Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Left tackle resolved?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Pre-season is over and Duane Brown was never manhandled in my opinion. I'm sure he was not perfect, but to my untrained eye, he did quite well and should get better with NFL experience. Pittsburgh should be a very good test.
Could it be this trade down selection could be the resolution many of us have clamored for? Could next year draft happen without me screaming "get a left tackle"?

To get a decent starter and more in a trade down could be the best trade Texans ever accomplished. Hope I am not sobbing after Sunday.

Pre-season is over and Duane Brown was never manhandled in my opinion. I'm sure he was not perfect, but to my untrained eye, he did quite well and should get better with NFL experience. Pittsburgh should be a very good test.
Could it be this trade down selection could be the resolution many of us have clamored for? Could next year draft happen without me screaming "get a left tackle"?

To get a decent starter and more in a trade down could be the best trade Texans ever accomplished. Hope I am not sobbing after Sunday.

He got worked a bit against Dallas, but still gave up no sacks. By the same tokem, that was Ware on a lot of those plays.

He seems to get better as the game goes along and I can't tell if that is just him getting used to the NFL, or maybe it is because the opponents starters don't stay in the game very long. Or maybe both.

Either way, like badboy said, he hasn't made any large mistakes which is good. Hopefully this carries over to the season and he isn't confused by the 3-4 blitzes executed by big strong defensive players he will most definitely receive.

resolved? No - since he hasn't played a full game yet. Do we feel more at ease since he played so well in the preseason? Sure. Consistency is what separates these guys. For example even David Carr can look good at some times...but his body of work is so inconsistent that he is useless as a starting QB in this league.

It's all but completely premature to declare we've now got a permanent solution to our LT issues. Brown has played not a single snap in a single NFL regular season game, where he will see blitzs, stunts, etc. and the kind of individual effort from DLine personnel across from him he is yet to experience. What we've seen in his preseason performances is encouraging and therefor offers hope we've now found a franchise LT, but not until Sunday in Pittsburg do the real tests begin.

it looks good so far. would have been nice to let him sit and learn. we will know soon with the first couple of games

Would all of you say that he's ahead of where we thought Charles Spencer was going into his rookie season prior to breaking his leg?

I feel like we maybe got the right guy for the job but until they start playing real full-length games we won't know what's up. He saw a lot of vanilla in the last four weeks. Starting Sunday he's going to Baskin-Robbins. Pittsburgh is a murderous place to take a rookie LT. We'll learn a lot about Duane Brown on Sunday.

Would all of you say that he's ahead of where we thought Charles Spencer was going into his rookie season prior to breaking his leg?

I feel like we maybe got the right guy for the job but until they start playing real full-length games we won't know what's up. He saw a lot of vanilla in the last four weeks. Starting Sunday he's going to Baskin-Robbins. Pittsburgh is a murderous place to take a rookie LT. We'll learn a lot about Duane Brown on Sunday.

No doubt. Pittsburgh is a great test. I have liked what I have seen and BELIEVE he is the answer. But, it's a bit of a leap of faith at this point, and I admit I could be wrong. Time will tell here pretty quick. If he survives the first 5 weeks in good shape, then I will be a very happy camper.:devilpig:

No doubt. Pittsburgh is a great test. I have liked what I have seen and BELIEVE he is the answer. But, it's a bit of a leap of faith at this point, and I admit I could be wrong. Time will tell here pretty quick. If he survives the first 5 weeks in good shape, then I will be a very happy camper.:devilpig:

Yep. He'll get a good test this coming Sunday, he'll be playing the whole game. Maybe. We'll know a lot more at him in about a month or so. One thing is for sure though, I think he was a good pick. He is going to be good at his postion, just maybe not so much out of the starting gate. But we'll see about that in just a few days now.

All I know is that he's already exceeded my expectations.

In hindsight think about if we wouldn't have picked him or traded down. Salaam is out with an injury so we'd have Butler starting at LT with no real viable back ups.

If I could pick only 2 of our picks to pan out, they'd be Duane Brown and Frank Okam. If the two of them become quality starters for years to come, it's going to pay HUGE dividends for the team.

Not resolved, but I can go back to loving Ephraim Salaam and his charm. I'm worried that Brown will get overwhelmed in Pittsburgh, but, his play so far has not left me wanting to go back to what we had last year.

