Leigh Bodden to visit Houston-Re-Signs with Pats for 28.5 million /5 years 10 guar.

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by ArlingtonTexan, Mar 7, 2010.

1. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/07/bodden-will-meet-with-texans/

2. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

If this is the case then I would love to sign him as long as he's not looking for a massive signing bonus like Dunta got.

3. GP

GP Go Texans!

If we poured almost $10 million into Dunta Robinson's shoes for only one season, surely we can afford Bodden at around $5 million-per-year.

That's getting him for two seasons for the same price as Dunta's 2009 season here.

IMO, this would take Cornerback off the draft chart for the first two rounds. Of course, I wouldn't put it past Smithiak to still grab a really tempting Cornerback, or Safety for that matter, if he happened to be sitting at our #20 spot overall (or in round 2).

But for the most part, it gives us breathing room if we lock up what has been touted as one of the better Cornerbacks on the market. We dumped Dunta, and we pop in a guy like Bodden.

This makes the defense almost set, unless we're looking to upgrade even more at DB or DL.

But why would we? Seems like we need to beef up the OL--I'd like a big nasty at Center, personally--or maybe shoot for the moon and take a RB? I can't see us taking a first round RB, though.

My bet for round 1 and 2 is this: OL, interior DL (in no particular order, btw). Unless someone slides to us that was expected to be gone very early.

4. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

According to the NFLN, he's in the air right now...

5. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

I agree, if we can get him for around ~5mil a pop it's an easy way to remove CB from the list of NEEDS.

6. WolverineFan

Personally I would like to see us sign Bodden. It will be expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as signing Dunta. Then we need to open up the bank account and sign O.J. Atogwe (FS, Rams). He was a RFA, but they gave him a pretty weak tender. If we can offer him a contract that they don't match then we can get him without giving up picks.

That means we can avoid taking a CB or FS in the 1st (although I do love Kyle Wilson and Earl Thomas) and then we can draft Ryan Mathews (RB, Fresno State) in the 1st and Mike Johnson (G, Alabama) in the 2nd.

This is exactly what I would do, but hey I'm not the GM.

GP likes this.
  7. GP

GP Go Texans!

Not bad, WolverineFan. Rep your way!

Not bad at all.

8. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

I love this.

9. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Yup. I agree with going after Bodden and Atogwe. If we can also land OG Smith then we can enter the draft going after the BPA. We can literally draft the very best player on our draft board and not have to worry about reaching.

Also, it allows us to trade down and possibly out of the first round in order to stockpile picks. This is a deep draft so the more shells RS has to shoot, the better off we will be!

10. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

If we land Otogwe and Bodden, theres no way we wont be in the playoffs next year. Otogwe is the most underrated free safety in the game.

Whats the tender on him as far as draft picks go?

11. GP

GP Go Texans!

I am worried about the Steelers, who have been reportedly interested in him.

He could stay on the East Coast, close to the region where he has made contacts, and he could be playing for a team who knows how to stay truly competitive on an annual basis.

This needs to be one of those situations where he doesn't leave Houston without a contract.

12. RagingBull

RagingBull Hall of Shame

According to Walterfootball, it is NO draft choices. Just first right of refusal. I guess this means that they have the right to match the offer.

"O.J. Atogwe (RFA), FS, Rams. Age: 29.
    Tendered by Rams (right of first refusal)

O.J. Atogwe was one of the few bright spots for the Rams defense this year. When he was placed on IR, St. Louis' ability to defend the pass went into the crapper. "

13. WolverineFan

He has no draft pick tender. The Rams tendered him with a right of first refusal, but no pick compensation. They franchised him last year and are trying to work out a long-term deal with him. I think they gave him a weak tender hoping that some team would come by and give him a deal and then they could match it and keep him without having to give him an Antrel Rolle-like deal.

However, if we roll along and give him a similar deal to that of Rolle then I doubt they will match it. They are a rebuilding team and I doubt they would invest $7 mil a year in a Safety.

I don't much like the idea of giving Atogwe a deal like that, but we need a FS and it would make our team much better if we could sign him and then use our draft picks on other areas of need.

14. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

15. RagingBull

RagingBull Hall of Shame

Sounds like it is time to break out the Poison Pill.:turtle:

If Atogwe plays more than 4 games in St. Louis, he gets a $1 Billion dollar bonus.

16. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

LA Rams to the rescue!

17. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 All Pro

I love how it says "contrary to reports" in the article

18. RagingBull

RagingBull Hall of Shame

Every year they spend on ONE moderate to high priced guy. Last year it was A. Smith, year before it was Reeves. Year before it was A. Green. Looks like this year it may be Bodden.

19. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Agree with this. We need to treat him like we did Antonio Smith: First visit, hard sell, sign before leaving, cancel all other visits.

20. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I've been a fan of Bodden for years. I hope this happens.