LB Joe Mays Suspended 1 Game for Hit on SCHAUB

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by SwoLy-D, Sep 25, 2012.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Rookie

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nds-joe-mays-one-game-for-hit-on-matt-schaub/

NFL suspends Joe Mays one game for hit on Matt Schaub

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 25, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT

Broncos linebacker Joe Mays has apologized for his vicious hit on Texans quarterback Matt Schaub on Sunday, but the NFL doesn’t think an apology is enough. And the league office doesn’t think a heavy fine is enough, either.

Instead, Mays has been suspended for one game for his helmet-to-helmet hit, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Mays will appeal the suspension.

The hit was absolutely brutal, knocking Schaub’s helmet off and knocking off a piece of Schaub’s ear, too. Amazingly, Schaub only missed one play, which the Texans’ medical staff apparently felt was sufficient to be sure that Schaub hadn’t suffered a concussion.

Mays is a fifth-year player who has started all three games for the Broncos this season. Last week he was suspended $7,875 for a roughing the passer penalty on Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan. When Mays drilled Schaub this week, the league office apparently decided that it would need a lot more than just a fine to get through to Mays that hits like that simply aren’t accepted in the NFL.

--------
    It should have been MORE, if you ask me. :mad:

2. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I'm pretty happy with that. I was expecting just a fine. The biggest revenge is that the Texans won the game!

3. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

If I'm being completely honest, I don't think that hit was intended to be that vicious. I think he came in with the intent to hit him hard, but I don't think he wanted to hit him like that. He's short, his helmet hit Schaub in the face, but Schaub also ducked into it. Or he was whiplashed into it by the other guy hitting him at the same time, whichever you prefer.

The hit before it was a clear intent to injure, IMO. That guy has gotten off light because of the Mays hit. The ball was away, the guy was a step or two away from Schaub, and then not only did he hit him, but drove him a few steps before driving him into the turf. That was unnecessary.

I think Mays should get fined, but not suspended. If Cushing hit Manning like that, apologized, and said that it wasn't his intent to injure, would you be clamoring for a suspension? Just answer yourself. No need to convince us.

4. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

The broncos board is going nuts right now...

5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

When Mays lowered his head it looked like classic spearing to me. And the NFL apparently agrees with a 1 game suspension.

6. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

I think it was hard hit but was not intentional. I think the suspension is too much.

7. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

8. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Also 50 large

9. Texans Spirit

Texans Spirit Rookie

the way i see it, 3 strikes and you're out for the season.

THAT will get his and every other player's attention.

:roast:

10. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I think the suspension is justified, Broncos fans would feel the same way if one of our guys put that hit on Manning. Heck, any team would regardless of the QB. I was absolutely livid at the time because it was back to back cheapshots but reading about Joe Mays going up to Schaub after the game and apologizing brought me back to earth. On to Tennessee.

11. toronto

toronto Hall of Fame

LOL the NFL can't win. They finally get something right this week and I've watched twitter and nfl fans/players go nuts again.

The sight of Schaub's helmet popping off and the shot of his ear is what did Mays in here. It just looks horrific.

12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Ear looks OK in that pic, doesn't it?

13. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

meh.....**** Denver and their fans. That hit was suspension worthy.

When Denver fans are done being pissed they lost then they can be pissed about this. LOL

14. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I retract my earlier post about not thinking it was deliberate intent to injure. DB posted this in another thread, and I hadn't seen this angle yet. It looks like a pretty clear case of leading with the crown of the helmet. Should have suspended his ass for a couple games.

15. TheDrifter

TheDrifter All Pro

With Del Rio calling the shots on D...

Pretty sure it was intentional. This is how he "coaches." If he can't out scheme you (often) he'll settle for trying to injure people.

16. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

My first thought after the play was "If my QB's neck was held together with bubblegum and duct tape I wouldn't be headhunting". I don't think it was just that hit either. If you ask me it was the combination of the two hits in succession that was so sick. 1 game and some pocket lint, I'm good with that. If he comes back and does it again then things get real dicey.

Mike

17. getball2dre

getball2dre Rookie

Justice is served.

18. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Look at the very tip of Schaub's nose, then move your eyes horizontally to the right on that line ..... does that look like Bit-O-Ear to you?

TimeKiller likes this.
  19. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

They all got their "Bronco-Vision Goggles (TM)" on. See nothing wrong with it until it happens to Peyton.

20. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

If a hit like that would happen on NFL Poster Boy Peyton Manning, the guilty player(s) would be heavily fined, suspended the remainder of the season, and have their first born taken from them.