Left Tackle: Select One.

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Blake, Oct 17, 2005.

?

Favorite Left Tackle

1. Andrew Whitworth

6.9%
  2. D'Brickashaw Ferguson

72.4%
  3. Eric Winston

10.3%
  4. Jonathan Scott

6.9%
  5. Marcus McNeill

3.4%
  1. Blake

Blake MMQB

You have the #1 pick, and have decided to stay put and select the best LT on the board.

Here are your choices.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    *Others will be able to see your votes*

2. TexansCanes

TexansCanes All Pro

are we suppose to post our votes or it this suppose to be a poll!

wouldn't take any of the LTs number one but i'll take Marcus McNeill.

3. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

I also wouldnt take any LTs #1, but I think D'Brick has the best VALUE for the pick.

4. Blake

Blake MMQB

I went with Eric Winston. Im starting to feel like he will be the best at the end of the year. I also am wondering how D'Brick will do when he adds on 15 more pounds, and how he bouces back from his knee problem.

5. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

He certainly cant bounce back any worse than Winston has.

6. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

None of these OTs are worth the 1st overall pick, but Ferguson is the best of them...I was a huge Winston supporter, but he has really disappointed me this year...Scott would be a good trade down option if we were to drop out of the top 10, and Whitworth would be a good option if we somehow end up with a pick in the 20-30 range...McNeill will be nothing more than a RT in the pros...

7. Blake

Blake MMQB

Winston tore his ACL. Brick only sprained his knee. But point taken.

8. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno....I saw the Miami-FSU game on TV and Winston was not at all impressive. He did not look that athletic and actually had a waddling type gait when he was running down field. Worse of all, saw him get beat multiple times trying to protect the QB on passing plays.

9. TexansCanes

TexansCanes All Pro

winston did tear his acl less than a year earlier, so he might need a little more time to get back to 100%, if he can. also he was going up against wimbley, one of the better pass rushers in the country.

i feel bad, i forgot about my man whitworth. can i change my vote?

in all honesty none of these guys have really had a great year, except for maybe scott (havn't really watched a UT game).

10. Blake

Blake MMQB

Agreed. FSU's D-line is the best in the nation overall. Something like 10-12 sacks.

11. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I'm going back downstairs to watch the USC vs. ND game again just to make sure I didn't miss anything or anyone.........but remember Miami-FSU was @ the beginning of the year and yes Winston did look stiff and seemed to have limited mobility from side to side. but he is gaining his agility, timing and strength back since then and now looks closer to his pre-injury form. he still has the best hand punch I've seen and if he continues to improve could be the top tackle taken. although I love D'Brick's upside if the Texans go LT they need help now not latter therefore Winston may be the logical choice.

12. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

FSU was healthy that game, the last game (Virginia) their best pass rushing end was injured, DBrickashaw played only half the game (I assume this was planned coming back from his injury) and he had help blocking on the edge. but for what it's worth the so called experts rank D'Brick #1 McNeill #2 & Winston #3 :cool:

13. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

It's got to start inside out for us, specially when it comes to our pathetic offense. We have to draft someone who will provide some sort of protection for David Carr. Once again Carr showed yesterday that he can be a good player if given some decent amount of protection. Even though starting a rookie LT no matter how talented is always risky we have no other choice and one of those guys above is certainly better than any otgher option we have right now.

14. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

GARGANTUAN compared to the rest.

15. Fldvldog

Fldvldog Veteran

I have to disagree with you on this one. Ferguson is worth a no.1 overall pick. Did you see him against FSU? Nobody even came close to the QB. He's shown it on numerous games this season. He is the most athletic OT in college football, and arguably, the soon-to-be most athletic OT ever drafted. Yes, he is the most hyped OT since Gallery, but, IMO, the hype is real.

When the texans have the no.1 overall pick, they would be plain out stupid not to take him.

16. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

Go get Ferguson for Houston Texans football

17. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I don't follow the OL much.. I am curious on how y'all would rate the tackles or better yet how much difference in talent/skill is there between saw a Ferguson and a Johnathon Scott for example..

Reason I ask..Say the Texans get the overall pick and we are looking to trade down and gain a pick or two... If we traded to #10 and gained a first for next year and say a 2nd or 3rd (I can't remember what the giants/Sd trade did) this year ... would it be that much of a dropoff in skill for a tackle?

Hypothetically speaking..Being Ferguson might not be there at 10 and say Scott or winston would.

I am not asking for who the Texan need or want, but wondering talentwise between the different players coming out.

18. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

d'brick is currently the top. quick feet and fast hands but he has a problem keeping his weight on. finished last year at around 260...not good for a NFL LT. potential to nuetralize speed rushers.

mcneal is projected as a RT, to me seems like a younger wade. great extension with the hands but overall not very athletic.

winston is still recovering from ACL surgery but was rated the #1 OT before the injury. his upper body strength is amazing and i believe he ran a 4.7 pre injury. should he recover fully he will give d'brick a run for his money for top LT taken.

justice protects lienert. he is very solid but an underclassmen.

witworth is also solid but consisent, and a good person in the comunity. withworth should be available in the second round in the draft.

scott is less talked about and should slide to the second round. i believe right now he is towards the bottem of the pack in rankings but has looked towards the top on the field.

all in all the talent drop is not extreme from guy to guy, but d'brick is much better than scott. also if you are trying to consider potential and projections you should be looking at one of two guys: d'brick and eric winston. i feel both will turn out to be all pro's and anchors on their respective lines.

you should not pass on a top tier LT in the first round just because someone who would have gone in the first round last year is in the second. this year has a stong class and we should be getting the pick of the litter even after a trade down from the top spot.

my pick: d'brick or winston....depending on how they progres and recover.

19. Youngstown Colt

Youngstown Colt All Pro

Numerous games? He's barely played enough games to even call them numerous.

The hype is NOT real with this guy. He'll be a possible solid tackle, but nothing more in the NFL. Most athletic ever drafted? That's an insult to a player like Anthony Munoz who had supreme footwork. And there's not much more to being a LT than footwork and upper body strength.

20. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I think Dbrick will be good.