Leadership on D and LB's

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TheTim5125, Feb 22, 2006.

1. TheTim5125

TheTim5125 Veteran

I know it's been harped on but honestly do we make a run at a big run at a big name LB, i.e. Ray Lewis, or Julian Peterson?

2. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

i don't see us going after either of the two you just mentioned but will witherspoon is a guy i would keep an eye on...of coure d'quell jackson in round 2 of the draft wouldn't be a bad idea either

3. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

I wouldnt be mad if we decided to go after one of the big name guys, but personally I would want Cato June because he is the yougest of the bunch. But I would rather go for Thomas Howard at the top of the second(if we trade down) or Bobby Carpenter if he falls that far.

4. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

I would add Akin Ayodele to the list of FA LB we should go after.

5. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

i have been saying Witherspoon for a month. Love the guy.

6. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I think we do go after a big name LB. I think the defense needs an attitude adjustment and guys like the above mentioned could help in that department. Leadership is key this year to me.

7. DRAMA

DRAMA All Pro

We all noticed a significant dropoff in leadership after Glenn and Sharper were gone. There was no one to look to for that steadying influence. So, here's the question, do you take a chance on Ty Law (Who was just cut) and/or Ray Lewis (Who wants out) inorder to give ourselves that 'face' and that leadership that we need?

Does Law/ Robinson NOT make our young safeties better?
    Does Ray NOT give that edge to Peek, Shante, Babin that may bring them along?

I'm not talking about that fictional 'mentor' mentality. I'm speaking of grabbing two guys that add instant leadership at two need positions. I'm not a big RayLew fan but adding Ty for a 3 year deal would raise some eyebrows in a positive way.

Add leadership at a cost?

8. DRAMA

DRAMA All Pro

Should've read your post first before I started that thread. I agree with the leadership. Mods - merge if need be...

9. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I know that if we get Ray Lew teams will not be running up and down on us like last year.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Both are great players ..... Both are getting twards the end of their careers

Both are either looking for a shot at a SUPERBOWL or another HUGE PAYDAY before they call it quits

Neither are likely to want to play for a team that was 2-14 last season

11. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

I would love to see either of them here, but we would REALLY have to pay to get them to play for this crappy Defense

12. DRAMA

DRAMA All Pro

I know Ty Law was just released and he's a name player. Does he want to go to a contending team? Most likely. However, it would nice to add a couple of solid leaders (Name players as well) to inject into this defense. There's no doubt thaht they're on the tail end of their careers, but those would be two strategic pieces and their leadership is unquestioned. Personally, I'd like to see Ty Law here. I don't think when he went to the Jets that he thought they were knocking on the door.

Wishful thinking but thinking nonetheless.....

13. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

Didn't Ty Law hold out for a big payday last year? Errr, something like that?

14. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

I think adding TY LAW and RAY LEWIS would be a good idea as far as there leadership ability goes...However I do agree that they most likely both especially TY Law are looking for a fat pay day...I really think we should go for 1 or the other but not both if we do decide to...I also beleive it should be Ray Lewis because I think P-Buch has alot more potential then people give him credit of having...He just wasnt familiar with the Zone and couldnt hang with it but hes young and I beleive his speed gives him a advantage on most CB's and as he learns he will grow.

15. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

I'd been saying Ahmad Brooks for at least a year. Now that he is (maybe) in the draft or Sup. Draft, he is the top MLB for sure and IMO the best LB. He brings everything you want in a MLB including youth and leadership. Now, all this should be available at pick #33 and wow.

I would take Brooks over Ko Simpson at #33, and yall know how i've been on Simpson's wagon for a while.

16. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

Ahmad Brooks is a stud, but he is likely going to be going back to school. I am in favor of Rocky McIntosh at the top of the third. He is a team leader and will play very similar to Witherspoon and Vilma. I am starting to have my doubts about him making the third round, because the buzz in Indy is that he is moving up draft boards due to his East West game were he played MLB some and showed he was more than capable. YTF if Brooks comes out I take him, but if not McIntosh is the player I want.

17. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

I as well, but i wouldnt take McIntosh in the second. I would wait until maybe the fifth or so for nick reid. McIntosh is my second favorite MLB in the draft, and my favorite if Brooks stays at school.

18. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

If we dont get either of the guys above, which we should because MLB is a big need, then Aaron Harris in the 5th or 6th should also be a good choice.

19. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

Bobby Carpenter and Thomas Howard are both OUTSIDE LBs. While we could use an upgrade there too, what we really need is a MIDDLE LB. Wong is our best choice at MLB and who knows how long it'll take for him to recover from his injury from last year.

That is why names like D'Qwell Jackson, Kai Parham, Gerris Wilkinson are names to consider in the 2nd-3rd rounds. My personal choice would be to take Aaron Harris in the 5th or 6th....Great value and a very underrated MLB...this guy is Zach Thomas reincarnated; he'd be a great pickup IMO.

20. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

You're not hearing me.

He may not be available to start the season b/c of his injury.

Wong is a good LB. But the fact of the matter is, he is an outside LB who only had to move to the middle b/c Sharper was let go. While he was actually one of the few players that responded well to the old coaching staff's habit of moving players around, he would still be better suited as an OLB in the 4-3.

If we acquire a stud MLB, it would allow Wong to move outside to his more natural position where he would be even better. Then you could have Greenwood/Orr compete for the other outside spot.