Leinhart or Young

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Texas, Aug 30, 2005.

?

Who do you beleive is a better quarterback overall?

1. Matt Leinhart

55 vote(s)
    70.5%
  2. Vincent Young

23 vote(s)
    29.5%
  1. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

I'd have to say Young

2. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

2 National Championships to 0 wins vs. OU

Leinhart

(My UT fan side) Leinhart has had some better players around him, but you cant argue with results...

3. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

I, personally, like QBs that can pass.

4. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Leinart is the better QB. Vince Young is the better QB for Texas' offense.

5. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I'll take Omar Jacobs over the both of them. He's a top athlete who has QB skills.

6. DomDavis

DomDavis Veteran

You can when it's a team result and you're comparing individuals.

7. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

Out of those two I'd say Leinhart is the better QB. If your talkin about who'll be the best NFL QB I'd say Chris Leak will be a very good pro.

8. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

I guess than you can throw out all stats cause all stats are dependent on a team effort. WR catches ball from QB but WR doesnt catch ball if he doesnt get open. WR doesnt catch ball if QB is on his back. WR doesnt catch ball if the other WRs dont run their routes to stretch the defense. O-line doesnt keep QB on feet if RB cant run. RB cant run if O-line doesnt get their there hat on someone. If RB doesnt run then playaction doesnt work and QB doesnt have enough time, etc. The indiviual is vital to the success of the team so you can compare team success when comparing individuals or it would be pointless to look at stats at all...

9. Fldvldog

Fldvldog Veteran

Omar Jacobs is the best QB in the nation...MARK MY WORDS...

10. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

I like Vince Young and I'm a UT fan but I've got to go with Leinart because he's the better QB. Vince is a phenomenal athlete but as a passer I have to go with Leinart.

11. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Agreed.

12. Panther5407

Panther5407 All Pro

Leinhart anyday for a quaterback. If I wanted a runningback, Young is my man. But best of all my team has a combo by the name of Reggie McNeil. Some of Youngs running plus Leinharts throwing and decision making.

13. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

I just really like Young after seeing last years game against Michigan

14. DomDavis

DomDavis Veteran

He's part of the team, not the whole team. No stat can tell everything. Obviously a quarterback is dependent on the players around him for his own ratings, much like the team is dependent on all its players for their record. But, individual statistics are more reflective of a quarterback than W/L record. Neither one is perfect, but individual statistics are better. You can have the best quarterback in the world and he can he held down in W/L if the coaching and other players aren't good. Texas has had plenty of its very talented quarterbacks over the years... none seem to beat OU or win the national championship. Sooner or later, it's time to realize that it's the system and the coaching, not the individual players.

And McNeal isn't close to Leinart in decision-making.

15. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

You can plug McNeal and Young into USC's system and they're going to do well.

Plug McNeal or Leinart into Texas' system and they get killed.

16. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

I find it hard to blame Mack Brown when Young loses the ball on a QB sneak to get a first down last year or a TD the year before...

17. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

Haha, do what? McNeal is just as fast if not faster than Young, he just doesnt have near as much talent around him. Even with that McNeal only threw 4 INT's to Young's 11, so that has to say something about his passing ability.

18. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

Young is a great athlete who plays QB, while Leinhart is a great college QB (2 national championships prove that). Whether either become superstars at the next level, we will have to wait to see, cause like several have already mentioned there are better QB's in college this year than those two.

Oh by the way I selected Leinhart.

19. DomDavis

DomDavis Veteran

McNeal has comparable speed to Young, but he doesn't have close to the vision. Young has vision and cutbacks that most running backs would kill to have, much less quarterbacks. It's a lot more than straight-line speed with Young.

I don't. One of Texas' primary problems over the years has been the lack of a pocket presence from their quarterbacks. One of the knocks on both Mock and Simms was that they didn't seem to tuck away the ball when the defenses approached. That's a skill that can be taught and drilled into players, and when one school consistently has the same problems but with different players, you have to look at the people preparing them.

FYI, I do think Leinart is probably the better quarterback right now... not sure if it'll be that way in a couple of months, but for now, I agree. That said, I agree because of his statistics and individual performance, not the fact that he's won one or two (depending on what poll you use) championships. Matt Mauck, Craig Krynzel and Tee Martin are national champions too... doesn't prove they are/were great quarterbacks.

20. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

Tough question there. But i will say this, Ive seen Young play alot more than Leinart so, it's hard to be unbiased in this question. Young reminds me of a Vick type QB, great runner, average passer. Leinert is a great passer, but not as mobile as young. either way, should be a good year in college football to evaluate prospects.