Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Let the Mocks Begin....

As a guy who likes Goff, man it will hurt to watch him go to the QB graveyard that is Cleveland. All that potential will be wasted by the factory of sadness.

Hopefully someone would trade up and relieve him of that nightmare scenario... I hate the way this draft falls. Elliot going to Indy would be a nightmare for us

Hopefully someone would trade up and relieve him of that nightmare scenario... I hate the way this draft falls. Elliot going to Indy would be a nightmare for us

I would shed tears of frustration and anger if that happened.

Reactions: JB

If they don't improve their line, Elliot would only mildly help that team.

Any of yall believe this in us taking Wentz? I see an overdraft of Christian Hackenburg here or a trade down to the end of the first and draft Hackenburg there.

Yall think I'm a fool or you think Wentz is likely or do you think something different altogether?

Side Note: Anyone see Hackenburg's farewell speech to Penn? Thanked everyone basically starting with "coach" Bill O Brien, but failed to once mention or thank the current coach James Franklin.

I don't know about Wentz. If they like him, I'm sure they'll take him. We need QB depth even if for some reason OB wants to continue Hoyer as the starter, so I would expect us to draft a QB in the first 3 rounds.

I'd love to grab Wentz. Would make my draft.

I'd likewise hate to see the AFCS add Tunsil, Ramsey, and Elliott.

I like Wentz probably 2nd best behind Goff, but i don't think he's ready to play yet. I think he needs a year on the bench & that's just not what you want out of a 1st rounder. i'd go with Elliott if he's there then come back in the 2nd or possibly trade back up into the 1st & try to snag Wentz. If not then it's Hackenberg, Coker in 2nd/3rd...I think 1 of those guys will be there in 1 of those rounds.

I think Hackenberg is going to be a riser after the combine. He's got very good measurables with size and build and has very strong arm strength. He's quite inaccurate under pressure, but with a T-shirt and shorts I think he can show out.

I think the biggest advantage of taking a QB late in the first is you get that extra year of hitting a VERY expensive position with a tag.

I don't think Hackenberg is 1st round material, nor do I necessarily want him, I just fear this is a likely scenario. I can be very wrong about this whole thing though.

Why not, tis the season of the mock (Texian)

1. Tennessee = Joey Bosa
2. Cleveland = Jared Goff
3. San Diego = Laremy Tunsil
4. Dallas = Robert Nkemdiche
5. Jacksonville = Jalen Ramsey

Why not, tis the season of the mock (Texian)

1. Tennessee = Joey Bosa
4. Dallas = Robert Nkemdiche

***REVISED***
1. Tennessee = Joey Bosa
4. Dallas = Carson Wentz

***REVISED***
1. Tennessee = Joey Bosa
4. Dallas = Carson Wentz

You think Wentz can go top 5 with limited 2015 work and playing FCS? I'm not saying you're wrong. I've seen what you do and have stood up for you on other message boards when you've said things like this, but just wanted to get some more of why you think this is possible.

You think Wentz can go top 5 with limited 2015 work and playing FCS? I'm not saying you're wrong. I've seen what you do and have stood up for you on other message boards when you've said things like this, but just wanted to get some more of why you think this is possible.

Let me start with Mike Mayock was saying just this weekend that that Carson Wentz is in the discussion to be the first QB taken in the draft.

As for my opinion, Wentz is prototypical in size, 6'6" 232 lbs.; is a 5 year player; in a pro set system; won 2 Natl Championships; good athlete; has a BIG arm and makes all the NFL throws; has been well coached in the NDSU pro style system that has won 5 straight Natl Championships; smart, assist in preparing weekly game plans; shows strong command and leadership; on multiple occasions has shown abilities to lead team in 4th quarter comebacks and GAME WINNING DRIVES (3x times in 14 playoffs); excellent footwork; runs extremely well; sees the field well; goes through a progressions; makes line calls and can audible; good pocket presence, avoids pressure well, climbs the pocket, extends plays. I've watched a dozen games and have based my opinions off those performances. As for playing in FCS, I think NDSU could beat the Texas Longhorns. When you watch Wentz make those tight window passes, back shoulder passes, touch on the long ball, drop it in the end zone corner, you can tell that his arm not only works in the FCS but FBS and will in NFL as well.

