Leinart's bench

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Dr. Toro, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

Just thought some of you would like to know, the original USC proday report on ESPN Insider by McShay had a big error in it. They reported Leinart put up 26 reps of 225... well he didn't lift.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...shay_todd&id=2394872&univLogin02=stateChanged

Leinart was on ESPN today marveling at Cutler's 23, saying that he had finally got to double digits.

The bench ain't very important for QB's, but I was seriously impressed when I heard of the 26. Having reassessed his athleticism, Leinart most closely resembles Tom Brady, a guy whose made an HOF career with intangibles but wasn't a high draft pick. I think measurables are vastly overrated, and am not necessarily bothered by a guy being drafted on winning, game, and leadership.

2. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

turd mcshay made an error? huh? i'm lost.

leinart is the best player in the draft.

3. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

Leinart is more athletically gifted than really scene on tape. Rosanne Barr can run the USC offense! He doesn't have the Carson Palmer arm, but eh guy can flat out play football.

4. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

Another guy like that is Penniger from Fresno State. I don't think he's on anybody's radar screen, but Pat Hill swears by him. He is an excellent leader and reader of defenses. Another one of those guys who can't, but just goes out and wins games. Those two matched blows in that big game. SC won, but it wasn't because of Leinart. I think 500 yards plus by a guy named Bush had more to do with that loss.

I'm just agreeing with your comment that players can come out of nowhere particularly QB's. I remember a young blond haired surfer from Santa Clara playing Fresno State and killing us. I wondered who the heck this guy was. Long story short his name was Pastorinni.

5. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

yeah, USC won because of pinegar actually. his 4 INT's were gifts.

6. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Out of all the guys in the draft, I see most potential for bust in Leinart. Just not too sure he's not a product of the system.

7. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

He must have done something right thoough, because we were in the game until the end. Actually the last one that cost us the game Hill said was a sensational read by the defensive player. He didn't fault Penniger at all. It took an outstanding play to defeat us.

I'm just commenting on the fact you never know where a QB can come from and certain skills are not necessarily a predictor of success as the gentleman said. Penniger has a stronger arm than Linert. He is a gym rat like Carr.

8. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

pinnegar easily has the weakest arm in this draft.

9. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

Yeah, I don't want to discount results and game film, but his lack of athleticism AND questionable arm strength (add a shoulder surgery) make for as unique a high pick as Young or Cutler. I think Leinart will be good, but this can't miss talk is tough to believe given his limited physical skills.

10. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Other than Texas I watched more USC games than any other, and I am not a Leinert booster. I think out of the top 3, he has the highest bust potential. At the very best, I see him as merely good, but never great. Having said that, he is also the most ready to play now among the big 3.

11. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

I'm sure Chow would love for him to step right into the Titans offense regardless of any Pro Day or Combine workout.

12. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Ouch.

Link: Miami Herald

13. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

about as limited as brady coming out of college.

14. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

And Brady wasn't a top 5 pick.

15. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

hes the 3rd qb on my board...I've seen them all play...love Cutler's game...love VY's game. I see a plodding slowfooted version of Leftwich/Bledsoe without a big arm when I see Leinart.