at Baylor? I watched zero games. Is their offense kind of a spread offense? How will this translate to the pros? What about his run blocking? I think a #1 pick should be a pretty well rounded kind of guy. Like Mario- great at pass rushing and run stopping. Rare for a #1 DE to be strictly a pass rusher.

I'd really like to know because I feel like everyone is just assuming he's the #1 LT. But more importantly, is we have to look at Detroit's offense and what they do. Would he be a good fit in that offense? You gotta look at who the top LT would be on Detroit's draft board.