Biggest Weakness from my point of view, puts the ball on the ground more than he should which often is a result of trying to do to much and trying to make something happen.

I'd love to grab Wentz. Would make my draft.

I'd likewise hate to see the AFCS add Tunsil, Ramsey, and Elliott.
They have the Rams taking Connor Cook at 15 and Wentz falling to the Texans. Given the way the draft grading is currently going, Cook is the one more likely to fall into the Texans lap. Some people now have Cook going in the second or third round although that talk is silly to me. He's still a late first rounder. But I love the fact his stock has fallen so much we now have a realistic chance to draft him at 22.

Let me start with Mike Mayock was saying just this weekend that that Carson Wentz is in the discussion to be the first QB taken in the draft.

As for my opinion, Wentz is prototypical in size, 6'6" 232 lbs.; is a 5 year player; in a pro set system; won 2 Natl Championships; good athlete; has a BIG arm and makes all the NFL throws; has been well coached in the NDSU pro style system that has won 5 straight Natl Championships; smart, assist in preparing weekly game plans; shows strong command and leadership; on multiple occasions has shown abilities to lead team in 4th quarter comebacks and GAME WINNING DRIVES (3x times in 14 playoffs); excellent footwork; runs extremely well; sees the field well; goes through a progressions; makes line calls and can audible; good pocket presence, avoids pressure well, climbs the pocket, extends plays. I've watched a dozen games and have based my opinions off those performances. As for playing in FCS, I think NDSU could beat the Texas Longhorns. When you watch Wentz make those tight window passes, back shoulder passes, touch on the long ball, drop it in the end zone corner, you can tell that his arm not only works in the FCS but FBS and will in NFL as well.

Biggest Weakness from my point of view, puts the ball on the ground more than he should which often is a result of trying to do to much and trying to make something happen.

If Wentz falls to 10 I'm trading up for him.

Hack will most likely be the pick at 22 if there. I get why draftniks dont like him. But I'm on board if he's the pick based on his potential and the fact that BOB is willing to risk his job on the Hack pick. If they wait until 22 to pick a QB then regardless of Who's picked there will be alot of risk involved with the pick. Hack/Cook/Coker etc...

I've got no problem with BOB taking the risk. What I will have a problem with is if BOB/Rick doesn't take their shot.

They have the Rams taking Connor Cook at 15 and Wentz falling to the Texans. Given the way the draft grading is currently going, Cook is the one more likely to fall into the Texans lap. Some people now have Cook going in the second or third round although that talk is silly to me. He's still a late first rounder. But I love the fact his stock has fallen so much we now have a realistic chance to draft him at 22.

I had Cook as my #1 QB going into this season, and at the time would have loved for him to be in a Texans uniform. However his numbers have not improved he is still a sub 60% completion passer. He played poorly in his teams biggest games this year, also for a multi year starting senior QB to not be elected a team captain by his teammates it makes me wonder why.

Not that turning down the senior bowl is usually a big deal, but this couldve been an oppurtunity for him to stabilize his draft stock, and keep it high instead he turned away from the competition. Which either makes me think his shoulder injury is still effecting him and was more serious than we were lead to believe, or he doesnt have the confidence in his own skill set

Biggest weakness I've seen is when he tries to put some air under the ball either deep or out near the sideline. Something with his motion changes and the ball seems to drift on him. Almost like he's overthinking that kind of throw and guiding it instead of just trusting his regular motion to toss it into a spot. He got bit on one of these in the title game this weekend. Totally workable and doesn't have to be any long-term issue, just something to keep an eye on.

Good information and I hear what you're saying.

