Lions/Cardinals to swap picks?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by TEXANS84, Feb 26, 2007.

1. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

http://lions.aolsportsblog.com/2007/02/22/lions-cardinals-talking-joe-thomas-trade

I still think Joe Thomas would have gone second anyways.

2. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Wow! That doesn't sound too good for the Cards giving up their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd just to get Thomas, but I guess they're desperate.

3. brewhaus

brewhaus All Pro

I know the Cards are committed to protecting Leinart, but I think giving up their first 3 picks would be going a little overboard. If memory serves me correctly, they have more needs than their O-Line. I think they probably need those other picks worse than they need Joe Thomas.

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

And the Lions take whom? Adams? Quinn?

5. joedinkle

joedinkle Veteran

Cards are gonna do what we wouldn't, protect their franchise QB. Let's see how this plays out.

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

No it doesn't which gives an illustration of why John Lopez' assertion that the Texans should move up to get Peterson is a bad idea. Unless the Texans fleece Cleveland Peterson effectively becomes the entire draft unless they strike Colston gold in the 6th or 7th.

7. slamdunc

slamdunc Rookie

With their starting RB on the shelf for possibly 10 games, they may go Peterson...they might take him at #2 for that matter

8. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

i think they stay there and go levi brown or D-line

9. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

if the price is a 2 and 3 then you mortage your whole first day--i'd take my chances getting okoye or trading down and grabbing brown. as much as i'd want peterson, that is just too high of a price, especially for a team that screams for an overall depth upgrade first and foremost.

10. freedoggy77

freedoggy77 Veteran

if the cards actually do this then they would be QUITE stupid. dont give up almost ur whole first day for one player! if u want an OT take Levi Brown! or better yet, leave him for us.

11. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Which was an explanation the Texans used about unloading their #1 last year - nobody wanted to pay the going rate according to the Value Chart.
    I say NP, just ignore the stinkin' chart and compromise.
    But since Leinert is a lefty, does Thomas play the side that's foreign to him to protect Leinert's butt ? And is the weakside without the TE on the right or
    left ? Things are different with a lefty at QB.

12. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Leinert is a lefty.... So shouldnt they be investing in a blind side tackle? Which would be a RT and not a LT.

Kaiser Toro likes this.
  13. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Now I see your post. Good point, lol.

14. Navy_Chris

Navy_Chris All Pro

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

they don't have to give up their second & third... They may give them next years first, and some scrub off their bench.

But after seeing the offensive line problem they are having, I can't imagine why no one speculates how badly they need Reggie Bush... I mean Adrian Peterson the way the media tried to force feed us Reggie.

Even at the 5 spot, they all have Arizona passing on Reggie... I mean AD, and have him falling to us.

And before anyone says they have Edgerin James, he avg'd 3.4 yards per carry, he had 0 runs over 20 yards, his longest run of the season was for 18 yards, he only had 6 TDs, & he only ran for 1,188 yards in 16 full games.

IF it made the most sense for us to take Reggie Bush at #1 overall in '06, then there is no way any mock draft should have Adrian Peterson falling past Oakland, Detroit, Cleveland, Tampa Bay or Arizona.

Even with a QB like Aaron Brooks..... a mock with Jamarcus Russell going #1 overall...

this is just preposterous.

16. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

because people are smart enough to figure out that the reason james couldn't run is because of the line, not because of james.

17. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

I guess Milford Brown was'nt the answer, huh?....:rolleyes:

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

But our problem was our runningback, and not our line...... gotcha.

and... our problem is our line, and not our QB... makes perfect sense.

19. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

different players, different teams, different years, different hypes...

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Same situation.

I still believe the media was trying to bully us into drafting Reggie Bush, when he had absolutely nothing you'd like to see in a #1 overall running back. Adrian Peterson is much closer to a #1 overall than Reggie was, Ronnie Brown was much closer to a #1 overall than Reggie was.. both of them were/are overlooked for QBs. ONe of which was a system guy, and the other a big armed prospect.

Oakland is going to do the smart thing, and not pick up the option on the QB who has done nothing to earn the spot, or the money. Never mind that he had no chance in hell to do a dang thang.

& Detroit is going to pass on them, because they already have a top 10 rushing game, and a ProBowl running back.

No wait a minute, they were dead last in rushing offense, and their leading rusher didn't break 700 yards in 12 games.

But they don't need a better running back prospect than the once in a lifetime Reggie Bush.

Cleveland?? 31 in rushing, just ahead of Detroit. they have a nice young QB who could use a little help, especially when their top rusher is without a doubt a product of a system.

Tampa Bay.... 28th in rushing, and their starter has been knicked up both years in the league. They don't need a running back.

And then we have Arizona.... 30th in the league in rushing, right above Cleveland & Detroit. But they don't need a running back.

Where was the Houston Texans in rushing for the 2005 season?? 15th. But they desperately needed a running back to help David Carr. Why in the heck is that??

Where was Arizona in rushing in 2005?? would you believe they were dead last?? Cleveland was 25, and Detroit was 26th...

Houston was 15th in rushing in 2005, and you try to force feed us a running back, Houston is 21st in rushing in 2006, you try to force feed us a running back, even though in both years, Houston had a better running game than Detroit, Cleveland, Tampa Bay, & Arizona.

better than Oakland as well, who was 29th in 2005, and 29th in 2006.