LB Jerod Mayo

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Ole Miss Texan, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I've just started seeing a lot of love for this guy today and yesterday. He's never even been mention on these boards (or at least much at all) much less a possible 1st rd pick for us. Kind of sounds like Patrick Willis in the fact he played OLB up until his last year and then switched to MLB- so I guess those that didn't know him before hand thought he was only a MLB. Heck, I won't complain one bit if we select the best SEC linebacker- can't ever go wrong there...

I hadn't read much about him because I always thought he was more of a MLB. But after doing some reading last night/today, it sounds like he's able to play all three spots and is a great fit for the 4-3 defense. Hope we can turn this into constructive talk for those that have watched him a lot.

Jerod Mayo
    6'2" 230lbs
    Tennessee

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jerod-mayo?id=776

2. Ole Miss Texan

Jerod Mayo
    6'- 1 1/4"
    242lbs
    4.54 40-yd dash

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ilb/jerodmayo.html

3. Ole Miss Texan

Jerod Mayo LB
    6'1 242
    Tennessee Jr.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/prospects/jerod_mayo.html

4. Ole Miss Texan

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2008ILB.php

5. Ole Miss Texan

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1361

6. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

can't say i'd be upset with him in the first, plenty of posters say we can get a quality cb in the 3rd, all i want is a 16 game starter in the first

7. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

I think Mayo fits that bill pretty nicely.

8. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

sounds good.. i thought he was a MLB exclusively so hadn't done much research on him.. still would be 6 or 7 on my list..(if hes projected as our SAM lb )

9. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

It sounds like he's pretty good in coverage. One of the weakest spots on our defense is our inability to cover TEs and facing the Dallas Clarks and Alge Crumplers of the division we need a guy that wont get scorched. FF fans love starting Dallas Clark when he plays the Texans. Maybe this guy can change that?

10. Ole Miss Texan

Charlie Casserly was just on NFL Total Access on the NFL Network. His biggest surprise player was Jarod Mayo. Said he's his highest rated LB in the whole draft and reminds him of a certain other player, Demeco Ryans.

Bash Casserly all you want... but he WAS the one that drafted Demeco. I'm really starting to warm up to Mayo.

(I'm thinking: Albert, Williams, Mendenhall, Rivers, Mayo, Cason...)

11. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

I'm thinking: Albert, Williams, Mendenhall, Rivers, Mayo, Jenkin's, Stewart, Phillips

12. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I want to know who is perpetuating the myth that Casserly had any impact on the '06 draft.

He was only GM in title at that point and didn't make any decisions. In fact, I know I have heard/read from more than one place that the decision to draft DeMeco was made (or pushed) by one of our coaches (Holland I believe.) Casserly's fate with the Texans was sealed at that point. I'm sure his opinions were considered but the idea that a concrete decision be made by someone we knew had no future with the teams is ridiculous.

13. Ole Miss Texan

I don't think it'd be smart of us to think Casserly made all the decisions and had authority to make the decisions outright, because like you said, he was leaving. Until I hear Kubiak or McNair say that Casserly had '0' input on the draft, I won't believe it. I've been wondering a similar thing though, who DO you give credit to for the '06 Draft? I think if you said Kubiak, you wouldn't be telling the whole truth. Casserly? only to an extent. We may never know who exactly was the person that made each specific pick, there are just rumors here and there. But I also think we listened to a lot of what Casserly had to say during that time.

The point being, Casserly was the GM when Demeco was selected and HAD to of been onboard for the selection. (Even if he was against the pick, he was forced to live with it). He saw Demeco have an outstanding rookie season and another great sophomore year as well, in the nfl. For him to be comparing Mayo to Demeco (whom he knows of first hand) can only be a good thing.

14. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Don't forget Cason!

15. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

John McClain

Casserly comes home
    Former Texans general manager Charley Casserly, who works for CBS and the NFL Network, was at Reliant Stadium last week doing interviews and gathering information on the draft.

Casserly interviewed defensive end Mario Williams. In the last draft he ran for the Texans, Casserly used their first two picks on Williams and middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans.

http://130.80.29.3/disp/story.mpl/sports/mcclain/5714748.html

16. Polo

Polo Guest

Ole Miss Texan likes this.
  17. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I wouldn't mind this pick up. Any SLB, RB, CB, or LT of good value I am ok with drafting in the first.

The thing is that this guy is more of a WLB/MLB. Not sure he should be a SLB.

18. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Mayo reminds me more of Beason last year than Willis. Not blazing speed but crazy agility and agressiveness

I'd obviously take Rivers over him and maybe Conner.

19. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Ah, Beason was easily the second best LB in the draft last year and should of went alot higher.

20. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Mayo is the one guy I mentioned in the suprise pick thread. I'd love to have him. I think his stock is high enough where he may be getting looks above us with Rivers though. But I think he would make our LB core tops.