Less than 10 percent of NFL pink merchandise sales go toward cancer research

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by CloakNNNdagger, Oct 16, 2013.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Pretty sick............

link

2. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

I'm all for defeating breast cancer, but pink looks ugly on football uniforms.

3. Fred

Fred All Pro

You can buy actual "game worn" items!!! And exactly why would I (or anyone) want a pair of semi-used pink size 15 football cleats?

4. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Appears the NFL is raising more awareness about breast cancer than money.

5. paycheck71

paycheck71 Hall of Fame

I remember seeing a similar article last season. This is pretty ridiculous, but there doesn't seem to be enough outcry over the hypocrisy, so I doubt anything will change.

6. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

I am reminded of a funny story from a few years back. I was involved in a charity event which among other things, had a "Tuff Enough to Wear Pink" night with proceeds benefiting Breast Cancer research.

The spokesman for our event had a live TV spot to promote it. At one point during the promo he was supposed to say "Breast Cancer Awareness" but he flubbed his lines and said "Breast Awareness". This was all on live local TV. We kid him about it to this day.

7. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I think it is a great cause, without a doubt.

They are risking over-saturation of the message, though. Pink is now becoming normal every year, to the point that the message is being lost in the marketing.

The NFL should start a breast exam program that offers free screenings if they really want to provide a valuable service to women. Maybe they do and I just haven't heard of it. Help people directly by impacting their daily lives sort of thing instead of getting gimmicky and preaching a message. Action over words.

8. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

That's a ton of money folks. After you pay the vendor and all the expenses you give a huge chunk of money to a good charity. I think people like to beat up on the big bad NFL but what's so bad about giving a huge chunk of money and free publicity that would cost MILLIONS to a good cause?

9. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I agree, but on the flip side, the NFL is still turning a profit on cancer.

I'd be more impressed if they gave ALL proceeds to the charity and absorbed the administrative costs.

JMO, though. Not trying to dismiss a good cause.

I just have my reservations about NFL, Inc., as a business entity and their motivations. But I'm cynical like that. Big corporations always have ulterior motives.

10. Vance87

Vance87 Hall of Fame

If the NFL actually gave half a crap about cancer awareness, they would do different types of cancer awareness every month, including ones that affect men, you know, the gender that actually plays the game.

Instead they put all of their effort into breast cancer awareness which is highly profitable and by far the most popular of all the different types of cancer awareness. Is anyone surprised?

11. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

I think they did it primarily to attract more women to the sport.

12. 2012Champs

2012Champs Hall of Fame

I'd like to see better numbers that would show actual profit vs how sales are split. It cost everyone in the chain who is getting money something to get sai money. Not saying the ideal that more should go to charity is wrong

On another somewhat related side note my wife got disgusted when she heard how much some of her former coworkers were making working for Susan g komen raising money for the foundation

13. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I'm failing to see a wrongdoer here.

14. paycheck71

paycheck71 Hall of Fame

I think it's wrong for anyone affiliated with the NFL to turn a profit on this supposedly charitable cause. That's what I think is wrong with it.

15. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

They should donate all the money from the pink merchandise to cancer research. The league makes 2 billion in profits annually they can afford it.

16. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 IDBLDogDareU

Who's running this program? Live strong?

17. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

The most sensible way to solve this would be to set up a program with approved NFL manufacturers and retailers where the NFL waives its licensing fee for the pink gear and the manufacturing and retailing fees are cut back as well. 87.5% of the money from this is going to the retailers and manufacturers. That's where it can be streamlined. Unless I'm misunderstanding it, which is very likely.

18. Vance87

Vance87 Hall of Fame

Why, so more women would tune in which would add to their TV ratings and boost income? So more women would buy tickets to games, increasing profit margins for NFL teams around the country? Ah, well at least they didn't do it for the money...:kitten:

19. 2012Champs

2012Champs Hall of Fame

1. I think this program's primary goal is to raise awareness not money

2. What would y'all think a appropriate % of sales? It cost money to gets these products to market and that bears risk to the business involved

20. Rey

Rey Guest

The costs to manufacture and distribute aside, they also spend money advertising...that's part of getting the message out.

I just don't see people in the nfl actually getting rich off of this. And the merchandise is pretty good quality. So it's not like they are selling flimsy tshirts.

I'm all for being suspicious. Suspicion is good. But without having a true numbers breakdown I can't condemn the nfl for raising awareness and money for cancer research.