I was satisfed with his play in preseason .... As TB pointed out he had a tough time Vs. Dallas and Ware , then again who doesnt ? He has nothing but upside

as long as there are no Ron Dayne sightings I think our LT problems are in better hands than at any point in the past.

If the Texans survive the first 5 weeks in good shape, then I will be an even happier camper.:headhurts:

resolved? No - since he hasn't played a full game yet. Do we feel more at ease since he played so well in the preseason? Sure. Consistency is what separates these guys. For example even David Carr can look good at some times...but his body of work is so inconsistent that he is useless as a starting QB in this league.

Are you suggesting that David Carr is not a good QB?

the OL on a whole looks alot better, they play more like a unit, Pitts looks like a monster which should really help Duane in stunts & feel protection from the inside so he can focus on the edge & the speed rushers. I've noticed however some teams are just more aggressive than others, Pittsburgh being one of them who tend to send in safety blitzs & extra linebackers which reguire the RB's to pick up & I think this is the single biggest concern right now.

Duane is ahead of schedule if he continues to improve technique & read the blitz packages he will be solid enough. The Texans had to address LT in the draft & they did. which upon reflection makes that trade down so risky I'm just glad it worked out :thumbup

Yeah, about this time a couple of years ago, we were hearing how Spencer's nickname was "Big Nasty." Catastrophic knee injuries weren't the sort of nasty we were thinking of.

The left tackle position is jinxed until it is unjinxed. Somebody go sacrifice poultry or something. :chicken: And certainly stop talking about the eft-lay ackle-tay being esolved-ray.

It makes me want to change the title of this thread but I don't think that erases jinx. Maybe we should hide under pancakes. :bunpan:

Steelers are generally a very very aggressive defensive team.

I am worried for Matt Schaub. After the scripted plays are gone, and the Steelers have had a look at our formations and packages and tendencies, I think our lack of a running game is going to be our undoing.

Sure, we'll keep it moderately close for the first few possessions. But we always look good on the first possession, and then we tend to bog down after that. Of course, that could have been a Mike Sherman thing...so I guess I need to just wait and see on it.

We got hosed on our scheduling, IMO. :aggressive:

Impossible question to answer right now... no matter who we drafted at LT, they simply have to perform in the regular season and show progress as the year goes on. But from what we do know from preseason,etc...the odds have been moving in the right direction for sure.

Caution be damned, Brown is the answer we have all wanted all our lives.

Spencer was nothing compared to the ballerina bear that is Duane Brown.

ballerina05.jpg

Hmmm not the exact imagery I was looking for...

Caution be damned, Brown is the answer we have all wanted all our lives.

Spencer was nothing compared to the ballerina bear that is Duane Brown.

ballerina05.jpg

Hmmm not the exact imagery I was looking for...

I think the imagery you're looking for is right here:

color me skeptical. color this game ugly. We won't know anything more about db than we know now. Pittsburgh is going to kick our ass in every facet of the game...no need to draw conclusions from that.

color me skeptical. color this game ugly. We won't know anything more about db than we know now. Pittsburgh is going to kick our ass in every facet of the game...no need to draw conclusions from that.

I bet people said the same thing before we played Carolina last year

Well...if you track back what i said before carolina..it was along the lines of

JESUS, my fever is 105 degrees. Am i dying? This sucks. This hospital has crappy internet.

Chiefs. Larry Johnson was supposed to run all over us while we put up no fight at all. We had no receivers outside of AJ, and Mario Williams was a complete bust at that point last season. The Chiefs had gone to the playoffs last year, and although they exited early, it didn't matter, they were a playoff team and we were not.

Yeah that was a sweet win.

Chiefs. Larry Johnson was supposed to run all over us while we put up no fight at all. We had no receivers outside of AJ, and Mario Williams was a complete bust at that point last season. The Chiefs had gone to the playoffs last year, and although they exited early, it didn't matter, they were a playoff team and we were not.

Yeah that was a sweet win.

I love the optimism and I hope we come out more of a complete team than what we have seen recently. But we are on the road in Pitt of all places.... I am forcing my self to be cautious.

well...if he can just hold his own this year that would be unbelievable...left tackles usually need a few years before they are worth a crap. so far he looks good, though....

