Leach who?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by srrono, Aug 21, 2011.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Are you guys still upset over the loss of Leach seems to me the Texans running game isnt going to miss a beat. Plus the addition of Casey in the offense seems like a huge plus. Kubiak is getting creative with his use of Casey I am excited to see what happens when the season starts.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. GP

GP Go Texans!

James Casey did a wonderful job of blocking. He sealed off a defender, beautifully, to allow our RB to score a TD.

Vickers adds another element to the FB position, too.

We are stacked on offense. 2 good FBs, 1 All-Universe RB and 2 more behind him who are no slouches, 4 or 5 WRs, 3 TEs, and 2 QBs.

And now the defense has a true d-coord leading it. Last year, we got manhandled by the Saints in preseason...and this year, they were marching down the field (again) and it looked like more of the same. Until we jacked up Drew Brees and made him fumble the ball. From that point forward, it was night and day.

I won't proclaim us Super Bowl caliber. But I will say that it looks like we can make the playoffs and have a shot at it.

3. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

The AFC South is Kubiak's to lose. This team will live or die depending on how well or poorly he manages each game.

Fingers crossed!

H.C.4100-Bloc and CharloTex like this.
  4. Rey

Rey Guest

I was not sad at all to see vonta go.

I thought that with Casey our offense would overall be more effective. And I also thought that we'd see a lot more movement with the fb position and because Casey is a legit receiving threat I knew defenses would have to honor him when he motioned out to a receiver position.

I think Casey is going to be huge for thus offense.

Jackie Chiles likes this.
  5. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

If it doesn't upset the locker room, too much, I'm not missing him too much. After having time to think on it, I'm glad we didn't pay him what he was asking. We seem close to salary cap hell right now.

6. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

That gives me so much confidence. :vincepalm:

7. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

That's a bold statement. Untill #18 up in Indy misses more then 6 games, I'd still have the Colts as the team to bet in the AFC South.

8. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Casey was all over the field last night. Motioning out to WR, they have to honor his catching ability and it leaves one less LB to deal with on runs. Talk about taking his man out. Or the block for a Jacoby screen pass, nice. They had a wide array of motions in use last night, I think that really kept the Saints D on their heels and Casey was a big part of that. He's a ram running up the gut too, he brings everything Leach brought but better hands and better athleticism. Upgrade: Complete.

Vickers....on the other hand....looked rough against 2nd teamers. AGAIN. He's not even close and with the need for special teams depth or to keep a young talent like Jean, Maehl, Braman, McMannis, etc...I don't see room for all mouth, no impact as a backup FB.

9. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Ya know, the fact that Casey will not be used as a battering ram on every running play will go a long way towards keeping him healthy. That might make it possible to keep only one FB. Is Vickers contract gauranteed?

10. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

It's like other folks have said , there's more than one way to skin a cat . When Leach comes on the field they bring in a run defense . With Casey they're really not sure what's going to happen . Casey in motion is just as good as a lead block sometimes .

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Not to be "Debbie Downer" .... But we have to put into perspective the run defense the Texans faced yesterday in the Aints ...... They were the leagues worst last season giving up an average 5.5 yards per carry.

I dont think people realize they were a poor rushing defense because they werent run on a whole lot because teams were always playing catch up due to their high powered offense.

The above said , Foster and Tate looked like they were running against a pop warner defense and could have racked up double the yardage they got ..... with ease.

12. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

This. Kubes is a good offensive schemer. Having a 5 receivers on the field in every set is extremely dangerous and difficult to scheme for. As much as I liked Vonta, he was never a threat to catch the ball other than the occasional dump.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Casey has been a pleasant surprise to me .... He's like a swiss army knife ....

14. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

Casey is the kind of guy that could spend 3 seasons on a team's bench, get cut, get picked up by the Patriots and become a household name. I'm glad we found a way to use him, it looks like he is going to be a versatile weapon for our offense.

15. CharloTex

CharloTex All Pro

This!

And toes crossed.

16. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

I'm not upset at all. I think the players we are replacing him with will fill in admirably, and I'm happy for Vonta because he got paid and he is on a good team with a chance of competing. I think everyone won on this one.

17. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The Saints gave up 1797 rushing yards on 421 attempts in 2010. A 4.3 ypc average, good for 19th in the league. Not great, but not as horrible as they looked last night. Or on that Marshawn Lynch TD run in the playoffs.

18. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

All I know is I hope to see few drives where we pass the ball 3 times. I understand it is our strength...or was...but when you can run the ball THAT well, passing should be a distant option.

Control the flow of the game with the run, give your defense some rest, and pass when you need to. It's worked so well for the Steelers all these years...

Casey looks to bring more versatility though, and the run game didn't suffer when he was in there. Think it is his job to lose, although I think Vickers will still get snaps.

19. c10x

c10x Veteran

This thread title is extremely disrespectful to someone who played very well for the Texans. I really do not support that sentiment at all.

That said, I thought James Casey played very well, and I am really excited regarding the matchup problems he can give opposing defenses. I really love this new flexibility that we didn't have with Vonta back there.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Yeah , I muffed up doing the search on last years defense .... the 5.5ypc is this years pre-season ..... how the hell I did that I dunno.