Level of Concern

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by m5kwatts, Aug 23, 2009.

?

What is your level of concern?

1. Extremely concerned - nothing looks promising

11 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Very concerned - improvement a must but not disheartened

42 vote(s)
    26.9%
  3. Kinda - its preseason but still I want to see us competitive

74 vote(s)
    47.4%
  4. Not really - its preseason. end of story.

29 vote(s)
    18.6%
  1. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Be reasonable

2. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Very. Our first string defense got rolled.

3. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I hit the "Very concerned" button.....If we don't improve next week, go ahead and bump me up to "Extremely concerned". If we get raped in the running game like we did tonight, I'll start to question the coaching change that we made.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  4. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I gotta say, as concerning as the run defense is right now, the fact that that Saints defense actually made some plays against our O and made some key stops was equally disturbing. Schaub & 1st team had a good drive but from then on the offense was far from clean and was basically a huge let down considering the talent they were facing. There was yards and points left out there to say the least.

5. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

That wasn't as alarming to me, they hired Greg Williams (a guy I wanted Houston to take a look at, not just trusting someone already on our inept staff), he's a good defensive coach and they should be pretty damn good as a team this season. I actually expected NOLA to be pretty tough on D.

6. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I really hope you're right cause that Saints D couldn't stop a thing last year

7. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

That changed alot over that year, Mainly with their D coord, the draft/FA pickups, and Jonathan Vilma the year before. They actually have some quality players now. Greg Williams got a bad rap in Jacksonville, he's a good proven coach. I'm still holding out hope for Bush, but so far, I'm seeing much of the same.

8. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Veteran

Not worried at all. This time last year it didn't look like we would have anything resembling a running game, our O-line couldn't open up anything, kind of like how it looks now. Every year you'll see this after these exhibition games whether it be summer league in the nba or pre-season everyone always overreacts, and I've seen it too many times to fall for it again.

b0ng likes this.

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I'm voting not really. Not just because it's the preseason, but because the N.O. Saints had the #1 offense last year. Our opponents this season don't.

Of course i would have liked to have seen something better than what we saw tonight..... but whatever.

10. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

There's only a couple of problems...

Last year you "expected" a running game with Green going down once again, but you got one with Slaton, and our Oline.

This year, you expected a running game, but aren't getting one. (as well, you aren't stopping the run either, go figure...we'll see how that works out)

This isn't the NBA summer league either (kind of a weak comparison) Nobody really gives a crap about that (NBA summer league), because that's a bad comparison......how many NBA starters play during "summer league"? It doesn't happen.....Summer league is like the NFL practice squad. The whole entire Summer League can be summarized into the 4th and final preseason game..and even then I don't know if it matters as much. So the last thing you should be comparing preseason football to is summer league basketball.

11. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Veteran

Which proves my point. They were wrong about our running game then just like they're probably wrong about our defense now. And let's not get ahead of ourselves, it was one preseason game that we didn't stop the run. One game in which our starters played a little over a quarter.
    Regardless of what you think they are similar in that they are used mainly to evaluate rookies and bubble players trying to get a roster spot(including high draft picks who will be starting for their teams), I definitely wouldn't compare it to an nfl practice squad.

12. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I voted "very concerned". :brickwall:

13. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

I voted NOT REALLY! It's preseason, and most of those players that played like Jr High kids, won't be around in a couple of weeks. PLUS, no reason for the guys to put out 100% in a meaningless game, esp the first string. I sure as hell don't want to see anyone HURT!!!

Put this poll back up after the Jets game! Our boys fail to show some HEART, and play like puzzy's, THEN I'll be concerned!

14. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

voted very concerned - run defense has me worried the most.

15. DavidC

DavidC Rookie

I voted Kinda Concerned. It is preseason, and I am sure that they will become much more intense once the season starts, but I would have liked to see them stop the run a little better last night.

16. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

I am not particularly concerned. The Texans were competitive with their first team guys on the field. Matters did not get out of hand until later in the game.

Texan's players have been hearing themselves touted as a playoff caliber football team all summer. This is a perfect time to take a loss like this, if you are going to. The coaches will use this performance to light a fire under their butts, and to emphasize that all the preseason prognosticating means exactly zero.

This team has never had a winning season, and they will not have one this year either if they cannot consistently play better than they did last night. If the Texans are going to earn a playoff spot this year, they are going to have to win it on the football field on Sundays against other NFL teams with the same hopes and expectations as the Texans. There is no other way.

Kubiak and company will realize this loss as a "teachable moment," and I expect they will make the most of it.

17. HTown2ATX

HTown2ATX TexansMetalhead

I'm walking a razor thin line between Very and Extremely. I posted in the gameday thread that I saw the loss last night coming since we did not smash KC into dust like we should have. The response that I got was that I was looking at that wrong b/c the Vikings barely beat KC and the Vikes are SB contenders.....says who??? ESPN? Anyone REALLY think that Favre will just magically take them to the SB??? Maybe I will have to eat my words on that, but for right now, we still should have CRUSHED a weakling team like KC and the fact that the Vikes barely beat them indicating that the KC win was quality for us is rubbish in my mind because we know that KC did not make some major jump to playoff status. So the Viking game indicates that they are either A)- not as good as we think or B)- Favre is just getting used to the system or C)-every dog has his day and KC played well. Anyway you slice it we should have smashed KC and at least competed with with NO. It's the same lame-ass song and dance that I have seen for too many years out of this team. Win one week, just show up and suck b@ll$ the next week. Pure crap and I was very dissapointed last night. Please don't tell me about how NO has the No 1 scoring offense.....b/c that's true but we did not even COMPETE!!!! G-D I am getting tired of this!! So put me down for very and if they play like this next week raise me up a notch! Run D got raped, pass D got smoked, LB's were pretty much silent.....offense moved backwards.....total crap accept for that 1st drive.

:bat:

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

New def coordinator

Same crappy defense

Sick of seeing the same bad product for 7 years.

19. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Ditto.

20. Houston_Fanatic

Houston_Fanatic Veteran

I voted very because of the tissue-paper run defense by our 1's.

I realize this is pre-season practice, but we don't have much time to fix this before it counts. I am tired of us always starting out so slow every year and digging ourselves a hole we can't get out of.

We are very similar to NO with a high-powered offense and a weak defense (last year) but they seem to have made bigger strides with their defense than we have with ours. Looks like Sean giving up part of his salary to get the def. coordinator he wanted is paying off. They had us stopped on our first drive if it wasn't for their stupid penalty and they did a good job containing our running game.