Levi Brown vs. Texans D-Line

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by beerlover, Aug 15, 2007.

1. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I know its only pre-season but this is a dream match-up for me to watch :) Levi will start @ RT (starter Oliver Ross is injured) so he will get considerable game time experience & it will be fun to watch him protect Matt Leinart against the Texans pass rush. it would really be interesting to see Mario Williams vs. Levi Brown head to head match-up but since Mario plays RDE it seems remote.

A key area the Texans need to address in this game will be improving the pass rush. The rookie (Levi Brown) should be in for a long day of learning welcoming him into the NFL- baptism by fire :hothboy:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0815cardsnb0815.html

2. jdog

jdog All Pro

I hope we can get good pressure against the Cardinals. Their offensive line gets almost as much criticism as ours.

By the way, I still love the Bears not getting a sack on Schaub.

3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

It was nice that he didn't get sacked, but he only attempted 5 passes and at least a few of those were quick releases.

It was have been almost impossible for him to get sacked

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Arizona's coach thought that Brown did well with his run blocking, but had lot's of work on his pass blocking/protection. I always thought that Brown had that same balance coming into the NFL, making him more a RT candidate. With any semblance of a rush from the left, especially with stunting, this rookie will get turned around. I'm sure that the LB's and secondary will hug the left just a little more to try to shut down the strong side run.

5. real

real Guest

I'm not that high on Levi...I think 5 was waaaay to early to take him...Maybe around 15 or so would have been good...

No doubt he's a good man run blocker but, IMHO, that's just about all he's good at...

6. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Out of his 5 passes, one was a bootleg, one was a 3 step drop, and there were at least 2 5 step drops. I think that last one was a 5 step drop as well but I couldn't tell from the tape because they didn't show his full drop. On the one that Walters dropped, it was a 5 step drop but he took another couple of baby steps to dodge the rush.

This stuff about all we do is throw 3 step drop passes because our protection is so bad is starting to be a pet peeve of mine. Most of our passes are 5 step drops.

7. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Sure would be sweet if we could get the all-22 viewpoint instead of the sucky network feed.

8. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

the risk reward is almost as great for Offensive Tackles as it is for QB's you never know for sure, you project the best you can & hope your system works to his strengths.

if Levi was available @ 10 I would have taken him over Okoye, he can play the left or the right side it just so happens Matt Leinart is lefthanded. while some suggest this plays into his strength I just don't see it after being Joe Pa's starting LT @ Penn State four years. for his size & bulk hes developed nimble feet & better technique than you might expect, hence the projection & the fact these big guys are rare & hard to aquire.

9. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

That isn't really correct...there were a couple of plays (at least one for sure) where Carr probably takes a sack...especially the one to Walter that he dropped.

10. Vinny

what's your obsession with the Penn St T? He is in your avatar and you seem kinda obsessed with him....right now he is just a rookie who has yet to prove anything....come clean, he's your brother in law right?

11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I agree. Carr would've been curled up like a little pill bug by the time the DB touched him.:wild:

Let's face it. Teams are going to bring the house on us until we burn them. It's our history, stack the box because they can't beat us through the air. I pray that times will change this season.:texflag:

12. real

real Guest

They will...As soon as they blitz and leave A.J 1 on 1 and he takes a 5 yard slant 75 yards for a score...

13. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Brown would have been worthless in Houston. He's a big monster, made for Whisenhunt's power run, but would have been useless in the ZBS.

14. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

:drool:

15. JohnsonFan

JohnsonFan All Pro

i think our o-line had definitly imroved over the last couple years, still is not the best it can be but it good now, i mean with bears D schaub not sacked! thats a first!

16. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Well vinny one thing is for sure they take LB at ten he would of been the best player on the roster.

17. real

real Guest

LMAO!!! BWWWAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA

Signed,

Andre Johnson

18. Vinny

I don't understand this...what does this have to do with Beerlover's obsession with Levi Brown? I mean...that's Levi Brown in his avatar...just wondering what the deal is since he has been non stop Levi Brown pimping since way before the draft.

19. JohnsonFan

JohnsonFan All Pro

mabey its a weird obsession that he just cant get rid of?

20. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I think a lot of people must be underestimating Brown ? I know I was, because I really thought that Joe Staley was a better prospect than Brown as a LT. And of course Brown is in effect the LT in AZ because as
    the teams RT he will be the one responsible for lefty Leinerts backside.
    But I was stunned to see hin go #5 overall, but the new AZ HC was a longtime OC for the Steelers so gotta assume he knows offensive personnel. Beerlover hyped him early but to his credit he defintely saw the talent that a lot of us didn't. #5 overall is definitely testimony to that fact.