Leave David Carr alone

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by ShinobiMusashi, Mar 22, 2019.

1. ShinobiMusashi

ShinobiMusashi Rookie

There was another thread that was partially derailed with David Carr/Charlie Casserly talk that I found very interesting. I personally have a ton of nostalgia for the early years of the Texans and I have to confess I actually liked David Carr and think he's bashed a bit too hard by Texans fans. Sure he had major issues and I'm not going to sit here and say he was great but I seem to still have fond memories, the first touchdowns in the very first game against Dallas, some gutsy performances in some 2003-2004 games as well, remember the overtime shootout against Minnesota in 04? Man that was so good. 2004 seemed to be his peak, there was a run there when we were like 4-2 where he was playing really well, the win over KC, then he kinda fell apart with the rest of the team from there. Remember that time he was suplexed onto his head against Green Bay and then played like **** the rest of the game? Good times.

I thought he was going to be the next Steve Young, sure I was wrong but I seen flashes of real potential at times in his first 3 years. I was honestly actually kinda disappointed when they cut him for Schaub, at the time I thought that was a lateral move, those first 2 years it really kinda was, Schaub stayed hurt most of the time and wasn't that great until his third year. Maybe Kubiak should've given Carr another year in 2007?

Anyways yeah random old school thoughts on my mind tonight.

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Palmer supposedly reworked the offense for 2004. Carr was throwing for a lot of yards with a peak game (not OT) loss against Minnesota with 372 yds, 3 TDs, 0 INTs. Then 4 games later he threw 0 TDs, 3 INTs against Indy and Capers yanked the new offense. Carr was lucky to see 200 yds after that. So no, it wasn't ALL his fault. But a lot was.

And yes there were great memories in there.

3. bigmck

bigmck All Pro

David, I wasn't aware you were a member of the Forum. :)

4. ShinobiMusashi

ShinobiMusashi Rookie

Interesting. I didn't know that. Was looking at his game logs for 2004 and he definitely peaked during that first half of the season. From week 2 to week 7 of that year he had a 64.67% completion percentage with 1,688 yards 9 touchdowns and 3 interceptions for a rating of 103.7 during that stretch. It was during that stretch that we had our very first winning record and our very first 2 game win streak(remember Carr's hair haha! good times), also Carr brought us our very first win over the sell out Tennessee Oilers during that stretch.

We went 4-2 during that 6 game stretch(4-3 overall) at one point during that stretch we won 4 out of 5 games with the only loss being that epic shootout loss to Minnesota where we came back from 21-0 deficit. So there was talent there.

The rest of that season we went 3-6, during those last 9 games Carr fell apart with only 7 tds 9 interceptions and a 70. rating.

5. ShinobiMusashi

ShinobiMusashi Rookie

Also another interesting little stat that I like, Carr set a NFL record for most times sacked in that 2002 expansion year, he took a beating every week but he was 1 of only 3 or 4 quarterbacks to start all 16 games in the NFL that year. It was a different era back then much more brutal and physical for QB's than now. I always liked that the kid was that tough and he just seemed to have a fire in his belly those first few years. Its crazy how that just got beat right out of him by 2005.

Also I read in a book a while back that Carr had bad relationships with team mates and coaching staff and that his dad was always around him micro managing his life and career, supposedly this impacted his status in the locker room and he was never taken seriously as a leader, for example instead of going out with the boys after practice he was always being taken away by daddy who was always right there over his shoulder. Has anybody else ever heard anything about that before?

CWTexansFan likes this.
  6. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Yes the dad stuff was noticed. Carr's Christian/family 1st priorities kept him from mingling with the team. It's common for QBs to take their OL out to dinner. Carr didn't do it. Lots of players hang out late at the facility to watch film (and coaches will stay if asked). Carr took dvds home. Who knows how much he watched. You could see he was basically alone on the sideline. That was all on him.

When Derek came into the league he talked about doing things differently.

disaacks3, CWTexansFan, TD and 3 others like this.
  7. ShinobiMusashi

ShinobiMusashi Rookie

And I always love a good "what if", what if we drafted Peppers and Carr started his career somewhere else? Where would he have most likely have landed in that 2002 draft if we didn't take him? Detroit? Washington? and would he have been better or worse? Same? The thought of him going to Washington at that time is very intriguing, they had a great o-line during the Joe Gibbs 2.0 run with a few good weapons in Portis, Moss, and Cooley, I mean surely Carr was better than Jason Campbell and Patrick Ramsey right?

Also I know Schaub was on another level but I still can't help but remember Carr more fondly I don't know why. I just don't think Carr was this big joke bust that he's made out to be by Texans fans we had some good times. He's still my boy ftw!

Texas Jake likes this.
  8. ShinobiMusashi

ShinobiMusashi Rookie

double post sorry

9. Texan Asylum

Texan Asylum Hall of Fame

I always liked Carr and wonder how well he would’ve - or could’ve - done under different circumstances or with a team that had an effecient OL that could have protected him.

10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

As long as Carr never put football first, he was never going to be as great as we wanted him to be

11. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Has Watson exceeded Carr's being sacked record yet?

:coffee:

Found it: Texans quarterback David Carr's NFL-record 76 sacks in 2002 and 68 in 2005.

Deshaun Watson sacked NFL-high 62 times this season.

So we are making progress in protecting our QB. :sarcasm:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Porky, disaacks3, CWTexansFan and 3 others like this.
  12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

No

13. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

If Obrien doesn't get this fixed this year he needs to be shown the door.

I don't care what his W-L loss will be, or if he makes playoffs again, or who else he blames.

Firing the OL coach won't do it either. It's all on him.

Unconscionable.

:coffee:

14. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

You've got to seriously wonder about these men that simply can't let go of David Carr nostalgia and continually try to push this "drunk fan" agenda that David Carr was some HOFer that the Texans destroyed like he was some sort of terminator that Sarah Connors needed to destroy to save man kind.

He was a bust who didn't put enough time into studying defenses and understanding the league. He also went to a shitty organization. Get over it. There was no Pro Bowler waiting to be unleashed.

CWTexansFan, JB and steelbtexan like this.
  15. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Something Witty !

I remember them being terribly naive and immature . Carr bought his OL paintball guns after one season , paintball guns . I've heard of a QB buying Rolexes before but not paintball guns . I knew a guy who was a hole behind them on the golf course and had to wait on them because they were like sophomores in high school and that's without drinking . Then there was Ole Roger not going to cut his hair crap . That's why Carr stunk and when he went to Carolina and wore white gloves , they deemed him Mr. Mittens because he sucked there too .

CWTexansFan, JB and steelbtexan like this.
  16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

How the OL coach still has a job is beyond me.

Thx for pointing out Texans history was repeating itself, just like I predicted before last season even started and no, I didn't want to be right but it was so plain to see what was going to happen that even a blind man could see what was coming.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  17. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I had to do a double take when I saw the title of this thread. Like, you got to be kidding me. But, I guess that’s the reaction of anyone who has been here since day one. 2004? Holy sh!t, that’s freakin 15 years ago.

But if anything else, the fact that he continued to suck ass after he got cut here, speaks volumes. Ususally, most people here that got drafted, improved when they went to other teams.

HWSNBN. Let’s keep it that way.

Texecutioner, JB and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

19. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

The bodyguard

20. Texazan

Texazan Our HOF 34

LOL is that the “leave Brittney alone” kid?