Latest Trade Scenario Discussed

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by bdiddy, Feb 1, 2006.

1. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Pure Speculation

Below is an outline of a rather complex draft scenario I have heard rumored:

Texans trade the number #1 pick to the Jets for the #4 pick and Johnathan Abraham.

Texans in turn trade the number #4 pick to the Broncos for their two first rounders (#22-acquired from Washington and #29, and a third round selection).

The Texans then would send the #22 pick, and two third round picks (the Texans second pick in the round and the third rounder acquired from Denver via the earlier trade) to the Packers for the #5 pick by which they would likely by D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Essentially, the Texans would net the following for trading the #1 pick and their second third round pick they currently hold:

1. The #5 pick (likely Ferguson)
    2. Johnathan Abraham
    3. The #29 pick

2. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

That is alot of trading.

3. jmerog

jmerog Veteran

Forgive the ignorance, but who is Abraham? I like Brick alot. Who do you see as a likely pick at 29?

4. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

you forgot to mention down there at the bottom that we would also lose two of our thirds.

Still a great deal for us if it goes down. I dunno though.. its kinda "eh" at the same time.

We get Abraham..which is great.. and we have the 5th, 29th, 33rd, and 65th pick on the first day.. which is pretty nice too.. thats 3 - 4 starters right there if we are careful about it. But how likely is it..really?.. the Packers move down 17 spots to grab two thirds? that is the part that makes no sense to me.

According to the draft value chart.. the 5th pick is worth 1700 points.. the combined worth of the 22nd, 66th, and 93rd pick(denvers 3rd) is 1168. Thats very short. We could throw in our #33 and reach 1748.. but that makes our situation look less "ideal"

Then we only have the #5, the #29, and the #66. We are essentially moving back 5 spots in the first.. moving up 4 in the second.. and losing a pick in the third.. just to get Abraham. Not quite sure that that is worth it when you have Reggie Bush available at #1

5. Scott747

Scott747 Rookie

Abraham is a very good defensive end that can play as a backer. 6th year and I believe it is a contract year. Would be a good pickup, but I'm not sure it would be worthy of the trade.

6. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

7. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Abraham is a three time All-Pro (4-3) defensive end.

The 29th pick is up in the air, most likely the team will go with the "best player available." This will depend heavily on free agency as well, if the Texans address the offensive line by sign Bently or Hutchenson, then I would look for the team to consider drafting: (1) a true 4-3 middle linebacker; (2) a number 2 wide receiver; (3) a bona fide number 2 corner; or (4) a guard.

8. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

DE for the Jets John Abraham
    http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187381 career stats.

9. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

10. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Ko Simpson, Leonard Pope, Broderick Bunkley, Thomas Howard, Eric Winston, Ashton Youboty, and Richard Marshall are all possibilities at #29.

11. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Your thought on the Packers was my first reaction when I heard the deal too, however, Green Bay is in serious rebuild mode and needs to acquire extra picks. Additionally, the draft chart is not all it is cracked up to be, ask Mike Ditka.

12. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Im sure the draft chart isnt really considered the "bible of draft pick trading".. and this is a deep draft, which increases the value of the picks.. but still. two thirds and the 22nd pick to move up to #5.... that isnt gonna fly. We are gonna need to sweeten the deal somehow. Either with a player, or another pick.

13. jmerog

jmerog Veteran

Thanks for the info. He looks like the kind of stud we need. I feel like a homer for not knowingwho he is. o yeah..i AM!
    Anyway, I'm for it but it doesn't look like a likely scenario

14. Scott747

Scott747 Rookie

Ok, he is going into his last year of his contract. We could get him for free next year if we really wanted him.....Bad trade.

15. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

eh.. there will be a feeding frenzy for him next year.. and there is the possibility he could be franchised... and even so.. we would end up paying a boatload to get him to come here instead of somewhere with a "winning" history.

16. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

John Abraham is a unrestricted FA this year. But will likly get franchised.

17. Scott747

Scott747 Rookie

True, I just think there will be better options for us as we approach draft day. I have a feeling someone at the last minute is going to throw us something special
    to draft down.

18. Scott747

Scott747 Rookie

Correct...I was reading the chart wrong....

http://users.adelphia.net/~tonysracing/

19. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

20. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

I dunno... to move down to the positioning we would like to (4-6 area).. all those teams seem to be pretty happy to stay where they are, or trade down themselves. They have alot of needs as well..or dont really want/need bush or lienart.

I think any really good offer that is made is most likely going to involve moving down farther than we want to.. into the middle of the first. We would then have to try and trade back into the top ten.. which is not a sure thing and may end up costing us more than we would want it to.

So.. all in all.. if we can get a good offer now, and we really do want to trade down... I think we should move on it.