Not sure he goes through progressions as fast as people are making him out to do though. If he's got a clean pocket, sure, he can slowly move through, but I didn't see it anyways. 1 read and run. Reminds me a lot of Mariota who I didn't like for the same reasons.

I honestly feel like he's a better Alabama QB. Plays on a dominant team for his conference and thrives. I'm not sure his touch and long passes are that all world either.

I know it sounds like I hate him, but I just see another Draftnik favorite forming that is definitely pretty good, while everyone hypes up to be all world, when he's simply not.

I'd accept the pick and enjoy the ride, not sure if I'd move up for him though, We need to use our 2nd and 3rd picks to draft the next DJ Swearinger and Louis Nix to complete this team...

His new Draft Breakdown video is available from Jack St BTW: http://draftbreakdown.com/video/carson-wentz-vs-jacksonville-state-2015/

Last edited:
Good information and I hear what you're saying.

Not sure he goes through progressions as fast as people are making him out to do though. If he's got a clean pocket, sure, he can slowly move through, but I didn't see it anyways. 1 read and run. Reminds me a lot of Mariota who I didn't like for the same reasons.

I honestly feel like he's a better Alabama QB. Plays on a dominant team for his conference and thrives. I'm not sure his touch and long passes are that all world either.

I know it sounds like I hate him, but I just see another Draftnik favorite forming that is definitely pretty good, while everyone hypes up to be all world, when he's simply not.

I'd accept the pick and enjoy the ride, not sure if I'd move up for him though, We need to use our 2nd and 3rd picks to draft the next DJ Swearinger and Louis Nix to complete this team...

His new Draft Breakdown video is available from Jack St BTW: http://draftbreakdown.com/video/carson-wentz-vs-jacksonville-state-2015/
I'll just say he climbs the pocket better than any QB I've seen in this draft, certainly has done it more than any other QB in this draft. This is contrary to read and run. Paxon Lynch is a read and run guy.

Last edited:
I can guarantee not everyone will be happy about whichever QB the Texans pick. Instead of arguing that the Texans didn't take a QB, we're going to push for him to be rushed into games, thrown to the wolves & argue about picking the wrong guy.

Have we talked about NFL.com's 4 round mock from January 29th?

Texans take:

1. Ezekial Elliot RB Ohio State
2. Jacoby Brissett QB NC State
3. Nick Martin C Notre Dame
4. Tech Roberto K Florda Sate

Texans take:

I could live with most of that. Elliott is a stud and I like Brissett more than Cook or Coker. Martin is in the running for top Center prospect in the draft.

Not drafting a Kicker in the 4th round though.

Texans take:

I woukd like that draft. Brisset is being over looked. Elliot is be being over rates but still a very good back and Martin is going to be a solid player for a long time.

I don't dislike Brissett but he seems to be a little overrated on this board, probably because we're so desperate.

He's got good size, a good arm, and good athleticism. But his accuracy is straight up bad and he is excessively conservative with the ball. And while his stats look nice and efficient, they are boosted against the weak teams NC St plays out of conference. His conference numbers aren't that pretty, except for his ability to limit turnovers.

His completed 78% of his passes this year as his team went 4-0 against Troy, Eastern Kentucky, Old Dominion, and South Alabama. Once conference play started, he completed only 54% for the rest of the year as his team went 3-6. And in only 1 of those 9 games did he even complete 59%.

He also has numerous awful games on tape:

2015 games against Louisville, Virginia Tech, and Mississippi St. 2014 games against Clemson, Boston College, and Georgia Tech. And his bad is not just bad. It is terrible. In those six games he doesn't look anything close to a future NFL QB. In fact, he doesn't even look like a college QB in those games. And that's his JR and SR years.

And on the flip side, he has only really had one truly great performance, 2014 against Florida St. He has some nice games but not where you see anything special. The majority of his tape ranges from average to decent. If I'm looking at drafting a QB early (first few rounds) I need to at least see some flash of his potential to sway me, especially in the face of the numerous terrible performances he's had. And I just don't see it.

