Lelie FA

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Dr. Toro, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

Voided the final year of his contract, now a UFA.

Texans: He's a legit deep threat, big target. A "playmaker"... but I don't know what Kubiak thinks about him.

Falcons: Roddy White/Michael Jenkins= horrible WR corps. They could conceivably draft another 1st rd. WR in this deep class. DB is still more likely.

2. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

good find Toro. w/deep WR class in the draft not sure if he will get the kind of money he hopes.

in a draft thin on db's I would prefer hometown CB Nate Clements who was just on sports radio 610 & said he would love to play for the Texans if the :money: is right. note to Kubiak/Smith & Smith make this happen.....please :flowers:

3. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

there it is to all the people sayin he dont got a chance, mcnair pay the man, damn this just made my day better

4. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Lelie isn't an upgrade over any WR on the roster.

5. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

My 2 cents on Clements is this... you can only afford to pay 1 guy #1 CB money, and you only need 1 #1 CB to win. If you think Dunta is a lockdown corner or can be one next year or thereafter, you can't pay Clements. I think a solid veteran or a 2nd rounder like Aaron Ross is a better choice if Dunta can lockdown.

6. Please_Evolve

Please_Evolve Veteran

I'll pass. thanks. I didn't think he was worth the first rounder Denver orginally picked him with. I'm sure they are much happier with Javon Walker.

7. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

So if Peterson is gone... who is the playmaker we add?

8. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Clements would love to play for anyone if the money is right.

9. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Yes that is true. However the argument on this board has been that he is ready to go to a winning team after bad years in Buffalo.

10. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

From what he said on the radio... he's trying to get paid. He certainly thinks highly enough of his abilities to think he can turn a loser into a winner. He's right... shutdown corners go a long way.

11. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

Realistically, he was doing the interview with a Houston based radio station? If im reading this properly...If he was asked if he would like to play for the Texans....would anybody expect him to say something along the lines of " No way....no matter what the money is, I want to play for a winner"...Players say the same thing all the time...IF we have enough $$$ to make a push....then he may come here....but I dont read anything about a "hometown discount"....he wants his $$$, it all spends the same no matter who gives it to you

12. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

DRob isnt getting paid #1 money; he's getting paid #10 overall pick money for 3-4 more years. (13th highest on our team). We could swing the both of them....I hope. Clements will be around the 10 year mark in 3-4 years; right about time to let him go. :twocents:

13. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

What I'm saying is... if Dunta can be a shutdown corner... you don't need Clements... you just need a good #2 corner.

14. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Dunta is not a shutdown corner. what he could be is a spectacular FS if the Texans had a legit shutdown corner better in man to man coverage, like Clements. Dunta is a defensive playmaker. Nate Clements is one of the best cover corners in the league & WHO DOES'NT need one :aikido:

15. Please_Evolve

Please_Evolve Veteran

On Offense? Honestly I don't want ONE playmaker. I'd prefer a balanced offense that keeps you off guard and the sceme is more of a concern then just one person. Whether it's Dayne pounding the ball up the middle or Taylor on a pitch outside, Daniel Owens exposing the seams, and outside Johnson and Moulds(I still think there's a lot left in that tank.) and whomever(seriously I don't care) is the Qb being able to make solid decisions in the passing game. I will say this though There's a Reason why a guy like Sage didn't make it in Washington and Miami. Guy looks like a solid backup or Trent Dilfer type of QB at best. I like Peterson and if he falls to us and we take him I won't complain.

I like others just think that there's a lot more holes to fill then at running back and i think our defense is a FS and linebacker away from being one of the better defenses in the league. I like the addition of Frank Bush to the coaching Staff and i predict great things from Demeco next year.

Towards the end of the Year our running game picked up steam and i think Winston looked solid and was getting it and i can only lament what a Healthy Charles Spencer would've looked like out there. Am i saying Ron Dayne is the guy next year? I don't know. I think getting sustained carries later in the year game him time to develop a rhythm like he did at Wisconsin. Is he the break it to the house guy? No not really that's not his style. But Terrell Davis and Jamal Lewis weren't break it to the house style guys either...oh yeah that's the last two backs to break the 2000 yard mark.\

If you're looking for a steal. Micheal Bush in the second round. Not sure if he'll be fully healthy by the start of the season but giving the Oline more talent and time to develop and him healthy....he'll be a much more deadly playmaker in the long run.

Back to Lelie. Threads like this where x player is available we should persue him in FA. Why would we want him when the problem area on our offense is NOT wide receiver?

16. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

Dunta Robinson is not a shutdown corner by any means. Maybe he'll become more of a shutdown corner, but in the meantime he's one of the best tackling corners in the league. Put more of a cover corner opposite of him like Clements or Samuel and we're good at CB. Faggins can play the nickel.

17. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

This would only be true if our CB corp played receivers, rather than sides of the field. If you play sides of field, you need two corners who can both cover #1 WRs, because as it happens, the teams we play just switch their #1 to the non-DRob side

18. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

1. The FO says we need to add playmakers on O. I'll defer to their better judgment.

2. Even I can see that our skill personnel package lacks quite a bit of punch and HR threat.

3a. In 2005-2006 combined, this offense produced 5 pass plays of over 40 yards.

3b. From 2003-2005 in Denver, Lelie produced 15 receptions of over 40 yards (5 every year).

3c. Andre Johnson's YPC has gone from around 15 in 2003 and 2004 to 11 n 2005 and 2006. His catches 20+ and 40+ have been halved. Clearly, we need a deep threat to open up some space for him to operate.

So there it is, a pretty good case for adding a deep threat. Lelie fits that bill, and if the money, attitude, and PT situation fit, he'd be a really nice addition.

19. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

Clements will probably get the biggest contract of this FA class in a market full of teams awash in cash and cap space. He'll go to the highest bidder... are you okay with that being the Texans? Samuel and his "Get paid" tat will be right behind. It's a tough call.

20. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

I think Clements and Sammuels will keep each other from getting stupid money. I would think it will end up with something in the Champ Bailey range.

Another thing to keep in mind with our cap, it should clear up in a year or two when all those dead contracts finally finish (Wade, Smith etc.), so if we put most of Clements contract value a couple years from now, maybe we can give him his money without getting in cap hell.