Let's say that you're Charley Casserly . . .

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Marcus, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

. . . and you are going to stick to your promise that you're going to take the BPA on your board.

San Diego has made it's pick at #12, and now you're on the clock. You look up at your big board, and you see that Pac-Man Jones is the highest rated player left on your board.

What do you do?

2. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

I would imagine Casserly is busy moving all the corners down 15 slots on the board right about now.

3. Marcus

What would I do?

I would go ahead and take Pac-Man and kiss Aaron Glenn good-bye on June 1st.

Let's see now. What was Sharper's ....errr, I mean Glenn's cap hit for this year?

4. Davis37

Davis37 All Pro

I seriously doubt they will cut Glenn... I think they will keep him for at least one more year so he can teach DROB and PB more.

5. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Trade to pickup more picks

6. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

Well it depend on if Merriman, Ware or Spears are on the board, if they aren't I'd trade down.

This may be a little of point but does anyone else think that Casserly wears a wig?

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Glenn's cap hit of $5.12 mil this season. If cut now he would count about $3.5 mil in dead space. IMO it is unlikely they cut Glenn prior to this season because the cap savings is not significant and while the Texans feel Buchanon still has the potential to justify his original draft position, they are likely to want to see him pick up the system and new attitude before sticking him in as a starter.

8. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

Trade down and pick up Matt Jones or David Baas late in the first and think about who I want with the extra 2nd or 3rd I pick up.

9. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Give Dick Vermeil a call (assuming he hasn't acquired Patrick Surtain yet).

10. wags

wags Hall of Fame

Take the next highest rated player.

11. ubecool454

ubecool454 Hall of Fame

There is not need for pac-man now with the Texans just signing Phillip Buchanon from the Raiders.

12. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

aaron glenn will be the first real texan to retire as a texan...boselli doesn't count in my book...we will only pick at the 13th pick if benson, merriman, or williamson is still there otherwise i see us trading down for clayton or pollack

13. z0rpAn

z0rpAn Veteran

draft the best possible WR for depth and future use

14. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

I hope the Texans don't stay at 13 to pick Williamson. I haven't watched much of him, but my impression is that he's a speedster, but has questionable hands. They resigned Bradford who is the Texans legitimate deep threat with so-so hands. Do they need someone else like that?

Anyone know more about Williamson?

15. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I know he's fast, but so is Carl Lewis.

16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I also believe this has a very good chance of happening. Glenn is from this area, he's had his big last contract and he's made it most of the way through that contract. He's getting up in years and he seems like a very smart and reasonable player. He's an original Texan from the expansion draft and I think he's going to sign another deal after this one to be a backup for a short time before probably heading for retirement.

I would not be surprised to see Glenn associated with the Texans after that in some capacity as well.

And Marcus, If I were Casserly I'd have to pass on Pac Man and go for the next best guy on the board. I just don't need him now.

17. MojoX

MojoX Veteran

The philosophy since Carr has been "BPA except QB" now it would be "BPA except QB & CB." I would trade down or draft the next talent, depending on who else is available.

18. Algebrat

Algebrat Rookie

If Pac-man is still on the board at 13, there will be some strong interest from teams wanting to trade up and take him. The Texans could accept a trade, move down a handfull of spots, pick up an additional pick in the 2nd or 3rd (depending on how far down they move), and select a quality player suck as Clayton or T. Davis.

The more I hear/read about Davis, the more he grabs my attention. Wong's in his last year (and makes a ton), grooming a replacement can't hurt.

19. Marcus

Well, it looks like a lot of people are going to wig out if CC drafts another CB.

Considering that we're in a division that plays Indianpolis twice a year, and we haven't won a game against them yet, you can't have too many cornerbacks.

And . . . would you put it past Charley to want certain people to believe that he's no longer interested in drafting one?

20. Blake

Blake MMQB

I think I recall Vinny saying Williamson won the WR compitition handily. I think he said he tore it up actually. So I think the questionable hands is a myth.

Here it is.