Brissett has 26 starts under his belt. We immediately have to discard about 6 of those due to the way NC St schedules out of conference. In those games he is literally not asked to do anything other than don't fumble the snap. In the remaining 20 games, he looks like a future NFL pro in maybe 4 of them. That's not good.

Like I said, I see tools. He does have a physical skill set you can work with. He's draftable for sure. But we're talking about a late round project here. This kid is going to be in so far over his head at the start that he'll get absolutely killed if you expect him to play anytime soon.

My post comes off as harsh and I don't mean to kill the kid. I do think he has a very small chance to be successful, but with his skill set his potential would be special if he could reach it.

But realistic expectations need to be set here. We do this every single year with every single QB draft class.

I don't like Brissett either. I've seen him play a lot. He'll go significant periods throughout a game in which he doesn't look like he should be throwing the ball at all, other times he's throwing some nice timing routes. Wouldn't touch him until way later.

I don't dislike Brissett but he seems to be a little overrated on this board, probably because we're so desperate.

He's got good size, a good arm, and good athleticism. But his accuracy is straight up bad and he is excessively conservative with the ball. And while his stats look nice and efficient, they are boosted against the weak teams NC St plays out of conference. His conference numbers aren't that pretty, except for his ability to limit turnovers.

His completed 78% of his passes this year as his team went 4-0 against Troy, Eastern Kentucky, Old Dominion, and South Alabama. Once conference play started, he completed only 54% for the rest of the year as his team went 3-6. And in only 1 of those 9 games did he even complete 59%.

He also has numerous awful games on tape:

2015 games against Louisville, Virginia Tech, and Mississippi St. 2014 games against Clemson, Boston College, and Georgia Tech. And his bad is not just bad. It is terrible. In those six games he doesn't look anything close to a future NFL QB. In fact, he doesn't even look like a college QB in those games. And that's his JR and SR years.

And on the flip side, he has only really had one truly great performance, 2014 against Florida St. He has some nice games but not where you see anything special. The majority of his tape ranges from average to decent. If I'm looking at drafting a QB early (first few rounds) I need to at least see some flash of his potential to sway me, especially in the face of the numerous terrible performances he's had. And I just don't see it.

Brissett has 26 starts under his belt. We immediately have to discard about 6 of those due to the way NC St schedules out of conference. In those games he is literally not asked to do anything other than don't fumble the snap. In the remaining 20 games, he looks like a future NFL pro in maybe 4 of them. That's not good.

Like I said, I see tools. He does have a physical skill set you can work with. He's draftable for sure. But we're talking about a late round project here. This kid is going to be in so far over his head at the start that he'll get absolutely killed if you expect him to play anytime soon.

Over rated on this board? I must of missed something. I haven't seen one other person say anything positive about him. I like him a lot but have never suggested over drafting him. He's a 4th round or later pick IMO and in no way would i draft him or any other QB for that matter in this draft with expectations that he could come in and start.

You dI'd an excellent jOB of naming off his strength's i'll add, excellent pocket awareness with the size strength to keep plays alive and turn potential good plays for the defense into positive plays for the offense. Very rothlesburger like in that way. That is a very rare ability and that combined with his what you called "excessively conservative" approach (a positive) in my opinion

Update on the NFL.com 4-round mock, with us landing ...

1. Vernon Butler, DT, La Tech
2. Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama
3. Jacoby Brissett, QB, NC State
4. Roberto Aguayo, K, FSU

I did one along with the picks in 'real time' and came away with ...

1. A'Shawn Robinson, DL, Alabama
2. Su'a Cravens, LB/S, USC
3. Max Tuerk, C, USC
4. Dak Prescott, QB, MSU

... and I was ok, but far from thrilled, with how it came out. We need more offense but those top two seemed almost unavoidable at the time. And as far as QB goes I'm becoming resigned to either trade the farm up (if that's even possible) or count on another patchwork season. I couldn't pull the trigger on Cook/Hack in the first and that leaves a whole lot of unseperation thereafter. Ugh. I'm not even a big Prescott fan but hoping he's got the coachability to unlock the higher end of his potential. Ugghhh.