No. I'm trying to think of ways to break jinxes. Some cultures believe in animal sacrifice. At this point, I'd love anything anyone could do for our left tackle position not to be an issue any more.

yeah... my post was an attempt at a choke the chicken joke that went over like a lead balloon...

go sacrifice poultry... ie., choke the chicken... <insert rim shot>...

Thank you ladies and germs, I'll be here all weekend, don't forget to tip your wait staff.

Last edited:
He got worked a bit against Dallas, but still gave up no sacks. By the same tokem, that was Ware on a lot of those plays.
"Here's a little news flash for all those naysayers and nonbelievers. I'm not going to Houston to seek their good opinion. I'm going to Houston to serve the loyal fans of this great city."

Signed
Duane Palin Brown.

icon10.gif

Seriously, TB. I'll tell you what. Kubiak and Shanahan and Gibbs and all of 'em would grade Duane Brown the highest among all the linemen in that game. In all the pre-season games to be exact.

In the gurls' game, there was only one play I believe Gibbs would make him watch the game film over and over again.

No, it's not that reverse by Walter. Brown did great on that play.

No, not the TD from MS to Walter.

Not even the last offensive play of the first half (on 3rd and 3) in which Ware got a piece of MS's jersey. I can live with Brown getting beat off the edge in 2 secs. It would take the rusher another 1/2 or so to get to the QB. MS could have stepped up into the pocket a bit sooner anyway.

That would be the 2nd play in the 2nd half in which MS was still able to complete a 12 yd pass to A.D. with pressure from Ware.
It's the second biggest sins for a OT, IMO, to let the pass rusher inside to your QB. Even though this one also took about 2 secs plus.
You don't want to see your QB landing on his back!!! :bat::bat:

err, is that code for something???

I know that Pedro Cerrano wanted to sacrifice a chicken to Jobu before a game in the movie major league... Jake came up with the idea and Willy Mays Hayes brought KFC instead of using a live chicken. Alas, it didn't help Cerrano..

The trade also landed us Steve Slaton. So yeah, if both those picks turn out to be great we could have probably the best draft day deal ever in our franchise's short history.

The trade also landed us Steve Slaton. So yeah, if both those picks turn out to be great we could have probably the best draft day deal ever in our franchise's short history.
I think Dominique Barber is still on team and he was part of that trade also.

It's all but completely premature to declare we've now got a permanent solution to our LT issues. Brown has played not a single snap in a single NFL regular season game, where he will see blitzs, stunts, etc. and the kind of individual effort from DLine personnel across from him he is yet to experience. What we've seen in his preseason performances is encouraging and therefor offers hope we've now found a franchise LT, but not until Sunday in Pittsburg do the real tests begin.
Agreed, but having said that, other defenses did not see our full offense either. I think there will be several plays especially in the game with Pittsburgh designed to catch defense off guard. I will soon start a thread in that regard.

Yeah, about this time a couple of years ago, we were hearing how Spencer's nickname was "Big Nasty." Catastrophic knee injuries weren't the sort of nasty we were thinking of.

The left tackle position is jinxed until it is unjinxed. Somebody go sacrifice poultry or something. :chicken: And certainly stop talking about the eft-lay ackle-tay being esolved-ray.

It makes me want to change the title of this thread but I don't think that erases jinx. Maybe we should hide under pancakes. :bunpan:

Does consuming a 9-piece Popeye's Chicken count?
...or does it have to be Church's (since that's a Texas-based franchise)

I love the optimism and I hope we come out more of a complete team than what we have seen recently. But we are on the road in Pitt of all places.... I am forcing my self to be cautious.
Is it good to play Steelers early? Maybe, we can sneak up on them and whup 'em before they realize it is a regular season game. We have beat them before.

Is it good to play Steelers early? Maybe, we can sneak up on them and whup 'em before they realize it is a regular season game. We have beat them before.

This is a team with a great opening day record. This is a team of veterans who know what they're doing. They aren't planning on taking us for granted or letting us sneak up on them. If this was later on in the season sandwiched in between two teams that are considered stronger than we are, then we might be able to sneak up on them. But not this game.

This game we're going to get their best shot and we're going to have to find a way to deal with them.

Brown does not have to be a franchise LT, just play smart and solid. We may see some false starts and holding calls against him, but that could save our QB from getting knocked from game. He offers me more hope than I have felt starting a season since I heard Bocelli would not start. Hopefully the game plan will offer him help.

Back