Update on the NFL.com 4-round mock, with us landing ...

1. Vernon Butler, DT, La Tech
2. Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama
3. Jacoby Brissett, QB, NC State
4. Roberto Aguayo, K, FSU

I did one along with the picks in 'real time' and came away with ...

1. A'Shawn Robinson, DL, Alabama
2. Su'a Cravens, LB/S, USC
3. Max Tuerk, C, USC
4. Dak Prescott, QB, MSU

... and I was ok, but far from thrilled, with how it came out. We need more offense but those top two seemed almost unavoidable at the time. And as far as QB goes I'm becoming resigned to either trade the farm up (if that's even possible) or count on another patchwork season. I couldn't pull the trigger on Cook/Hack in the first and that leaves a whole lot of unseperation thereafter. Ugh. I'm not even a big Prescott fan but hoping he's got the coachability to unlock the higher end of his potential. Ugghhh.
Robinson might be the most under rated player in this draft. That guy is going to be a stud.

Real Football Network's twitter fan mock
https://realfootballnetwork.com/2016/03/16/1st-ever-rfn-fan-twitter-mock/
The Real Football Network hosted its first ever Fan Mock on Tuesday, March 15th, using the Twitter votes of fans to drive selections for each team....

1. Tennessee: Laremy Tunsil, OT, Mississippi

2. Cleveland: Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State

3. San Diego: Jalen Ramsey, S/CB, Florida State

4. Dallas: Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State

5. Jacksonville: Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA

6. Baltimore: DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon

7. San Francisco: Jared Goff, QB, California

8. Philadelphia: Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State

9. Tampa Bay: Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida

10. NY Giants: Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame

11. Chicago: Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky

12. New Orleans: Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss

13. Miami (from PHI): Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State

14. Oakland: Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State

15. Los Angeles: Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis

16. Detroit: Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson

17. Atlanta: Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State

18. Indianapolis: Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State

19. Buffalo: Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State

20. NY Jets: Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama

21. Washington: A’Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama

22. Houston: Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor

Fox Sport's latest....
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...goff-jalen-ramsey-joey-bosa-myles-jack-032816

1. Tennessee (3-13): Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss, Jr.
2. Cleveland (3-13): Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State, Sr.
3. San Diego (4-12): DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon, Sr.
4. Dallas (4-12): Jared Goff, QB, Cal, Jr.
5. Jacksonville (5-11): Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida St., Jr.
6. Baltimore (5-11): Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio St., Jr.
22. Houston (9-7): Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss, Jr.
The Texans already added Brock Osweiler and Lamar Miller this offseason. Imagine adding Treadwell, too. The best pure receiver in this draft, he's compared to Anquan Boldin -- a tough, strong, smart route-runner. He'd be the perfect complement to DeAndre Hopkins.

Fox Sport's latest....
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...goff-jalen-ramsey-joey-bosa-myles-jack-032816

1. Tennessee (3-13): Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss, Jr.
2. Cleveland (3-13): Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State, Sr.
3. San Diego (4-12): DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon, Sr.
4. Dallas (4-12): Jared Goff, QB, Cal, Jr.
5. Jacksonville (5-11): Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida St., Jr.
6. Baltimore (5-11): Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio St., Jr.

22. Houston (9-7): Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss, Jr.
The Texans already added Brock Osweiler and Lamar Miller this offseason. Imagine adding Treadwell, too. The best pure receiver in this draft, he's compared to Anquan Boldin -- a tough, strong, smart route-runner. He'd be the perfect complement to DeAndre Hopkins.

I would be extremely happy if we got Treadwell. I think he's the best receiver in this draft.

Mock draft 6.0: Cowboys shore up secondary
chad-reuter-HS-12.jpg

By Chad Reuter |

Draft analyst

Published: April 15, 2016 at 02:59 p.m.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/mock-drafts/chad-reuter/305669?campaign=tw-cf-sf24473973-sf24473973

Back